Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

True Grit

Has anyone seen the new one and, if so, what did you think and have you seen the original?

It's my Dad's birthday coming up and he prefers an outing rather than a physical gift so I thought about taking him to see the new True Grit. However, we are both fans of the original so I didn't want us to be disappointed. Any thoughts?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
However, we are both fans of the original so I didn't want us to be disappointed. Any thoughts?
Can't help on the new one, but I would be careful especially as it's your Dad, IMO opinion the re-makes are never as good as the originals.

It's true that often the special effects are better on the new version but IMO the sound, lighting, dialogue, and filming are aimed at what I call the 'less discerning 20 somethings'

I expect the 20 somethings will disagree because the standard of production is all they've ever known
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I agree Harvey Take the new Clash of the Titans, great special effects but not a patch on the original!!

I'll give it some thought, I guess if we do go and see it, we could always go quite late and then if it's not very good we can always have a little snooze
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
It's my Dad's birthday coming up and he prefers an outing rather than a physical gift
Jane, do you think he would like this:-

http://www.greatexperiencedays.co.uk...sp?catType=Hot Air Balloon

The cheapest seems to be £150 which to me is a lot to spend on a day out but he might like it

ETA;-
Ooops, the link takes you to a page which says 'not currently available' but there are other 'experiences' on other pages so I've left it in just in case you want to browse
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
the new version and its fantastic coen-esque dialogue really made me want to read the book it was based upon.

but as a movie, it wasnt as entertaining as the original version, even though that deviated quite a bit from the book.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I am a huuuge John Wayne fan thanks to my dad and we both love the original. I went to see the new one with some mates and although a good film it didn't live up to the original.

Agree with KW though, it does stick more to the book and the actress playing Mattie Ross was pretty damn good!!! xoxox
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
as a movie, it wasnt as entertaining as the original version, even though that deviated quite a bit from the book.
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
I went to see the new one with some mates and although a good film it didn't live up to the original.
Hmmm, food for thought. I guess I could ask him if he wanted to see it, bearing in mind that he might not like it as much as the original. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for your input!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Jane, do you think he would like this:-

http://www.greatexperiencedays.co.uk...sp?catType=Hot Air Balloon
That's funny that you suggested that Harvey as I chose a hot air balloon flight for Dave's birthday a couple of years ago although we still haven't been on it yet though! Obviously it's all very weather dependent and they fly between March and October. We've had a few flights cancelled because of cloud, wind, fog etc. We are hopefully going on 28 March this year, two years later!!

I'll have a look through the different experiences and see if there is something there. Thanks for the ideas!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
We are hopefully going on 28 March this year, two years later!!
Oh you must tell us all about that and some piccies would be great if you can manage it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I will do - fingers crossed for good weather!!