Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Today's Sun - 'Pit Bulls must die'

I'm flicking through a copy of The Sun (my OH's, not mine!) There's an article on pit bulls which says,

"A town has ordered owners of pit bull terriers to hand in their dogs to be destroyed - or face a fine or even jail.
The amnesty, the first in the UK - comes after a family was attacked by a pit bull in a park.

Owners of the dangerous breed in Ballymena, Co Antrim, have got until the end of January to give up their dogs.

Two have already been handed in and destroyed."

I'm assuming that the 4 breeds listed on the DDA
apply to this area of Ireland? If so, I guess this is what happens when you buy banned breeds.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2006, 06:57 PM
lol-only 'The Sun' could come up with such a catchy and trashy headline...:smt002 What next-Gordon Brown should be publicly flogged..?

Seriously though,as much as i loathe the DDA i think people shouldnt buy these breeds because they will end up being destroyed when caught and is such a tragic waste of life.I would prefer them to live happy lives in a country where they are tolerated and not revered which sadly is not the UK.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 07:03 PM
The Sun do publish some cr@p don't they.

IMO if pitbulls are banned, people should not be breeding them or buying them at all. The DDA don't ban dogs for no reason.

If they are not banned in other countries then so be it, but here in England they are.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Teenytiny - Almost everything the Sun prints is cr@p

You are 100% right of course, the law is the law, and if the dogs were bought / obtained after the DD act was passed then people are keeping them illegally.

Since I don't know, can someone say what happens if you owned a Pit Bull before the act came into force??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately people have imported american staffs into the UK without, it appears, being prevented from doing so. Again, like others, as much as I detest the DDA the law is the law no matter how badly worded and you have to accept the consequences of your actions should you choose to ignore it. Sadly in this case it's the dogs that suffer.
Becky
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Teenytiny - Almost everything the Sun prints is cr@p

Since I don't know, can someone say what happens if you owned a Pit Bull before the act came into force??

I think the dogs already in this country had to be neutered so they couldn't be bred from (I'm going from memory here, so I am not 100% certain)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I think the dogs already in this country had to be neutered so they couldn't be bred from (I'm going from memory here, so I am not 100% certain)
If pit bulls were owned pre DDA they had to be registered...also neutered and muzzled when out on public places. Any pre DDA pit bulls would now be dead (old age) so there SHOULD be no pit bulls.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
If pit bulls were owned pre DDA they had to be registered...also neutered and muzzled when out on public places. Any pre DDA pit bulls would now be dead (old age) so there SHOULD be no pit bulls.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........
Your right, I remember now. Why the manical laughter?

surely not that funny, or is it you???
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Funny that there are no pit bulls in this country then!!!!! That was what the laughter was for.
I reckon i see a pit bull or a pit bull X at least3 or 4 times a week!
There are a ot still around. In fact, I think a lot of people don't know they have a pit bull X and most that do are unaware of the DDA.
I have people openly tell me what percentage of pit bull is in their dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Hope I didn't offend anyone with the laughter, I was laughing at the SHOULD be no pit bulls, when there so obviously are lots of them...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »