Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by lollippy
I'm always amazed that posts on prices of puppies always draw defensive comments and accusations of people wanting a pup for the prestige, or questioning the posters motives for wanting that particular breed..

In my book one of the more important aspects of buying a puppy has to be the price, you may be able to give the puppy a perfect home, but whats the point of that if you can't afford to feed the thing because your bank account has been wiped out buying it, and actually how many breeders take in to acount the ability of the owners of being able to pay for everything once the pup has been bought, we live in a society where out ward appearences are every thing, new car new house, holidays abroad, when the reality is its all probably on overdraft.

A good breeder can sort out the potential good owners whether they ask the price first or last, and I would be wary of any breeder who skirts round the question of price, being a sceptic I would put them in same boat as a car salesman who bigs up the nail of a car he wants to sell while neglecting to mention the sky high price.

Who in there right mind walks in to a shop and buys an item for over £500.00 because they want one with out even asking the price.

Come on breeders get real, and stop trotting out the same old tosh about price not being important.
This isn't really what started the posts though actually it has just become what it is interpreted as being...

I was perhaps being overly cagey because just 1 day prior to this thread there was alot of back and forth discussion, still going on, between a few of us RE: the Northern Inuit Dog and Utonagan...I own N.I.D's and I am more than aware of how people can portray them, especially online and after the discussion had all gotten a bit negative I became on my gaurd, that's all there is to it...

I originally had thought that this question was not as nieve as it seemed and that it was to continue some kind of point to be made, now or in the future...

I looked more into it perhaps than I should have done and I appologised to Archer...

But I have seen it happen before.

I explained that the very short nature of the question following the other threads in question made me feel uncomfortable...I have appologised and Archer has said has said that has been accepted...and now I think we can move on

I'm not even a breeder so the price issue doesn't bother me one bit It's just where the thread has gone since the begining!

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:05 PM
In my book one of the more important aspects of buying a puppy has to be the price, you may be able to give the puppy a perfect home, but whats the point of that if you can't afford to feed the thing because your bank account has been wiped out buying it

Who in there right mind walks in to a shop and buys an item for over £500.00 because they want one with out even asking the price.

Come on breeders get real, and stop trotting out the same old tosh about price not being important.
Okay firstly it is NOT the most important aspect. What about breed temperament? What about size? What about exercise requirements? What about health?

Surely we determine these requirements and then investigate breeds which meet it, then find out the price of each?

Also, having an amount in your bank account of £500/£1000/£2000 available to buy a puppy does not mean that over the next 10 years you will have the means to support that dog!

Secondly, with clothes I know what I want and then look into the best, cost effective way of getting it. But QUALITY is important too.

Thirdly, IMHO I think all breeds come at a very high price. I hope this deters the "I want this for my kids for Christmas" owner but SADLY I don't think it does.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm always amazed that posts on prices of puppies always draw defensive comments and accusations of people wanting a pup for the prestige, or questioning the posters motives for wanting that particular breed..

In my book one of the more important aspects of buying a puppy has to be the price, you may be able to give the puppy a perfect home, but whats the point of that if you can't afford to feed the thing because your bank account has been wiped out buying it, and actually how many breeders take in to acount the ability of the owners of being able to pay for everything once the pup has been bought, we live in a society where out ward appearences are every thing, new car new house, holidays abroad, when the reality is its all probably on overdraft.

A good breeder can sort out the potential good owners whether they ask the price first or last, and I would be wary of any breeder who skirts round the question of price, being a sceptic I would put them in same boat as a car salesman who bigs up the nail of a car he wants to sell while neglecting to mention the sky high price.

These threads need to be read right from the beginning before anybody can comment as you have done Lollipop, this is driving me mad this thread and wish it would stop! My comments to you are we do not want or wish for any dog breed or non-breed to be used on an open thread for unscrupulous people to read and do whatever they wish,(ie dog snatching) anybody genuine wanting a dog would firstly go to a breeder for first hand advice and prices, if anybody has been defensive I would certainly think so. I have a Northern Inuit and a mongrel and they are both worth their weight in gold to me as you will probably be the same.
We are all on dogweb because of one reason 'our dogs' so why do we have to keep dragging other owners and their dogs through the mud for what i can only see as enjoyment?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I totally agree this thread has been done to death now. Come on guys lets drop it now. Archer asked a question, she eventually got the answer to that question.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Luz
These threads need to be read right from the beginning before anybody can comment as you have done Lollipop, this is driving me mad this thread and wish it would stop! My comments to you are we do not want or wish for any dog breed or non-breed to be used on an open thread for unscrupulous people to read and do whatever they wish,(ie dog snatching) anybody genuine wanting a dog would firstly go to a breeder for first hand advice and prices, if anybody has been defensive I would certainly think so. I have a Northern Inuit and a mongrel and they are both worth their weight in gold to me as you will probably be the same.
We are all on dogweb because of one reason 'our dogs' so why do we have to keep dragging other owners and their dogs through the mud for what i can only see as enjoyment?
Thanks Luz. I have had UNENDING INTEREST IN and frequently been asked, locally, what I paid for Loki and I am always reluctant to say, because I am terrified of snatching. Paranoid even. I would NEVER leave him alone and am frightened to leave him alone in the garden because, as far as I know, he is the only one of his kind around here and I am scared that if they know the price of these dogs ....

My last dog was a 'bitza' a mongrel and I adored him every much as I do Loki.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
The blatent reason I instantly got involved with the thread was because I was worried after the threads I have already mentioned was that the price was to be used now or in the future as a negative point made against the breed...The comments..."They look nothing like a poorly bred GSD..." began to arise and then I could see the next leval being the price!...So you pay how much for these mongrels...!...

Have I made myself any clearer...

Like I said I was being overly protective of my breed...lol...

But I have seen it happen on forums and websites before

I want everyone to shake hands now...LOL...

It was probably all my fault why the thread got misunderstood, but I have tried several times to clear up the confusion...lol...

I love you all...LOL...Now SHHH!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I think it is fair enough to continue the disscussion as it has turned out though...I am not trying to be this threads nanny...lol...

Just so long as people know my original posts were not for this reason

Have to say I find I feel uncomfortable when people outright ask me the cost of my dogs in the street...I do also worry they could become a dog snatchers target...Plus people don't just come up to me and ask the price of say the jeans I am wearing...Or the car you are driving...do you know what I mean...I think the price of something you chose to pay for is actually a private issue...Though for people to become interested and contact breeders and then ask, that is a different matter...I just find it a bit weird out in the street.

Just a thought maybe a separate thread could start on this topic seeing as this one has gone off topic...I dunno...I just don't want people to get the end result of posts confused with the begining, you know...It's a problem as all to often people read the first post and then jump to the end without reading the bits inbetween!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Anybody else adding to this thread from now on will be severely punished, Azz put a bloody big lock on it and throw away the key!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Shhh luz calm down love

lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
But ...mmmphlphll
Closed Thread