Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2006, 07:29 AM

Teaching the "Watch me" command for AJL

Here's the way to teach this command, I've also found a link which may explain it better than me...

There are as in all dog training methods small variations in training this, I'd use a clicker for instance, but you don't have to.

This is great for getting attention initially, and if trained lots will override distractions. It's a very strong foundation exercise for further training and bonding.

There's also a certain amount of what's called "classical conditioning" going on here, which means the dog is learning that doing things with the owner is fab!

The first rule when setting up is to train when the dog is a bit hungry, (so feed main meal after, not before) and also when the dog is not distracted (so start at home in the living room, all the best trained dogs are trained from here ).

Take a very smelly piece of something the dog loves - cheese, hot dog, sausage, liver, chicken etc.

Hold it in your hand and bring your hand up to your face close to your eyes. Say "Watch me!" in an interesting but calm voice.

When the dog looks at your face, say "Yes!" excitedly and immediately reward with the food treat.

The dog may look for only 1 second at first - that's fine, use it! Be quick and time your Yes! correctly. (Eventually you will be able to keep the dog doing Watch me for about 10 -20 seconds but, be sure to build this up over a longish period of time - weeks not days).

Practise again, and do several repetitions a few times a day. It's easy with a clicker to mark the moment when the dog looks at your eyes, but the Yes! will do fine.

Next step is to put your hand up without the food treat in it - have the food reward in a pot near you or on your person in a bumbag. The dog should still watch you, but if not you may need to wait the dog out a bit. If the dog really doesn't look at you, you can always go somewhere incredibly boring like the bathroom and then reward for when the dog does do "Watch me!" Always reward with a Yes! and food reward.

As the dog understands you can take your hand away and the exercise should still work, if not go back to using the hand by the face.

Gradually add distractions by taking this exercise into other rooms, and when it is perfect there, into the garden. Finally when the exercise is perfect there, into the park or wherever you normally walk/train.

Over time, start to ask for perhaps 2 lots of Watch me, and instead of food the first time, lots of praise. Maybe a little game. But always give top value food rewards often, to keep up the interest.

Some dogs are nervous of looking into a human's eyes, these will need to be given more time and rewarded for tiny glances in the right direction. If a dog is truly uncomfortable I wouldn't train this exercise.

Try also checking this out:

http://www.doggroups.com/dog-training/item/3/catid/2

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...p_WatchMe.html

If you Google " teach your dog to watch me dumb friends league " you will come up with a particularly good one, I can't do a linky for it as it is a pdf format and I don't know how!

Anway I hope that's a bit helpful, for AJL and for anyone who wants to get their dog's attention

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
The first rule when setting up is to train when the dog is a bit hungry, (so feed main meal after, not before) and also when the dog is not distracted (so start at home in the living room, all the best trained dogs are trained from here ).
Take a very smelly piece of something the dog loves - cheese, hot dog, sausage, liver, chicken etc.
Hold it in your hand and bring your hand up to your face close to your eyes. Say "Watch me!" in an interesting but calm voice.

Wys
x
Hi Wys thank you for that, do you mind if I add one thing, it may be obvious but is worth mentioning particularly if you are training a puppy.

Before following the first step above you need to get the puppy's attention, so take a tiny piece of treat and give it to the puppy so he is aware of the possibilities of such delicious morsels then take a second piece of treat, put it under the puppies nose but don't give it instead '''Hold it in your hand and bring your hand up to your face close to your eyes. Say "Watch me!" in an interesting but calm voice.....''
now proceed as above''

This method along with others is also included in Shadowboxer's article ''Basic Puppy Training'' at the top of the page..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Mini, that's a good tip!
Thanks for adding it on, it all helps doesn't it

I did take a look at the articles but didn't see one specifically on teaching this, but did think I'd read it before on here. I just couldn't see where.

Wys
x
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Wysiwyg - thank you so much!!!

T'internet is down at home, so didnt see this at the weekend, but will be trying when i get home!!!

I'll let you know how i get on. Or dont get on, as the case may be!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Great post Wys. I will be giving this a try and checking out all of Shadowboxer's threads too very soon!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Great thread.... we've never taught Max "Watch Me" before, but have decided its a useful command (especially since the KC class debacle!)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:08 AM
No probs,

I'm glad it's been a helpful post.

I hope it is explained well enough, I'd love to know how things go