Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:06 PM

An Idea To Help?

We all know its a bad time for rescues/pounds with more dogs/pups being dumped & those unlucky to be PTS.

I thought if I could put out an appeal in my area & outside for urgent fosterers & transporters over the christmas & new year period it would at least help a bit with the overflow of animals? The advertising will be posters ads & anything else worth trying. As rescues are busy i could take calls & pass on any info & willing volunteers .......whatever.

Im sure once the appeal is out there would be folk willing to foster over this period, it might not be ideal to some but would be a hellof out better for a dog to free up kennel space for dogs on the PTS list.

How does that sound to you ?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I would contact rescues first, as fosters need to be assessed by someone from the rescue, and fosters for poundies need to be experienced.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by MBll
We all know its a bad time for rescues/pounds with more dogs/pups being dumped & those unlucky to be PTS.

I thought if I could put out an appeal in my area & outside for urgent fosterers & transporters over the christmas & new year period it would at least help a bit with the overflow of animals? The advertising will be posters ads & anything else worth trying. As rescues are busy i could take calls & pass on any info & willing volunteers .......whatever.

Im sure once the appeal is out there would be folk willing to foster over this period, it might not be ideal to some but would be a hellof out better for a dog to free up kennel space for dogs on the PTS list.

How does that sound to you ?
I think that's a very decent and responsible idea. Well done.
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I would contact rescues first, as fosters need to be assessed by someone from the rescue, and fosters for poundies need to be experienced.

Yes I was wanting replys from rescues to get their fedback. Any willing fosteres would be homechecked by rescues before going ahead.
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I forgot to add would it help rescues if I contacted the boarding kennels in my area to find out if they have any space for dogs although this would need to be paid for ...also see if they could reduce it for rescues? I would think that dogs would need vaccinated if this possible ?

If there is a homechecker in my area glasgow & can homeckeck me I could offer tofoster over this period.

I don't know me brain is hurting with all this thinking ...its no used to over working lol lol lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by MBll
I forgot to add would it help rescues if I contacted the boarding kennels in my area to find out if they have any space for dogs although this would need to be paid for ...also see if they could reduce it for rescues? I would think that dogs would need vaccinated if this possible ?

If there is a homechecker in my area glasgow & can homeckeck me I could offer tofoster over this period.

I don't know me brain is hurting with all this thinking ...its no used to over working lol lol lol
Dogs from rescues will usually be vaccinated, and neutered if it has been possible.
Dogs from pounds - there is no way to tell if they have been vaccinated if they are strays - so think of them as unvaccinated, not flea/worm treated - and also unassessed - hence the reason for experienced fosters.

I'm sure if you contact a rescue near to you, and be home checked you culd become a fosterer for them.
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Not many responseto this ...i take its abad then idea then lol I thought it could come in handy for those that are saying they need more fosterers & transporters etc.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 03:56 PM
You need to directly contact rescues really, tell them what you can do to help
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
You need to directly contact rescues really, tell them what you can do to help
definately. Most rescue's don't have time to read through all the threads of help offered as they are too busy taking care of all the matters relating directly to the animals. There are enough contacts mentioned throughout this forum for you to PM or telephone people and offer your services, so please be patient and make that initial step yourself
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
... and kind of demonstrating that, I only just read this, sorry.

We have a few people who have volunteered to run ads in their local papers for the Oldies Club and Staffycross. Here's the one that's going to be running Wiltshire area:

The idea is to get people coming in to the websites where we have much more space to explain the various volunteer opportunities.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >