Originally Posted by ste.n.steph
she is gorgeous, i love that picture she has such a cute face :smt007
thank you ste.n.steph
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by China
Any breeder who doesn't not do the right thing by their dogs shouldn't breed.
But I cant make a comment on your breeder for a number of reasons.
The most important one is I dont know both sides nor do I know the breeder or the conditons that they keep their dogs in so I cant make a judgement.
And by no means am I calling you a liar, its just that I like knowing bothsides.
there was a guy on a differnt forum that had posted how bad his breeder was because his puppy had to be pts and how himself and his wife was going to take the breeder to court and then post that he had won but he didn't tell the whole story.

That when the breeder realize that one of the pups in the litter that she had raised had a very rare genetic faulty and had to be pts, she contacted everyone telling them what to watch out for and if the pup got sick take it straight to the vet and have them test for this very rare genetic problem.
These people said their pup was fine and left it at that, then the little girl got sick they took her to the vet but never mention what the breeder had said, so the little girl got treated for something altogether different but still didn't respond to the treatment and when they finally did ring the breeder she offered to take the pup back and refund their money and when they said no she even offered to help and again said no because she was their. The breeder had ask if they had rule out the GF and they said no because when they ask the vet about it he had never heard of it.
The breeder then got her vet to ring their and got him to do the test which came back positiveand she was pts.
But at no stage did this person mention any of the above facts itcame to light because someone decided to look at the whole picture, they went straight to the small claims judgements and posted the results, Yes he did get award some money but only up to the point when he refused the offer of the breeder. But not the way he made it sound
I understand that china, but i wouldnt lie i was very upset, and he had a number of things wrong with him, he had a very very very bad heart murmur, flea's and other things.... cant think what its called, its when they wee and it hurts them.....
We wanted to keep him but 2 of the vets at the pratice we go advise us against it cos he was very ill and they said it wouldnt be fair on us and our dogs and we tried to sort something out with the breeders to get our money back cos we couldnt get help with insurance cos we didnt know we could use the insurace as he was only 7 weeks old and they just would not help us and we had to give him back as it wasnt fair on us and our other dogs cos we was told if he got too excited he would have died and that killed me and then we found out he was resold and i pray that he went somewhere where he is an only dog so no other dogs gets him excited and playing too much and he lives a good life.

:smt089
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 09:28 PM
So sorry you had such a bad experience with your pup, it must be heart breaking.

What is absolutely vital to remember, though, (regardless of where the dog is advertised) is health screening is everything when it comes to buying a dog. This for me is generally the yard stick for a good dog. If the breeders bother to test the dam and sire before breeding then to me that says they are commited to bettering the breed. Now, no doubt there are some breeders that advertise in free papers that do health test and are good breeders, but the majority will not. For this reason I wouldn't touch the free ads with a barge pole. Like China says sometimes you are unlucky and in your case ,stephy, I think this was very much the case. Don't give up on good quality breeders after one bad experience, IMO you may well be lucky in the free ads, but 9 times out of 10 you won't be. The way I look at it is if you put health first when looking for a pup you won't go far wrong.
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
So sorry you had such a bad experience with your pup, it must be heart breaking.

What is absolutely vital to remember, though, (regardless of where the dog is advertised) is health screening is everything when it comes to buying a dog. This for me is generally the yard stick for a good dog. If the breeders bother to test the dam and sire before breeding then to me that says they are commited to bettering the breed. Now, no doubt there are some breeders that advertise in free papers that do health test and are good breeders, but the majority will not. For this reason I wouldn't touch the free ads with a barge pole. Like China says sometimes you are unlucky and in your case ,stephy, I think this was very much the case. Don't give up on good quality breeders after one bad experience, IMO you may well be lucky in the free ads, but 9 times out of 10 you won't be. The way I look at it is if you put health first when looking for a pup you won't go far wrong.
I agree i know where i got selene from are very good breeders and i will always go back to them, and my cavalier breeders ,
darkleynoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2006, 12:10 PM
what i find more surprising is the price of the cross breeds on things like freeads
colliexlab for 250!

i wonder if these people actually get full price for these dogs?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
again you can't blanket everyone. People call me stupid for paying £350 and then £500 for mine and then my parents gsdxhuskys. Mine was advertised in the free ads, and she was and is one of the pickiest breeders I have ever met. (which is good!) she also tested the parents, and used a show husky, meaning we get the looks but less of the general crazy temperament of a working husky. I am over the moon with both dogs I bought. A few weeks back (my pup is now six months old) her breeder called me and said two of the people that had bought pups from her hadn't been in contact and she wanted to make sure they were ok, and would I go around with her to them... I was interested in seeing them so I went along, and they were surprised but ok. Some people might find that offensive, I find it responsible that she cares enough to care about the pups after she has made her money.
Also she gave everyone a Jan Fennel book!!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by ste.n.steph
I understand that china, but i wouldnt lie i was very upset, and he had a number of things wrong with him, he had a very very very bad heart murmur, flea's and other things.... cant think what its called, its when they wee and it hurts them.....
We wanted to keep him but 2 of the vets at the pratice we go advise us against it cos he was very ill and they said it wouldnt be fair on us and our dogs and we tried to sort something out with the breeders to get our money back cos we couldnt get help with insurance cos we didnt know we could use the insurace as he was only 7 weeks old and they just would not help us and we had to give him back as it wasnt fair on us and our other dogs cos we was told if he got too excited he would have died and that killed me and then we found out he was resold and i pray that he went somewhere where he is an only dog so no other dogs gets him excited and playing too much and he lives a good life.

:smt089
I can understand how upsetting it is to lose any beloved pet, as a register breeder in Australia a pup can not be placed into their forever home until they are 8 weeks old. Was this baby from are register breeder or a back yarder?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I advise people not to go to the free ads, or to internet puppy sales sites, I advise them to contact the breed club, no matter what the breed. this is my opinion, as I feel many of the dogs sold on these sites are the ones surplus to requirments, and if the breeders have done their homework and got a decent waiting list they have no need to go onto these sites selling their pups, I know people can argue what if its a first time breeder etc or what if people dropped out of the list at the last minute, my answer to this is if the breeders are first time and actively involved in their breed, enough to prove the parents are actually worthy of breeding off, then other breeders and owners will recomend them, if they have people dropping out of the list, they should have made sure there were surplus prospective owners in the first place, and if they didnt have enough then they should'nt have bred.of course this is only my opinion.

Mo
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I like it Mo. It makes sense. If you advertise BEFORE you have a litter, you will find out if there is a demand and what type of people your prospective pups might go to.
Good sense.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9