Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
This shows a complete lack of understanding of how much socialization and nurture can do for a dog. Many dogs are aggressive out of fear. And they're afraid of what they're not used to and have no experience with. The goal of socialization is introducing a dog to many other things: dogs of all sizes; people of all sizes, genders, ages, and movement; places with different floor textures; different noises; etc.

Some dogs will be DA regardless of socialization, but for many it can be stopped before they mature by proper socialization. Nurture is very strong and I've seen a lot of research recently on how important socialization is in puppies.

Even my parent's dog showed signs of what happens when not socialized to something in particular. She was never socialized with tall men and she was really scared of my best friend (who's 6'5") when she met him. It was not in her nature to be scared of tall men, but rather a lack of proper socialization with them.

My next door neighbor never socialized her GSD with other dogs (except the one she owned and the one across the road). Now he'll attack any dog except those ones. Is that in his nature? I doubt it. I just don't think he was properly socialized to other dogs and is now so bad that she can't even walk him during normal hours because he's that out of control. Maybe he would never be super dog social, but I don't think he would be that dog aggressive if his owner had done much more socializing when he was young.

I'm not saying that socialization is all and that there isn't the possibility of some inherent personality traits that can result in dog aggression no matter how much socialization you do, but I do think socialization is much more important than you are giving it credit for.

I couldn't have had a dog I tried to socialize more, he went to puppy training, puppy socialization, agility, swimming with other dogs.......This had to be stopped when he hit maturity because HE started showing aggressive traits towards dogs he simply could no longer stand to be around anymore...My dog was far from fear aggressive, he wasn't afraid of people (even strange ones)...He just decided he didn't want to play ball with other dogs anymore, there was nothing that could be done regarding that.

I can't be doing too badly regarding the dogs I have now - I own two Mastiff males (which is advised against)...yet they get on extremely well with each other and other dogs, so I'm sorry I've misunderstood nothing.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post

I couldn't have had a dog I tried to socialize more, he went to puppy training, puppy socialization, agility, swimming with other dogs.......This had to be stopped when he hit maturity because HE started showing aggressive traits towards dogs he simply could no longer stand to be around anymore...My dog was far from fear aggressive, he wasn't afraid of people (even strange ones)...He just decided he didn't want to play ball with other dogs anymore, there was nothing that could be done regarding that.

I can't be doing too badly regarding the dogs I have now - I own two Mastiff males (which is advised against)...yet they get on extremely well with each other and other dogs, so I'm sorry I've misunderstood nothing.
Your St. Bernard is not all dogs. Plenty of dogs become aggressive due to lack of socialization. Plenty of dogs can be properly socialized and remain non-DA when they become adults. Socialization is VERY important, especially in puppies.

I don't quite get your point. You think that DA is 100% nature?
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Your St. Bernard is not all dogs. Plenty of dogs become aggressive due to lack of socialization. Plenty of dogs can be properly socialized and remain non-DA when they become adults. Socialization is VERY important, especially in puppies.

DA can be nature can be nurture.

In some cases no amount of nurture will change the DA in certain dogs. That is the point.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
DA can be nature can be nurture.

In some cases no amount of nurture will change the DA in certain dogs. That is the point.
Yet I get the impression the other poster thinks it's 100% nature and no amount of nurture will change it. *shrugs*

Either way, to say that all pit bulls are aggressive because it's just in their nature is 100% wrong.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
FWIW, I read somewhere a few years back that Chows shared the same enzyme in their brains that Pit Bulls have, been trying to find the link - But can't!! It was a scientific study that had been carried out (So if anyone else happens to find the link I'd be grateful, I'd really like to read it again!)

I don't think the ban will ever be lifted, not in our life time and I can't say it's something I would entirely agree with anyhows...Considering there are just as nice perfectly legal breeds to own that are in dire trouble and need help.
i dont understand what are getting at by talking about Chows.

I expect it to be lifted, and i think it would be a fantasic idea as it protects no-one.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:24 PM

My point is, my St couldnt have been more socialized if we tried we did everything in regards to that, he lived happily with other dogs we owned at the time he just started to hate other dogs he didn't know couldn't tolerate them at all. I know how important socialization is thanks, just that sometimes no matter how much you socialize it don't always work once that dog has hit maturity - thats my whole point.....

Ask me again in a years time or so, and I'll let you know whether my two males are still getting along with each other and other dogs, taking into consideration all the work we've so far done with them
As I know for a fact it's always going to be hit and miss whatever their ages even with all work we've put into them and anyone that tells you any different isn't being truthful, or doesn't fully understand the complications that can come with owning certain breeds once they hit maturity.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:27 PM
i dont understand what are getting at by talking about Chows.

I expect it to be lifted, and i think it would be a fantasic idea as it protects no-one.
Re - Chows, perfectly legal to own in UK...yet have apparently the same enzymes in their brains at Pit Bulls which was proven in a scientific study - only I can't find it!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 01:44 PM
mostly true. And i dont think pitbulls are dangerous (well not enough to warrant a ban when compared to other breeds) but i do think it is dangerous to completly ignore their history and the face that many will be almost instictivly dog agressive especially in maturity.

Ashman I wouldn't ignore any dogs history and I agree that you should research your chosen breed to ensure you can meet it's needs. I don't agree that a breed will reach maturity and become dog aggressive. How does that explain all the dog friendly Pits out there.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Ashman I wouldn't ignore any dogs history and I agree that you should research your chosen breed to ensure you can meet it's needs. I don't agree that a breed will reach maturity and become dog aggressive. How does that explain all the dog friendly Pits out there.
After 18 years of owning various breeds, I can say that you are catagorically wrong.

Ask any Staffy owner this question whom have had years of experience of owning their breed, only to have dogs that have appeared to get on, then one day have come home to a bloodbath on their hands.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
many will be, thats what i have said. It is a common trait. I have never ever said all will be DA i said it is dangerous to ignore that there is more than a possibilty of it.
Page 93 of 132 « First < 43 83 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 103 > Last »