Our sister sites
bustgan
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:30 PM

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - Possible dangerous dog. - Rottweiler

Hi Guys,

I need some advice urgently.

My dog who is a rottie had puppies and I sold them on to new owners. All dogs have been fine and I have received no note of problems with them.

However - I received a call tonight about 2 hours ago that one of the male has bitten his young son in the face and he has been rushed into A+E.

The man who took the dog is devastated and said that his wife and son will not be coming back if the dog is there.
Naturally I said I would take him for the night and will look into what will happen.
He told me that he doesn't even know what happened the dog came from a training lesson and he heard a growl and the male (George) had bit the little boy.

He told me that the pup sometimes did nip but he would correct him for that.

The pup is 7 months old.

This is where I need your advice.

Do any of you know anything about this sort of situation. I have been around rotties for approx 3-4years and never had any problems with them.

The parents of this pup are NOT aggressive.

What would you do? Would you get him trained? Rehomed? Or unfortunatly put to sleep?...

Please guys I need your help - (Not any clever comments on how bad the owners are as this is not gunna help me)

The male is in my kitchen right now and has shown NO signs of aggression to me or my other dog.

Please help.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2010, 11:38 PM
id find out actually what happened.

at the moment their is no detail.

so one could not determine a course of action at this time.

id wait until they have cooled down a bit before asking in a sensitive way
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
im not much help tbh, but i personally would look into exactly what happened before i decided... and definitely before even contemplating have him PTS. were the parents not there when it happened then? if they didnt see it. i personally would try and find out why this happened, and call a decent trainer in to help and then keep him myself, dealing with whatever the problem is (if there is one, if the child and dog were left alone then the child could have provoked this). thats just what i would do...
bustgan
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Thats all the info I got from them tonight.

I would love to keep George but unfortunatly I cannot - I have nephews and neices that are young some are babies, they come and visit me. I cannot run that risk.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Agree with everyone else, I wouldn't rush into anything until you know the facts. Anything might have happened to cause the dog to react. I think getting a thorough vet check of the dog is important to make sure there aren't any underlying health problems that might have caused the dog to react to being touched or something.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I can't offer much advice here but one thing I did pick up on was they heard the dog growl, before the bite? This indicates to me that the dog was not happy about something and warned the child, before attacking?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2010, 11:47 PM
like we said, we cant tell you what the risk is, as you dont have the right info yet.
couldnt have been an accident for all we know?
he might have been surprised, asleep, the kid may have tormented him, they might have been left unsupervised.

whose to say?

cant you find out more before you relatives visit?

there is alwasy supervision, separation, crates, segregation, leads, etc,when your nephews/nices visit
bustgan
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I've been reading all on the net and I don't know which laws apply to the UK and which to the USA.

I've read that alot of times it doesn't matter...once and dog has bitten its bitten. : ( this is so horrible.

He is such a lovely dog.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree with everyone else i'd want to know the full facts then go from there.
I'd also want a full vet check in case the dog is in pain at all.
HD /ED etc can come out about this age did both parents have good hip and elbow scores?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:53 PM
So sorry for your news.
I agree with others you are in need of the full story before making a decision.
It sounds like the child was left unsupervised, have they had Rotti's before are they experienced with the breed, was the dog tired after training, did the child tred on him accidentally etc etc.,

Hope you get to the bottom of things....good luck xx
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »