View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dan_aka_jack
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Adverse reaction to Promeris Duo - alternative flea meds?

Dear List,

We have a one and a half yearold Golden Retriever called Scout. We have given her ProMeris Duo to treat flee infections 4 times now. I'm really quite concerned about what ProMeris is doing to her.

Last night I gave her her 4th round of ProMeris. As soon as she saw me get the pack out of the draw she bolted away. She wouldn't come to me so my girlfriend had to spend some time calming her down. As I approached her (holding the ProMeris), Scout tried her absolute hardest to pull herself free from my girlfriend- Scout was quite literally petrified of the ProMeris. I can honestly say that she's never reacted so negatively to anything before. It was as if I was holding a red-hot poker and was about scold her.

Scout is usually a very calm and friendly dog - she's not afraid of thunder, fireworks or anything like that.

Eventually, she calmed down enough to allow me to apply the ProMeris as per the instructions. She immediately started to act strangely. She was clearly very dazed, her breathing was very fast and shallow and she was salivating excessively. When she walked, her movements were timid and it looked a little as if her muscles were shaking slightly. It certainly looked as if she wasn't in full control of her movements. She become totally unresponsive to voice commands. Frankly, I feel a bit like I've done her harm by giving her ProMeris.

Reading the leaflet that came with the ProMeris makes some frightening reading. I've been Googling ProMeris and there are some very unpleasant reports on the Internet, including one report of a dog having died after being given ProMeris (but this is unsubstantiated - it could just be a rumour).

Please may I ask two questions of the community here on Dogsey.com:

1) Has your dog had a negative reaction to ProMeris?

2) I've decided that I definitely don't want to give Scout ProMeris again. She's terrified of the stuff so it clearly does something very unpleasant to her. What alternatives are there for getting rid of flees? I've heard that many flee meds have bad side effects so I'm eager to try "alternative" therapies for flees. For example, does garlic really work?

I should point out that we bought the ProMeris directly from the vet - there are some rumours on the Internet of people faking ProMeris for sale on the Internet.

Many thanks for your help,
Jack
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I`ve not heard of this one - but I would not give my dogs any medication I was unsure of. There are alternatives - find one you`re happy with. Does your dog have fleas? I only flea-treat my dogs when they need it.

eta I use Stronghold which is also used to treat ear mites and worms.
dan_aka_jack
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Many thanks for the very quick reply! We only treat our dog when she's definitely got fleas. There are loads of dogs at our local park and she frequently usually with several dogs a day which I guess is where she gets the fleas from.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Interesting one this; I did not flea treat my dogs this year and neither of them apparently have fleas .... loads of rabbits and wildlife as well as interaction with dogs at the park. I come across the odd tick now and again, but not often ..... it was much the same with my previous dogs! When fleas cropped up I would apply a flea collar for a wee while which I found and have found over the years, to be effective, but fleas have never been a real problem. The one common denominator has been that all of my dogs have had a little garlic in their diet. Have you tried a bog standard flea collar at all ?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I haven't used ProMeris myself and would never do so after another Malamute owners dogs suffered from adverse reactions. I tend to use Frontline or Stronghold if I go down the chemical route although normally I just give garlic
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Like other I haven't used the product you speak of, mine have garlic and if they don't then I use tea tree spray. Fortunately we don't have problems with flea's not bad as we have 5 cats too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Jack have you seen this article by one of our members Roy ...

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146

I don't use flea treatments other that Tee Tree oil and garlic. I comb my dog after walks and vacum the house every day,I also air the dog bedding daily and I never have a problem with fleas.

If I was going to use a flea treatment I would do so in the vets so that if there was an adverse reaction the vet would be on hand.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I would also add, that treating your house is as important as your dog. I know you probably have but just thought I would say
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by dan_aka_jack View Post
We have given her ProMeris Duo to treat flee infections 4 times now. I'm really quite concerned about what ProMeris is doing to her.

Last night I gave her her 4th round of ProMeris. As soon as she saw me get the pack out of the draw she bolted away. She wouldn't come to me so my girlfriend had to spend some time calming her down. As I approached her (holding the ProMeris), Scout tried her absolute hardest to pull herself free from my girlfriend- Scout was quite literally petrified of the ProMeris. I can honestly say that she's never reacted so negatively to anything before. It was as if I was holding a red-hot poker and was about scold her.

Scout is usually a very calm and friendly dog - she's not afraid of thunder, fireworks or anything like that.

Eventually, she calmed down enough to allow me to apply the ProMeris as per the instructions. She immediately started to act strangely. She was clearly very dazed, her breathing was very fast and shallow and she was salivating excessively. When she walked, her movements were timid and it looked a little as if her muscles were shaking slightly. It certainly looked as if she wasn't in full control of her movements. She become totally unresponsive to voice commands. Frankly, I feel a bit like I've done her harm by giving her ProMeris.

Reading the leaflet that came with the ProMeris makes some frightening reading. I've been Googling ProMeris and there are some very unpleasant reports on the Internet, including one report of a dog having died after being given ProMeris (but this is unsubstantiated - it could just be a rumour).

Please may I ask two questions of the community here on Dogsey.com:

1) Has your dog had a negative reaction to ProMeris?

2) I've decided that I definitely don't want to give Scout ProMeris again. She's terrified of the stuff so it clearly does something very unpleasant to her. What alternatives are there for getting rid of flees? I've heard that many flee meds have bad side effects so I'm eager to try "alternative" therapies for flees. For example, does garlic really work?

I should point out that we bought the ProMeris directly from the vet - there are some rumours on the Internet of people faking ProMeris for sale on the Internet.

Many thanks for your help,
Jack
Hi Jack , it could also be that after subsequent doses you dog has developed an intolerance to ProMeris . Whatever the reasons for the behaviour it is a good idea to make a note of the reaction also inform your vet who should be keeping a register of adverse effects on any drug prescribed. I certainly would never use the drug again or any preparation containing the same ingredients, if your dog is developing an intolerance it could become more severe each time the drug is given.

I hope your dog is ok now .
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh poor dog! sounds nasty
Last year I sat with my wee puppy and a tube of pesticides and decided therre and then to not flea treat unless I really needed to
Touch wood I have had no problems in over a year - and we are around lots of dogs, wildlife and woodlands
I have heard that the raw diet makes them less likely to get fleas
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >