Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not find it sad that anyone needs help in how to lead train a dog, it is after all one of the most COMMON if not THE most common problems owners complain of, pulling on the lead. (I think JD mentions it in the CC)

Nobody popped out of the womb knowing how to train dogs, just like nobody popped out of the womb knowing how to rear babies.

If they did, there would be no reason for forums like this would there?

Do you find it "sad" that people consult forums like this for advice?

TV personalities draw attention to issues of all kind and increase interest and even raise funds for worthwhile causes.

CM may not be your cup of tea or mine, but if he motivated someone to seek help then it is a win win situation is it not?

A win for the dog (who no longer has to suffer) and a win for the owners who are not at risk of sciatica.
No I find it sad that someone waits until an American TV personality visits the UK to get the help that is available at any dog club or library in the land. The solution to lead training is simple - the practice of it is hard. The persistence, timing and handling are what needs to be learned over time. It cannot be taught in a quick chat with a TV personality. IMO. You may well know different.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No I find it sad that someone waits until an American TV personality visits the UK to get the help that is available at any dog club or library in the land. The solution to lead training is simple - the practice of it is hard. The persistence, timing and handling are what needs to be learned over time. It cannot be taught in a quick chat with a TV personality. IMO. You may well know different.

As I said they may have felt unmotivated UNTIL they saw Cesar.

Quite honestly >90% of behaviours that I see people wanting help with on courses (some of which can cost a great deal of money) could have been dealt with by the local trainer for a fraction of the cost.

However sometimes people prefer to go to a "name" for various reasons.

So thiis is not "unique" to Cesar, it is, perhaps, unique to human nature!

When you study human behaviour, these sort of decisions become easier to understand.

You can learn how to do many things in a short space of time, including this; that is not in dispute, the FACT is that everyone has a different learning "style" and each is motivated towards or away from behaviours by differing triggers.

So I do not find it sad at all, I find it perfectly natural, normal and predictable.

But then perhaps that is because I use behavioural science in my day job so it is not a surprise to me.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by CesarMillanFan View Post
Im sure when the program was first being rolled out it was and probably still is scrutinsed by the relevant authorities therefore if any acts of cruelty were being performed it certainly wouldnt be aird on tv screens in todays modern world.
Sadly that isn't true. If only it were. Dr Nicholas Dodman I think it was, reviewed the pilot and said CM was using old, harsh methods, but his professional advice was ignored.

How you view the techniques is your way of looking at it, yes maybe they do intend on getting the dogs to bark at people for the camera as it wouldnt really have ny solid body to it if they were advertising a programme called the dog whispere yet failed to record the dogs actually doing what it is thats the problem. How many times as owners have we said to people oh he or she will do this or that only to stand there looking lke a tit because the dog doesnt want to tow the line so to say. The trouble is a lot of people thinm canines think like we do as humans, and the fact is they dont, theyre basic animals who are intelligent to learn something we teach them and thats it, they dont have rationalisation or opinions like our mind does.
No disrespect meant, but this has been gone over many times before... I would reply, but I have lost the will to live on some of these threads

CM sets dogs up to fail, he likes to physically dominate them and that is what the tv is all about, it's not about much else except entertainment.

Dogs are pre conditioned with prods, kicks etc so they react strongly on tv. A lot goes on behind the scenes.

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

No disrespect meant, but this has been gone over many times before... I would reply, but I have lost the will to live on some of these threads :lol:

CM sets dogs up to fail, he likes to physically dominate them and that is what the tv is all about, it's not about much else except entertainment.

Dogs are pre conditioned with prods, kicks etc so they react strongly on tv. A lot goes on behind the scenes.

Wys
x
Heck, yes!
I give up. You wanna bully your dog, CM fans, you carry on. I`ll just concentrate on loving mine.
I really feel this is just an excuse for a few people to pass the time being `controversial`......... - it`s on a par with discussing quality of performance in the X Factor.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Heck, yes!
I give up. You wanna bully your dog, CM fans, you carry on. I`ll just concentrate on loving mine.
I really feel this is just an excuse for a few people to pass the time being `controversial`......... - it`s on a par with discussing quality of performance in the X Factor.
i guess with some people it is

But what I found before I came here is in lots of places CM's fans are the majority
people only really hear good things about him
so they are surprised, confused and shocked when they hear different

then they become defensive thinking we are saying they are cruel to their dogs - when in reality most people dont use CM's cruel methods

and it does get tiresome to always go over the old ground - but I have seen several people change their mind over time when shown the facts of what he does and given alternative ways of training
so that makes it worthwhile

and of course there are all the lurkers reading here, and non forum members
If the old ground isnt covered then people wont realise that there are alternatives to CM

Its hard work but if it makes one person stop and think then its worth it
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i guess with some people it is

But what I found before I came here is in lots of places CM's fans are the majority
people only really hear good things about him
so they are surprised, confused and shocked when they hear different

then they become defensive thinking we are saying they are cruel to their dogs - when in reality most people dont use CM's cruel methods

and it does get tiresome to always go over the old ground - but I have seen several people change their mind over time when shown the facts of what he does and given alternative ways of training
so that makes it worthwhile

and of course there are all the lurkers reading here, and non forum members
If the old ground isnt covered then people wont realise that there are alternatives to CM

Its hard work but if it makes one person stop and think then its worth it
They are coming around though.
I'm involved in a discussion on another site about CM and was very surprised to see that I was with the majority in condemning him. All of a sudden up popped a supporter, by heck was she soon jumped on!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Please note, posts split from this thread at post number 910..
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=80734
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2011, 08:21 PM

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=153208
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:29 PM
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran