Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. But it was a good opportunity to remind myself and others that so many authorities condemn CM's methods. If threads like these are going to get repeated and/or go round in circles, it's probably a good idea to make sure all the evidence and information gets repeated too.
DD is right - for so many to not like him, he does create a lot of discussions

Yes you are right, if only to let people know there are other better methods to train their pets
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm one of the converted!!

I certainly had no problem with him (I've even been to see him when he came to Glasgow ) until I read all the threads on here, and had a look at training videos like "Kikopup" - again only aware of her from looking on here.

IMO, it's several things - the "authority" figure/"expert" illusion that MerlinsMum has referenced, most of the general public just simply don't realise there are alternatives, and it's a quick fix (if albeit a false one).

Postive reinforcement training takes time and effort, Ceasar's way is touted as working almost instantly. It's easier to punish bad behaviour than to set a dog up for good behaviour. Ultimately, people are lazy and want a "quick fix."

And finally - most people have absolulely no understanding of dog behaviour in the first place!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I'm one of the converted!!

I certainly had no problem with him (I've even been to see him when he came to Glasgow ) until I read all the threads on here, and had a look at training videos like "Kikopup" - again only aware of her from looking on here.

IMO, it's several things - the "authority" figure/"expert" illusion that MerlinsMum has referenced, most of the general public just simply don't realise there are alternatives, and it's a quick fix (if albeit a false one).

Postive reinforcement training takes time and effort, Ceasar's way is touted as working almost instantly. It's easier to punish bad behaviour than to set a dog up for good behaviour. Ultimately, people are lazy and want a "quick fix."

And finally - most people have absolulely no understanding of dog behaviour in the first place!
So glad to hear it it does make it all worthwhile to know that there are people out there who are now going to have so much more fun with their dogs
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Lead training is a basic. It`s quite sad that someone needs to see a TV personality in order to find out how to train the most basic skill after toilet training.
Its not that easy have you met Millie?? Id like to see the best trainers try and stop her from of her habbits.

Dogs are not robots they are all different have personalities and while most will walk is easy for others it can be a living hell when your dog wont listen to you when on your walk its very easy for people who are experienced and know what to do to critizise those who arnt so experienced and are clearly struggling.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Its not that easy have you met Millie?? Id like to see the best trainers try and stop her from of her habbits.

Dogs are not robots they are all different have personalities and while most will walk is easy for others it can be a living hell when your dog wont listen to you when on your walk its very easy for people who are experienced and know what to do to critizise those who arnt so experienced and are clearly struggling.
You are talking about a dog who (by your own admission) has no consistency in her life.

How can you expect her to learn something if the rules are different all the time?

It is Nothing to do with the best trainers - I expect if someone took her and worked with her solidly for 3/4 weeks you would not know she was the same dog.

I would suggest you find a good trainer and STICK to what is told - that way you may start to find her an easier dog.

......btw - did you miss my earlier question as to why you think CM understands dog language?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:30 AM

I know it can seem difficult
and yup dogs are not robots, yes I expect at times mine will have a tight lead
But I can promise you you can make things 99% better pretty easily

The simple thing is dogs pull because they want to get somewhere, they like to walk faster than us and they are excited
they learn it works for them - they pull and we walk forwards
so that annoying pressure on the neck is just something the y put up with

all you have to do is pick a method you want that makes sure that the dog never gets to move forward when they pull on the lead

I started with Mia simply stopping moving and not moving until she showed some indication that she knew I existed
then over time I built it up until I didnt move until she chose to sit down

With Ben I waited till he turned towards me, so for him a tight lead means turn towards me

you can also change directions when they get infront (dont yank the lead tho)

and you can speed it up even more by also rewarding them when they are walking how you do want them too
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by pippam;2337432[B
]Its not that easy have you met Millie?? Id like to see the best trainers try and stop her from of her habbits. [/B]

this is a five month old puppy!!!!!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:17 AM
The problem is not as simple as getting a trainer you see she walks fine in a group so getting a trainer would probably make her habbits worse not better, for me the rules are the same the park is the same and route is amot all ways the same.

Its when she is on her own for example if I walk her alone or mum walks her alone I get the problems, found out though that watching mum she allows the dog to walk her and this got me very worried because Millie is big for her age and people are often suprised when we tell them she is only five months and strong even at five months. The dog managed to pull her into the road three times in the course of ten mins on the way to the park. Problem is mum wants to make the walks fun for Millie but she doesnt realise that Millie is getting older and should be following us not the other way round. So naturally when I take Millie out and I want to go one way Millie doesn't we don't end up going anywhere -.-

Its extremely frustrating but again mum wont see to reason she doesnt realise she teaching Millie bad habbits and she wont take my advice for hell on earth. Im hopping to get the same trainer we had last time to teach mum how to walk Millie propperly and hold the lead propperly.

In a group she is fine its on her own we get problems she even lies down in the middle of roads!!! She has very strong will id like to see someone try and change her (the dog that is) that would be something else.

Since I got her a Harness I have found some small improvement she wont pull anymore I dont think she realises she is attatched to a lead. Once she sits down though she wont go untill she is ready what do you do with that ??? I could be waiting a while with her but not even treets stop that habbit because once she has her heart set on going back she will stay sitting the direction sometimes she would stay their all afternoon just watching the direction of home. I can be as patciont and sweet and offer her as many treats as she likes but she wouldnt budge yet their is nothing scairy in the park and no real reason for it that i have discovered.

She is only five months but it would take anyone weeks to change her themselves as she is weary of people and other dogs (getting better though her confidence is building) I do have hope for her yet ive heard im not alone others have had similar problems and their dogs just got over it within time they didn't really do anything differently or do any training.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:52 AM
yet their is nothing scary in the park
To you. To her there could be all sorts of scary things.

In all honesty, if your mum is being dragged into the road by the dog then she shouldn't be walking her. Although I find it very hard to imagine a cocker spaniel puppy being able to literally drag a grown woman around.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:57 AM
The problem is not as simple as getting a trainer you see she walks fine in a group so getting a trainer would probably make her habbits worse not better, for me the rules are the same the park is the same and route is amot all ways the same.

If she Pulls you the rules are not always the same....sometimes she pulls sometimes she doesn't. You have to ask what is different about the times she pulls, is it just the presence of other dogs, or other people that stops her from Pulling - you need to ask yourself why that is.

What does she gain from Pulling? Have you (inadvertently) taught her to pull, by giving in to it sometimes (when you are busy and only have so much time for walks - spending 10 mins getting 5ft down the road can be depressing)

How many different methods have you tried? How long have you stuck with each one and practised it?

Its when she is on her own for example if I walk her alone or mum walks her alone I get the problems, found out though that watching mum she allows the dog to walk her and this got me very worried because Millie is big for her age and people are often suprised when we tell them she is only five months and strong even at five months. The dog managed to pull her into the road three times in the course of ten mins on the way to the park. Problem is mum wants to make the walks fun for Millie but she doesnt realise that Millie is getting older and should be following us not the other way round. So naturally when I take Millie out and I want to go one way Millie doesn't we don't end up going anywhere -.-

How do you walk her then?

Its extremely frustrating but again mum wont see to reason she doesnt realise she teaching Millie bad habbits and she wont take my advice for hell on earth. Im hopping to get the same trainer we had last time to teach mum how to walk Millie propperly and hold the lead propperly.

So we come back to changes in the rules - your Mum treats her one way - you do it another.....there you have one of the inconstancies I was referring to

In a group she is fine its on her own we get problems she even lies down in the middle of roads!!! She has very strong will id like to see someone try and change her (the dog that is) that would be something else.

Why would you want to change her??? Thats CM talking She does not need to be changed - she needs to be worked with. So far you have described everything I have seen in cocker spaniels. From your descriptions - she is not a difficult dog, she is a misunderstood dog.

Since I got her a Harness I have found some small improvement she wont pull anymore I dont think she realises she is attatched to a lead. Once she sits down though she wont go untill she is ready what do you do with that ??? I could be waiting a while with her but not even treets stop that habbit because once she has her heart set on going back she will stay sitting the direction sometimes she would stay their all afternoon just watching the direction of home. I can be as patciont and sweet and offer her as many treats as she likes but she wouldnt budge yet their is nothing scairy in the park and no real reason for it that i have discovered.

But she will see the world differently to you.....

She is only five months but it would take anyone weeks to change her themselves as she is weary of people and other dogs (getting better though her confidence is building) I do have hope for her yet ive heard im not alone others have had similar problems and their dogs just got over it within time they didn't really do anything differently or do any training.
She is a baby - dogs are not brought into the world understanding it - we have to help them. We have to introduce them to people, place, scary things and teach them that these things are not to be feared. To be able to do that the dog has to trust us. We have to be a source of confidence and security to the dog. I would talk to your mum about what Milly is scared of at the park - see if together you can work out what might have happened. Bearing in mind the kind of methods your Mum has used on Milly before, it might be worth asking her what kind of training she has done with her there.

And I ask again.......what makes you think that CM can understand dog language?
Page 96 of 102 « First < 46 86 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 > Last »