View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I think it is extremely lucky that all the 'instant experts' as you call them, HAVEN'T actually done it themselves. The 'experts' who have done it seem to have made enough of a mess of it.

I can't see a problem with losing some breeds---but then I like all dogs not just one breed so I am coming at it from a different angle. I have had loads of different dogs but lots of wsd's and they have all been totally different in every way.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Can I ask another question, please?

If we were to merge breeds and come up with types (or perhaps even new breeds) of dogs, would that necessarily mean a healthier population? In other words, how would it be ensured that the problems we see now in various breeds aren't actually doubled-up??
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Would losing a lot of breeds leaving the remaining ones healthier be such a bad thing?

I know that purists will argue yes, but if we could keep the general traits that make breeds what they have become so popular for, does uniformity of looks really matter to any great degree if the benefits are healthier dogs?
Its a good point. I hope things are not so bad that this needs to be the case - but I get the feeling in some breeds this kind of may be the case

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I think it is extremely lucky that all the 'instant experts' as you call them, HAVEN'T actually done it themselves. The 'experts' who have done it seem to have made enough of a mess of it.

I can't see a problem with losing some breeds---but then I like all dogs not just one breed so I am coming at it from a different angle. I have had loads of different dogs but lots of wsd's and they have all been totally different in every way.

rune
Yes exactly if it was for the long term health of the species then I think it would be better to loose some breeds
and I agree too, I have known lots of GSD's labs and BC's and every one has their own caracter - I admit more so in the collies

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Can I ask another question, please?

If we were to merge breeds and come up with types (or perhaps even new breeds) of dogs, would that necessarily mean a healthier population? In other words, how would it be ensured that the problems we see now in various breeds aren't actually doubled-up??
I would imagine by firstly carefully picking the breeds to merge - and being careful which dogs were bred from
and then more importantly totaly changing our ideas on how we breed after that
No inbreeding, no overusing one popular stud

I have read plenty of things saying that dogs have far far more genetic illnesses than for example the human population
so actually random breeding to unrelated individuals is more healthy than picking the best of the best (especially when the critieria is more often than not the ability to win)
rare conditions remain rare amoungst humans simply because we are not doubling up, fixing genes or any of the things we do with dogs

I hope its not too late but the more I am looking into it it really sounds like the way we are breeding pedigree dogs is not sustainable in the long run and I believe something needs to be done else pretty soon puppy farmers will have the healthiest dogs
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
this is frankly insulting - I breed my Belgian Shepherd Dogs NOT for financial gain ....or kudos....or to be part of the breed club but because I have a passion for the breed - it would tear my heart out to lose the breed in some amorphous mix of continental shepherding breeds where their unique qualities are merged with those of the GSD and Dutch Shepherd to become a generic type ( and I'm pretty sure the GSD enthusiasts on here would feel exactly the same way about their breed ! ).

To be honest I'm sick to the back teeth of all the instant experts who spout 'the best way' for us to maintain our breeds without EVER having done so themselves.

If the 'way forward' is the destruction of our breeds then you can count me out !
as i said vested interests
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I hope its not too late but the more I am looking into it it really sounds like the way we are breeding pedigree dogs is not sustainable in the long run and I believe something needs to be done else pretty soon puppy farmers will have the healthiest dogs
think thats taking it a bit far really.... there are plenty of people out there who do things right... how many puppy farmers do you know that care about health testing, temperament, inbreeding and overbreeding?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
"Quote BenMcfuzzyugs"I have read plenty of things saying that dogs have far far more genetic illnesses than for example the human population
so actually random breeding to unrelated individuals is more healthy than picking the best of the best (especially when the critieria is more often than not the ability to win)
rare conditions remain rare amoungst humans simply because we are not doubling up, fixing genes or any of the things we do with dogs"

Actually I believe there are about 350 different genetic illnesses and Humans have thousands.

I also know more humans with genetically inherited illnesses that I know dogs with genetically inherited illnesses.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
as i said vested interests
.......and here's where I bow out
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
.......and here's where I bow out
bit like the Kennel Club have done on the debate.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Based on what evidence?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...e-fancys-sins/
an interesting article that covers what Im saying quicker than I can as im busy tonight
Page 37 of 40 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >