Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Kids - How do you deal with them ?

My daughter is pretty busy during the week with cadets and after school clubs etc...
Anyway she has a lovely friend Tiff,from Primary school,who we are encouraging her to go about with,they go swimming together,stay over at her house and here etc...

Anyway Tiff goes to a different school to Liz,so they only really see each at cadets and weekends,Liz has a couple of friends which I or her Dad doesn't like.

Anyway a group of them knocked our door (about 12 of them)at 7pm last night,Liz told them she wasn't going out,she was doing her homework,having a bath and sorting her stuff out for school today.
They insisted on standing outside our house shouting up at her bedroom window and generally making a complete nuisance of themselves,we ignored it but they were there for at least an hour causing mayhem,I was so tempted to go out and tell them they had 5 mins to move on or I would phone the police,I didn't because I thought Liz might get aggro from them at school.
I spoke to Liz about it and told her to have a word with them at school today,one of the group Cody one of Liz's unsavoury friends,doesn't have to be in till 9pm,she's 12 years old,of course we are unreasonable Parents in not letting our daughter out till this time of night

I have told our daughter that she is not going out till that time of night in the dark on a school night,that we care about her and what happens to her, her response was were overprotective arrrrgh!

I have told her again this morning to have a word,because next time I will phone the Police.

Any suggestions how to deal with them would be great!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I seem to remember just saying can you move on now please, I am sure your Parents wouldn't like it if my Sons and their Friends hung around outside your house shouting.
The other thing you can say is best move on, you never now the Neighbours may get fed up and call the Police, they are not as easy going as me It is difficult because like you say you don't want Liz to get aggro at School.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think you are being unreasonable - I certainly wouldn't be letting my daughter at 11/12 wander round on the dark streets either school night or not!

I think I would have gone out and jokingly but politely asked them to stop making a racket and go and find something far more interesting to do!!!

I think if done the right way then hopefully no aggro caused.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think you're being over protective, just protective!

Charlie was tucked up in bed at 9pm when he was 12.

Firstly, if they go out what do they do? I always explained to Charlie that if all they are doing is hanging then it can be very intimidating for people, especially the elderly. He's no angel but he understood that so just doesn't do it. I've also explained to him that is there is trouble and he's out he could get blamed, wheras if he's in and I know what he's doing no one can do that, esp as he is so distinctive looking.

I do however make our home open house to his friends within reason..... and there is one friend who he knows we don't like, and whom he now doesn't like as we were right about him.

I think because his friends know me as a cool Mum, as in I provide food & drink and will play games with them, they take it all the more seriously when I do have to have a word.

Charlie is 16 now and is usually in bed by 10.30 on school nights. He did stay up until 11.15 this weekend as we were watching a movie but he was falling asleep at the end! He's no nerd either just sensible and we've got to the point where he kind of realises mother does know best after all lol.

As for them standing outside shouting then I would def ask them to move on as Lynn says.