Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brusta
New Member!
Male 

23-02-2010, 09:24 AM

PLEASE HELP; last throw of dice.

Hi,
New to the forum and facing a nite of worry.

My 14 year old Staffy hasn't been eating well for some weeks. This last week has seen a big deterioration and he isn't eating at all now. The start of the week saw him being sick 3-4 each day (lots of bile) and terrible smelly breath (even when not being sick).

The last 2 nights his back legs have become very weak and he is getting a lot of mucus in his eyes ans some sticky clear saliva dripping from his mouth which he has never had before really in his life.

He isn't being sick right now but his stomach is empty i guess?. He is taking occasional water and when he is not sleeping (most of the time with heavy type breathing) he moves to another place in the house but spends ages just standing there and staring.

The history is that some weeks back we took him to vet who wasn't really able to properly checks the dog out because he became a little distressed (always been like that; a nervous dog I guess). The vet just said that (at the time) that his decreased appetite, really smelly breath and lump on his leg possibly pointed to cancer and suggested probably too old to check him further.

The dilemma I have tonight is knowing that my mind suggests I should maybe have him put to sleep tomorrow but as I sit here with him (for his comfort and my monitoring) I should do a little research to check things best I can.

I guess my questions relate to asking if the problem list he has (as above items) are real typical signs of cancer?. The mucus, the staring etc. He has had a cough for several months that is a bit similar to a cat trying to throw out fur balls.

I guess I am just assuring myself that they are all typical cancer symptoms if anyone can advise in the next few hours PLEASE. I live in hope that maybe (just maybe?) there is something else that this points to as we get closer to the dreaded day possibly tomorrow (ref confirming the vet should put him to sleep).. I do recollect that a rat had been around his play area several times this last few weeks but not enclosed so the rat just runs past then departs after a few moments.

Are there any other things I can look for as he lies here. Someone mentioned gums but they seem normal I think.

PLEASE HELP with words of knowledge.. THANKYOU
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh dear what a dilemma, I feel so sorry for you.
If he really seems sick only you know.
I don't know what to say, other than to go back to the vet and take his advice.
Thinking of you, please let us know how you get on.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Whatever is going on it sounds like he is in a lot of discomfort poor soul. Either way he needs help doesn't he?
brusta
New Member!
Male 

23-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the kindest words.
I suppose we are all different and I seem to want to double check somehow (googling) that the symptoms I overviewed (especially the new eye mucus and saliva) point to cancer as well as the other more obvious signs. The vet is scheduled to visit tomorrow for likely the dogs last day. Anyone know of some symptons sites that may cover these noticeable issues?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:44 AM
oh Hun, I really feel for you.

I have to say that from my very limited experience it does sound similar to my old boy Kip, who we had to have pts 2 years ago because of cancer.

It seemed to come on relatively fast - he was not quite his usual self over about 2 or 3 weeks..not eating, appearing distant. He didn't have mucus/saliva as you describe though.

He did perk up a bit though just before I had to go away on business and I left him happy that he had actually eaten well and seemd brighter. But then he went down hill fast and my OH took him to the vets. The vet found a massive lump in his stomach. He did give OH the option of trying to operate, but said that with Kip's age and his general health, the chances of him surviving the op and making a good recovery were exceedingly remote. My poor OH had to make the decision, but I know that it was the right one.

The only thing I can suggest is that you maybe have a word with the vet about whether it is possible to sedate your dog so that the vet can have a good look at what is going on. If he finds what he suspects, he just won't bring him round, but if it is something else which the vet thinks may be treatable, he can.

Hugs to you, its never easy knowing what to do, but I do believe in the saying 'better a day too soon than an hour too late'.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I really don't have anything to add but just wanted to say I am so sorry. I think you know in yourself if it's time to let them go. It really is horrible when our dogs get old.

Helen
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Very hard and many thoughts to you and him.

Speaking from my experience I would ring the vet and get them to come to my home to pts.That way he will not be as distressed and neither will you. He may even be up for trying to lick some pate from the end of a pepperami stick while you hold it and him.

If the vet refuses to come out change your vet and find one who will. You are paying thay do what you want them to.

He deserves not to be upset at the end of his life and so do you.

love and light

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I`m so sorry. This is the hardest thing isn`t it? Watching an old friend in pain and having to decide when enough is enough. It never gets easier.
Whatever you decide, remember that you made the decision with love. And your boy will go surrounded by love - which is all any of us can wish for.
x
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your poorly dog - its so hard to know when to take that terrible decision, but it is a decision we owe them for all the companionship they have given to us throughout their lives.

In your circumstances I would want a second opinion from another vet who might well try to do a better examination and not just guess at the problem. To me sticky saliva and blurry eyes means dehydration, not eating and being sick points to liver disease and lack of communication and staring eyes may mean he is in pain.

I'm afraid in an older dog the result might well be the same but it may be possible to treat some of the above and alleviate the pain to that he has a more comfortable and peaceful time remaining.

Thalice's Mum
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I cannot offer advice, but know that as a dog lover you will do the right thing if it is necessary - and may even feel a little relief amongst the sadness.

This is the hardest part of having dogs, but we owe it to them to relieve suffering if nothing can be done to help it.

I expect that by now you will have seen your vet and a decision one way or the other may have been made. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you whatever the outcome, because even if you keep trying in the hope that he will come right again, the stress of watching and waiting is terrible. (I do know a little of this, having been through it with two ponies and two dogs........three of them were pts at the right time, but I still wonder about the fourth and it haunts me).

I am new to this site, but from what I have seen the people here will happily act as a large shoulder to cry on should it be necessary.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >