View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amanda-jane
Dogsey Junior

21-02-2005, 09:36 PM

grooming

Hi ya i am new to this site and looking for abit of advice on my dog i have probably put this under the wrong heading. I have just started showing my 7 month old staffy and i have noticed that her fur looks very thick and dull up to everyone elses dogs. She is fed well on good biscuits and is groomed often. Help what am i doing wrong i have even tried putting baby oil on her after i have bathed her but it doesn't seem to help much.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 09:39 PM
whats she fed on? when you say biscuits i presume you mean a dried complete
You can try adding tinned sardines or mackeral once in a while with the oil they are in

Also show people tend to wipe the dog down with a chamois as it adds shine

By the way what colour is she- as some colours seem to reflect shine better than others
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 10:02 PM
How often do you bath her? Bathing too often with the wrong shampoo can remove coat oils.
Other than that as Lel says try adding some oil to her diet
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Hiya Amanda,
As Lel says, the colour can have something to do with it. I have two Staffs, Kai is black/brindle and Keisha who is red, Kai has a much nicer shine than she has because the light reflects more on dark coats i think she has a lovely shine but i won't see it until i'm out with the dogs in the sun!!!! I feed my dogs sardines in oil 2-3 times a week mixed with pasta (idea from Lel) and their usual Superdog dry complete, for breakfast they'll have usual Superdog mixed with a raw egg or scrambled egg (not every morning though) also raw chicken is good!!! it all helps, keep them healthy and they will shine inside and out

Can i just add, i bath my dogs once a week (they stink lol) in a colourant shampoo, it works for my dogs then (when not showing) i'll use either coconut oil or aloe vera to give them a boost!! I am still learning lots about my dogs, DW and its members have taught me a lot. If you can help it, don't use any oils on your pups coat befor a show as i'm sure it's not allowed but i'm not a 100% on that one.

Good luck with future shows