Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
If you would know more about dog trainers and behaviorists and read more books about it and watch professional videos, you would have different opinion!
I've lost count of the number of books I've read, videos I've watched and trainers and behaviourists I've consulted and my opinion is the same as JoedeeUKs. Maybe it is you who should be reading more books, watching more professional videos etc?
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I have never had a gun to my head but I'm pretty sure it'd frighten me if it happened!
"Best" is subjective, I would certainly not rate Cesar Milan as a top trainer.
Again missing the point that dogs and humans have different mentality from each other, once the bitch carries her pup does she uses here hands? No, she uses her mouth...
"If you don't let your dog know your the dominate person in the pack your dog will always challenge you. Dog has different mentality from us humans and you have to act and speak dog language"
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've lost count of the number of books I've read, videos I've watched and trainers and behaviourists I've consulted and my opinion is the same as JoedeeUKs. Maybe it is you who should be reading more books, watching more professional videos etc?
I have read and watched enough to comment and I still watching, reading and expanding my knowledge!

Good books to read:
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Again missing the point that dogs and humans have different mentality from each other
You keep saying that - did you imagine that most of us suffer from the delusion that dogs have the SAME mentality as we do?

You seem to have chosen a very apt username - you are certainly 'narking' me a bit!
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You keep saying that - did you imagine that most of us suffer from the delusion that dogs have the SAME mentality as we do?

You seem to have chosen a very apt username - you are certainly 'narking' me a bit!
If you have read and watched about dogs, in any book is written that dog is different from humans and what is acceptable for humans not acceptable for dogs and vise-versa.

My parents chose it for me, since I was born and I am really happy with my name!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I have read and watched enough to comment and I still watching, reading and expanding my knowledge!

Good books to read:
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
You've read these books and still believe that the sort of thing you recommended to the OP is appropriate? I have also read these books and must have gotten a very, very different message from them then.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
You've read these books and still believe that the sort of thing you recommended to the OP is appropriate? I have also read these books and must have gotten a very, very different message from them then.

I was just thinking exactly that.

NARKA: I'm sure you love and adore your dog, just as we all do ours. Maybe you have a very submissive dog. The reality is, quite a few owners have ended up being terribly injured after attempting exactly the moves you are recommending...

I too love The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson; she talks real sense. Do you think for one second she would agree with sitting on a dog or grabbing it by its neck???
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Its not based plain on my opinion, its based on recommendations from professional dog behaviorists - trainers

Yes I got interpretation that human and dogs see the world in different way.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Its not based plain on my opinion, its based on recommendations from professional dog behaviorists - trainers:-)

Yes I got interpretation that human and dogs see the world in different way.

In this day and age, no reputable trainer would ever teach someone to sit on their dog or grab its' neck. No way.

Yes, there are folk who model themselves on Cesar Milan, but that doesn't make them right.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I am not here to do wrong or want wrong, I love dogs. If you guys think its wrong nobody forces you to use this method, but stating thats cruel not acceptable and so on, also not right as it didn't come from my own head, I gave enough evidence to sport what i wrote.

You share your point of view, I share mine.
Page 9 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »