View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Theres one small factor here that ironically no one has mentioned before, amazes me. He does this, he does that, he hits, kicks, jabs according to posts & gets dammed for it

However is he to blame ..... ?

Come on now folk seriously "THINK" about it...

... who is to blame - if not CM???

would YOU allow anyone to do the above to YOUR dog, would YOU sit back and ALLOW it to happen - '??

It is the dogs OWNERS who allow it to happen... IF at the end of it the dog's behaviour is modified to their satisfaction, they are not complaining are they.....! Violla - instant result..

I agree with SB's post!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Theres one small factor here that ironically no one has mentioned before, amazes me. He does this, he does that, he hits, kicks, jabs according to posts & gets dammed for it

However is he to blame ..... ?

Come on now folk seriously "THINK" about it...

... who is to blame - if not CM???

would YOU allow anyone to do the above to YOUR dog, would YOU sit back and ALLOW it to happen - '??

It is the dogs OWNERS who allow it to happen... IF at the end of it the dog's behaviour is modified to their satisfaction, they are not complaining are they.....! Violla - instant result..

Absobloominglootly.

I agree with SB's post!
Goes and lies down in a darkened room.........
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:33 PM
That links directly back to Dobermann's thread re the 'brainwashing'.

It's the Millgram effect - if someone in authority/"acknowledged expert" (even self-styled)/doctor/man/woman in a white coat says you can do it, you assume they're right... Right?

Here's a list of (just SOME) of the organisations and authorities who condemn CM's methods:

Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB) Accreditation Ltd.
Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC)
Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK (APDT,UK)
Companion Animal Behaviour Therapy Study Group (CABTSG)
Dogs Trust
Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA)
The Blue Dog Trust
UK Registry of Canine Behaviourists (UKRCB)
Wood Green Animal Shelters
World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA).
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour (AVSAB).
European College of Veterinary Behavioural Medicine - Companion Animals (ECVBM-CA)
European Society of Clinical Veterinary Ethology (ESCVE)
Norwegian Association for Pet Behaviour.

reference: http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/press-statement.php

Now I know most people who watch his TV show and are eclipsed by his charisma and expertise are unaware of the above. But that's why threads like this exist.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
That links directly back to Dobermann's thread

Now I know most people who watch his TV show and are eclipsed by his charisma and expertise are unaware of the above. But that's why threads like this exist.
You are missing the point....

Celebrity dog trainers, or any celebrity for that matter, "exist" because there is a demand for them by owners who condone what they do because it suits them & they get their problem fixed!

Why are you quoting different organisations to me who condemn him? Have you not read any of my posts on this topic....

Its a simple fact, so long as there is a demand (by dog owners who want a quick fix) for CMs services, he & others like him will continue to be in the public eye.

As long as he gets ratings for his TV show, they will continue to get show time....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 01:50 AM
For so many people that dislike him so much you talk about him alot! (Theres so many threads on him now ya know!) Bloody man needs to vanish not keep getting his name mentioned.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
That links directly back to Dobermann's thread re the 'brainwashing'.

It's the Millgram effect - if someone in authority/"acknowledged expert" (even self-styled)/doctor/man/woman in a white coat says you can do it, you assume they're right... Right?
This is true - and this is to a large extent why his programmes continue, because of this effect.

It happens in dog training a lot - the "expert" shows the owners what to do and they just do it. If this effect didnt' exist, then there probably would be no CM programme... or at least, I don't think so.

It's amazing what people will do when told to do something by "experts" - the Milgram experiment showed that people would actually go as far as shocking another human being on a very high level if they were told to by the "man in the white coat"

There's a recording of this experiment on the net somewhere, and I must admit it turns my stomach in places.

This is what happens with CM and the owners on his show. If they are told to subject their dog to harsh things, they do it. Because the expert told them so!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i guess with some people it is

But what I found before I came here is in lots of places CM's fans are the majority
people only really hear good things about him
so they are surprised, confused and shocked when they hear different

then they become defensive thinking we are saying they are cruel to their dogs - when in reality most people dont use CM's cruel methods

and it does get tiresome to always go over the old ground - but I have seen several people change their mind over time when shown the facts of what he does and given alternative ways of training
so that makes it worthwhile

and of course there are all the lurkers reading here, and non forum members
If the old ground isnt covered then people wont realise that there are alternatives to CM

Its hard work but if it makes one person stop and think then its worth it
Very true, Ben! I think it's just a bit sort of "oh, enough already" as the Americans say, when an old thread is resurrrected and the same old, same old discussion continues. The poster can surely read the thread and see that they are just bringing up the same arguments as have already been heard on page 2 of the thread ...

I must be losing my patience - perhaps I've been posting on such threads for too long!

But then as you say, if just one person changes their mind, it is worth it.

Wys
x
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-08-2011, 09:39 AM

and it does get tiresome to always go over the old ground - but I have seen several people change their mind over time when shown the facts of what he does and given alternative ways of training
so that makes it worthwhile
You have changed my mind. I still think he knows about dogs, but not all dogs and some dogs DO seem a bit human - having the ability to learn the meaning of the word ball for example.

What I have changed my mind about is his methods. It just does not work unless you are a dominating type of human to begin with - and if you are, then you are already there.

What changed my mind was reading that Junior is afraid of him. And it is so true. I would not be surprised if he turned around and bit him one day. now would we want that with our own dogs?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by CesarMillanFan View Post
A friend of ours won a competition to have a chat with CM when he was in the UK, she had a problem with boisterous Labrador pulling getting to excited and being a danger whilst walking with the pushchair at the same time, she was dubious as to whether he could help, he shown her a few things and explained some things to her, when she implemented herself,complete change.
I am shocked a fan who cannot spell their hero's name !!!!!

Back to

MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Why are you quoting different organisations to me who condemn him? Have you not read any of my posts on this topic....
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. But it was a good opportunity to remind myself and others that so many authorities condemn CM's methods. If threads like these are going to get repeated and/or go round in circles, it's probably a good idea to make sure all the evidence and information gets repeated too.
Page 95 of 102 « First < 45 85 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 > Last »