Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:21 PM

handing in my notice @ work tomorrow

hi all,

i'm well fed up.

i work full time as a carer, and am a full time single mum of 2 children.

i went to the office at work earlier today to hand in some paper work and got an ear bashing about not being able to work bank holidays and how the other carers are fed up with having to cover my work!!!
please bear in mind that my parents are down in london so can't/ wont have the kids for me and they also spend most of their time out of the country!
my childrens father is 20 mins down the road but will not have them when i want/need him to as he says 'i'm not your dogs body or your babysitter'!!
during the school holidays both my children go to the local sports centre for ' holiday club', which costs me more than £100 per child per week!!!!!

do you think i'm right to hand in my notice at work and try to find a part time job that is term time only, i know it will suit us better.
i love my job as a carer, very satisfiying to know you've made a huge difference to someones day/life. i will be very sad not to be in this line of work anymore, but feel that their is only so much that i can do as a single parent!!!!!!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Ooh Mel, do be careful, maybe it's better to find another job before you hand in your notice. This is coming from someone who knows how hard it is to find work, I'm not stupid, far from it, but there just isn't much about and I'd hate you to get into financial difficulties as well as having to cope with all the other rubbish thats been going on lately.

As I said, there are always jobs for experienced carers up here, if you are going to take half a step why not take a whole one and do the whole moving thing. Use my place as a drop-in to look at properties/jobs if you want, if you're going to make a change make it a good one.

Sorry, I'm coming across all bossy, I don't mean to be, just think you are worth much more than all thats been chucked at you lately.

S x
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:38 PM
oh sheree you are so nice.

thanks so much.

there is a job at my childrens school going, so will find out about that tomorrow. i have to give 4 weeks notice to work before i leave anyway. i just find the constant pressure an awful lot to deal with. phone calls at 11p.m and 6.15a.m, paper work etc.
working all summer holidays when my poor kids are being put in a club rather than spending time with me.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Mel.
Its easier to get job when your in one, you dont have to explain why your out of work.
Have you tried your local schools for classroom support assistants, etc these would be idea as you'd have school hols off'
whatever you decide good luck hun you deserve some after the last few months.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:53 PM
oops we were typing together.....snap and great ideas
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
oh sheree you are so nice.

thanks so much.

there is a job at my childrens school going, so will find out about that tomorrow. i have to give 4 weeks notice to work before i leave anyway. i just find the constant pressure an awful lot to deal with. phone calls at 11p.m and 6.15a.m, paper work etc.working all summer holidays when my poor kids are being put in a club rather than spending time with me.
I know exactly what you mean, my last two jobs involved being on call 24/7, I even used to get phone calls when I had a holiday and was at a dog show. Thats why I'm not looking for anything high powered again, been there done that.

Good luck with the school, that would be ideal
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I think it would be a lot easier for you if you had a job in a school as you would have the same hols as the children then and perhaps when they are older you will be able to go back to being a carer. My daughter is a single parent and i know how difficult it is for her when there is school holidays.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Good luck with your search.Just remember to make sure that the school has the same hols as your kids......not all do, even within authorities.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Good luck with the School job it would be ideal.I think in education if your'e Children are unwell they are more lenient with that too I know my OH is with his Secretary if her Children are ill.
It must be hard being under all this pressure.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I think the school job sounds ideal I hope you get it so fingers crossed there, but like the others I wouldn't risk handing your notice in until you have something secured.
Good Luck.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >