Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You are absolutely correct but I often find it uses up too much energy to constantly justify and explain, elaborate and explore.
I'm with you on that one, sometimes it just doesn't justify the time and energy, particularly if you feel you're on a hiding to nothing other than a lot of aggravation, with possible some personal attacks thrown in for good measure.

I am pleased to see that this thread/discussion has remained good natured and polite
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I got one a wolf does that a dog dosent

Grow up

They also walk differently, have more scent glands, have bigger feet and brains, longer muzzles
They also have differently shaped eye sockets which allows them to do the v wolfy look of having their noses pointed down and eyes pointing straight ahead
The become sexually mature later and have only one season a year
and wolves dont really bark
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If I'm not mistaken (and it's a while since I last looked at the research), I believe it was found that wolves, even hand reared ones, don't look to humans for help and tend not to look them in the eye

Your question on what a wolf does that a dog doesn't is an interesting one, but I'd turn it on it's head. Dogs do many things that a wolf doesn't, pointing to an evolutionary change. I don't think there will be anyone that denies that dogs originated from wolves, but just as humans do many things that primates don't, yet still retain quite a lot of their behaviours, the same can also apply to wolves and dogs.
the whole point of domestication is to bring about an evolutionary change, generally including being more comfortable in the company or presence of humans. I don't think anyone is claiming dogs are wolves, but a domesticated, more human tolerate, version, as in other domesticated, selectively-bred versions of wild species.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Grow up

They also walk differently, have more scent glands, have bigger feet and brains, longer muzzles
They also have differently shaped eye sockets which allows them to do the v wolfy look of having their noses pointed down and eyes pointing straight ahead
I dont really get this post (sorry, I just dont, maybe I'm missing the tone of it? )
My dobe walks differently to my spaniel, has bigger feet, bigger brain, defo a longer muzzle, different shaped/placed eyes, my old collie never barked. So not sure thats a comparison to what woves can or cannot learn. WE made 'breeds' too.....

though I am sure I just missed the point lol
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Grow up

I was looking for things wolves DO that dogs don't, rather than physical attributes, and I did say that dogs don;t ever do, rather than that they do at different times but anyway:

Many breeds are bred to maintain neotony, not all are.
Guard breeds and Northern breeds generally have all the grown up attributes and behaviour.

Different breeds all have different gaits.

You would be hard pushed to find a wolf with a proportionally longer muzzle than a borzoi or a rough collie.

Many dogs also have caudal glands.

I have seen dogs with big flat paws the same size as wolf paws.

Basenjis only have one season a year.

Some mastiffs and large breed dogs do not have a first season before two years of age .

Wolves do bark, albeit less often than many dogs but some individual dogs very rarely bark, (one of mine literally barked once a year through out her life- just to check she still could!) and some dogs, such as basenjis have different vocalisation in that they "yodel" rather than bark.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I dont really get this post (sorry, I just dont, maybe I'm missing the tone of it? )
My dobe walks differently to my spaniel, has bigger feet, bigger brain, defo a longer muzzle, different shaped/placed eyes, my old collie never barked. So not sure thats a comparison to what woves can or cannot learn. WE made 'breeds' too.....

though I am sure I just missed the point lol
larger feet and brains in relation to their size
and I mean differently shaped eye sockets that alow them to move their eyes differently than dogs

Ok for a behaviour thing then
I have never seen wolves work together with another species
They dont kill for fun
they dont play with other fully grown wolves
they dont herd animals, protect other species, retreive food and give it to other species - or fetch balls

they tend to stay in a stable partnership and the male also helps out in the raising of the young
They stay together in related family groups rather than packs that come together and split apart
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:21 PM
The most important thing surely is that wolves are self-sufficient and avoid humans, while dogs are domesticated and selectively bred.
That`s a fairly huge difference. Like the difference between a cow and a wildebeest. And a horse and a zebra.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
larger feet and brains in relation to their size
and I mean differently shaped eye sockets that alow them to move their eyes differently than dogs

Ok for a behaviour thing then
I have never seen wolves work together with another species
They dont kill for fun
they dont play with other fully grown wolves
they dont herd animals, protect other species, retreive food and give it to other species - or fetch balls

they tend to stay in a stable partnership and the male also helps out in the raising of the young
They stay together in related family groups rather than packs that come together and split apart
many dogs do not get along with another species, wolves are not domesticated either, so we wouldn't expect them to?
Do we really know what a wolf would class as fun? Dogs can 'get off' on a lot of things and it not necessarily classed as 'fun' by us.
Why would a wolf herd, retrieve etc, its not a collie/shepherd These are traits WE bred into the domestic dog to suit US.

Also, there are dogs the size of my dobe with smaller paws
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Studies of feral dogs have observed males do become involved with the raising of young -
http://indianpariahdog.blogspot.com/search?q=Daddy+dear

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...68159104001753
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The most important thing surely is that wolves are self-sufficient and avoid humans, while dogs are domesticated and selectively bred.
That`s a fairly huge difference. Like the difference between a cow and a wildebeest. And a horse and a zebra.
yep, that also means we cant compare what a cow learns compared to a wildebeest, a dog to a wolf.....
Page 9 of 30 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »