Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
there is nothing wrong with treats
some people who dont understand positive training think it is all about filling our dogs with treats all the time
i think they can be a great motivator, i have been using them to teach my dog to like playing with toys, and then when the association is made the joy is transfered to the toy without the need to have treats
its just like pavlov did with his dog, they can learn to associate something with a totaly different thing

i have actualy heard of people going up to someone with an assistance collie and lifting its tail up cos cm said that makes dogs happy, no understanding of the tailset of a working collie

and it again shows total lack of understanding on cms part
put the dogs tail up, now its happy, pin it on the floor, now its submissive, its like a doctor helping someone with depression by poking the sides of their mouth up and sticking them there, look smiling, your cured

and the exercise thing has always bugged me
the last i read on that was cm saying it is becsuse the walk is the hunt, your pack of dogs should follow behind you and not sniff or pay attention to anything but you

how arrogant, that your dog needs no more mental stimulation than watching your backside wabble
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Sorry darling, got carried away there! A bit like when the anti-CM-ers talk about stringing dogs up !!
So please explain to me what CM is doing in this clip if it is not stringing up? The lead is holding the dog's front feet off the ground and is pulling so tight the dog goes blue. I'm waiting on tenterhooks to hear your explanation on that one!
Becky
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I like the way Victoria Stilwell trains dogs, as for treats I take it out of her food allowance, or give tiny bits of chopped carrot.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Iwas watching a CM vid on youtube yesterday to get tips on training your dog around chickens (my new additions coming next week). He basically just hit the dog in the face til it wouldn't come near any more. I won't be trying his method!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Good point!
Why doesn't he expand into things that really make dogs happy, rather than making their owners satisfied with their dog's behaviour? Environmental enrichment with zoo animals has progressed quite a bit more than just exercise; it involves social activity and mental stimulation and goodness me, that's a bit of a Eureka moment, no games no fun and he even takes the joy out of owning a dog somewhat... I don't see a partnership thing here at all, just a 'do as you're told'.
He does !! His guys get rollerbladed, hiked in the hills above LA first thing in the morning, have lovely paddling pools in their large back yard to swim in, seems to me they have plenty of mental and physical stimulation!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So please explain to me what CM is doing in this clip if it is not stringing up? The lead is holding the dog's front feet off the ground and is pulling so tight the dog goes blue. I'm waiting on tenterhooks to hear your explanation on that one!
Becky

Darling, I'm at work so can't spend too long looking - could you tell me which dog? shadow, Norton or the other one?

Thanks
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
What's the problem with treats (maybe I missed tha bit)?

I use them all the time when Maggie's off lead. She has a very strong desire to chase and hunt and becomes completely oblivious to me if she spots something. I therefore have to keep her attention on me and I take loads of toys to play with her and treat her everytime she comes back to me.
I teach her tricks and she gets treats, I hide and she finds me and she gets treats. We do agility and she gets treats.

I don't see the problem, she's learning a positive association. It works for us but i know treats might not do it for every dog.
The problem is mainly with me Janie !! I would have to remember to always have treats with me ... I am not that perfect a human being I am afraid. I prefer to use my voice, my hands and my legs to reward my dog ... they are usually always to hand !!

I have a dreadful memory, which is why I am such a Cesar fan because I don't need any gadgets or things I have to remember to make sure are always with me.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
to me it looked like the dog was biting purely because he was being strangled. the kick from cm startled the dog and started the whole thing off. i'd be very interested to hear the explanation too!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Did you not see the episode where he was dealing with a bulldog, that never got walked because it chased skateboards...

His answer was to get his skateboard out, and run that dog almost into oblivion to tire him out.

Tell me, what sort of person would do such a thing to a totally unfit dog, .. the dog was on his knees at the end..

Is that being a responsible knowledgeable trainer
Rubbish !

Sorry, that's a bit rude, but what you have said is just nonsense. That's my interpretation, to which I am entitled. You are entitled to your interpretation.

Talking about treadmills, I have one in my back bedroom, which I used the other day for the first time is years I am ashamed to say. Tai came in, sat down and watched, fascinated. when i had finished, I got off and patted the platform, and he got on, looking very intrigued. I very gently started it off, and he started walking, still looking very intrigued. It is set to a fairly steep slope, so I just kept it going very slowly and he loved it. I didn't get up to jogging pace, but he did appear to at least have no fear. I cannot see the problem at all.

I wouldn't of course leave him alone though, and neither have I ever seen CM do so
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
to me it looked like the dog was biting purely because he was being strangled. the kick from cm startled the dog and started the whole thing off. i'd be very interested to hear the explanation too!
Which dog is it lilypup? shadow, Norton or the other one?
Page 98 of 125 « First < 48 88 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 108 > Last »