Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:35 PM

Anyone watching young doctors on BBC3?

Just watching the new series of young doctors and think for their ages, they take on massive responsibilities.

I think Lucy has the making of being a very compassionate doctor.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I watched the last series and found it really interesting
Missed the first episode of the new series but catching up . Is Lucy the one who was so kind to the elderly gentleman, she is lovely
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 11:33 PM
No I can't stand the programme, the vast majority of the Doctors appear to be idiots and do nothing for Junior Doctors' image. The vast majority of the Junior Doctors I work with feel the same way, before anyone jumps on me from a great height!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
No I can't stand the programme, the vast majority of the Doctors appear to be idiots and do nothing for Junior Doctors' image. The vast majority of the Junior Doctors I work with feel the same way, before anyone jumps on me from a great height!
What makes you say that out of interest?

I've been watching and I find it interesting.

I thought MD training was 6 years (correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am!) so I'm a bit baffled that the youngest of them is only 22 years old.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What makes you say that out of interest?

I've been watching and I find it interesting.

I thought MD training was 6 years (correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am!) so I'm a bit baffled that the youngest of them is only 22 years old.
They're all ridiculously young, it's bloody depressing! I think the training lasts 5 years then they start on the wards as FY1's, at least that's how I understand it??? I don't pay a lot of attention if I'm honest, too busy usually!

I do find it a tad unrealistic, isn't the tagline something like "Junior Doctors - Your Life In Their Hands", when, as one of the FY1's said last week, all they have to do is bleep their SHO, Reg or even the consultant if they're struggling with anything. That said it is of course an entertainment programme first and foremost, so certain facts being twisted it's to be expected I suppose.

Doctors can get away with an awful lot in their first year and every August is dreaded by Nursing Staff as we get brand spanking new HO's from Medical School who often don't have a clue. Which is understandable, but it's scary how many seriously incompetent Doctors that are out there that we have to prop up. Not great when we already have our own role to fulfil

In reality what the tagline should be is "Junior Doctors - If They Can't Work Out How To Save Your Life, Then There Is A Hospital Full Of Highly Qualified Staff Who Can Instead"!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Couldn't agree more!! LOL August is the worst time of year for nurses! Luckily where I work the most junior doctor is an SHO! In my last job I used to tell the junior docs what to prescribe and the doses.
I think the programme is quite realistic in how new docs are...mostly crap! I remember paging one to come and prescribe some pain relief for one of our patients and when he came down he asked what he should prescribe. I said Tramadol is what's uually prescribed. Now bearing in mind all our patients' kidneys are caput and they're all on dialysis, he said to me "oh no he can't have that...it may damage his kidneys" In reply I said "he's on dialysis, his kidneys don't work anyway and are damaged beyond repair...how much more damage do you think it can do?". He still refused to prescribe it and I had to get a consultant to prescribe it instead!! Honestly, these guys are supposed to be intelligent but I've seen more common sense in a brick than in doctors!!