Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
This may sound weird but since he is so dog obsessed, could you make his reward /be/ playing with other dogs or going to check them out?

The only way I can think of how it might work in practice is if there is another dog in another room or behind your or whatnot. You call to him and only if he runs to you and sits are you feet do you let him go sniff at the dog.

It seems to me that his big motivator is other dogs so why not use that as his reward system? I am sure there is a better way of rewarding him with 'other dogs' than the one I've stated above but that's the first thing that popped into mind.
I used other dogs as a recall reward for one of my non food orientated dogs,soon got to the point she saw another dog she would come back to me of her own accord....so she could be 'released' to go say hello
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 01:39 PM
It looks to me like you have got into a real stress about the whole thing. It is coming over as the be all and end all of everything just now. I know a good recall is very important, but if you are shouting, not rewarding, starving Dexter and generally getting really upset about it, why not just take a break from it? He can maybe hear it or read your body language and it aint helping either of you.
Just take him for a walk when there are no other dogs about, let him have a bit of freedom without all the stress and worry, keep him on the long line if you have too, and just have a bit of fun with him, make him feel like he is a fun dog and not a robotic machine, as this is what some people want from their dogs, a machine.
Do you know of any of Dexter's history before you had him? A lot of this problem may stem from before you got him and it maybe you may never have a great recall when he is around other dogs. Will that be the most dreadful thing? If he has a good life and has to stay on a long line around other dogs then get a good anti-pull harness and accept it. As long he has a great time when out with you, whats the problem? I'm sure as he gets older things will improve.

Good luck and try to calm things down a bit and most of all

ENJOY YOUR DOG...
xx
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Is Dexter clicker trained?

I would play the 'look at that game' with him. I believe it is very helpful for over-friendly dogs aswell as DA dogs.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Sorry, another recall query...

As some of you may remember, I've been trying SMOKEY BEAR'S very helpful advice of not feeding Dexter prior to going to the park and then only feeding him when he does a good recall.

So last night, I fed him early, at 5.30pm. This morning he had NO breakfast at all, and then we headed to the park and got there at 09.40.

I let him off the lead and waited until there were some other dogs around and then I immediately recalled Dexter - and he totally ignored me.

He went instead into his 'mock stalking' sequence and did not pay any attention to me at all.

I then put him on the extending lead and kept him on for half an hour. Once he'd relaxed a bit and had a good wander, I let him off again and started practising the recalls. It improved a lot BUT there were still three times when he did not come and I had to go and get him......

So now I'm just wondering: was he simply not hungry enough??

Or is it that for him, other dogs are such a motivator that nothing can compete, up to and including food EVEN when he IS hungry???

Any advice would be much appreciated. I think his recall is improving but I simply cannot seem to get that instant recall outside the house, that I can get every single time around the house/garden.
I don't want to get into the whole debate Tabitha, but just a few thoughts, seeing as you are following this method at the mo.

I am sure this is obvious , but does Dexter know you have food/know you will reward him with food if he recalls? Only if he cannot smell/see the food on your hands or in a bag, he may not realise there are any rewards available.

Strictly speaking, he should get his reward for a recall, not be "bribed" as such, but it doesn't hurt to ensure he knows the food is there from the beginning esp. if he doesn't "get" this in the first place. He needs to understand how to give you the behaviour you want. Do you think he does understand this?

I've not read all of this so am not sure of all the details, jus t a thought though.

Oh what was the other thing? I've forgotten...
Oh yes - at the moment, the other dogs are overshadowing any thoughts of food, but in time what would probably happen is that the thought of food would overshadow the "reward" of the other dogs.

Wys
x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I don't want to get into the whole debate Tabitha, but just a few thoughts, seeing as you are following this method at the mo.

I am sure this is obvious , but does Dexter know you have food/know you will reward him with food if he recalls? Only if he cannot smell/see the food on your hands or in a bag, he may not realise there are any rewards available.

Strictly speaking, he should get his reward for a recall, not be "bribed" as such, but it doesn't hurt to ensure he knows the food is there from the beginning esp. if he doesn't "get" this in the first place. He needs to understand how to give you the behaviour you want. Do you think he does understand this?

I've not read all of this so am not sure of all the details, jus t a thought though.

Oh yes - at the moment, the other dogs are overshadowing any thoughts of food, but in time what would probably happen is that the thought of food would overshadow the "reward" of the other dogs.

Wys
x

Thanks
Yes, I always makes sure he sees the food and/or treats. In fact when we get to the park one of the first things I do is a recall, just to remind him that coming to me = something special

Thank you though
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

Wys
x
glad someone gets it
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
It looks to me like you have got into a real stress about the whole thing. It is coming over as the be all and end all of everything just now. I know a good recall is very important, but if you are shouting, not rewarding, starving Dexter and generally getting really upset about it, why not just take a break from it? He can maybe hear it or read your body language and it aint helping either of you.
Just take him for a walk when there are no other dogs about, let him have a bit of freedom without all the stress and worry, keep him on the long line if you have too, and just have a bit of fun with him, make him feel like he is a fun dog and not a robotic machine, as this is what some people want from their dogs, a machine.
Do you know of any of Dexter's history before you had him? A lot of this problem may stem from before you got him and it maybe you may never have a great recall when he is around other dogs. Will that be the most dreadful thing? If he has a good life and has to stay on a long line around other dogs then get a good anti-pull harness and accept it. As long he has a great time when out with you, whats the problem? I'm sure as he gets older things will improve.

Good luck and try to calm things down a bit and most of all

ENJOY YOUR DOG...
xx

Thank you for posting. I don't 'shout' and certainly do not expect Dex to be a 'robot' - I love the fact that he's a mischevious boy

But the recall is vital. Without it, it's hard to ever let him off leash to play with other dogs because once he's with them I either can't get him back OR if he sees another dog further off, he goes thundering across the park to them and it's not fair on them or their owners.

But I do take your points, thank you
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thank you for posting. I don't 'shout' and certainly do not expect Dex to be a 'robot' - I love the fact that he's a mischevious boy

But the recall is vital. Without it, it's hard to ever let him off leash to play with other dogs because once he's with them I either can't get him back OR if he sees another dog further off, he goes thundering across the park to them and it's not fair on them or their owners.

But I do take your points, thank you
Tabitha, don't lose heart or let people get you down (all this implication of starving your dog and shouting and this, that and the next thing...) It is easy for soemone to say keep a dog on a line, take a break - thats the point though isnt it, you DONT GET a break with a dog like that, if they dont get off frustration builds, if they do they learn to ignore.....letting him be hungry (not starved ) is far better for him and you and lets face it he already showed you he can do it now.

I think people also seem to be forgetting that 1) food is on offer 2) dogs learn 3) you dont need him extra hungry for life....4) hungry isnt as bad as being killed 5) quite hard to walk your dog when your hands have rope burn and your back aches and your constantly sore and frustrated; especially when you can avoid it through just taking his meals along to the park in small portions....

EDIT;
If he has a good life and has to stay on a long line around other dogs then get a good anti-pull harness and accept it.
Sorry this isnt the case for all dogs. To my dog staying on a line and having to 'accept' it would not be having a great time or a good life at all! I would even say that for him to live his life that way would be detrimental to him and actually cheating him.
I actually think that it is because Dex is young that so much work should go into him so when he does calm down he is calmer with manners! otherwise he will be a calmer version of a lout! (no offence meant Tabitha)

I do understand what you are saying around stressing less though. Being calm is a good thing.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
After having a busy day today, the OH & I took the 3 dogs out together...Khal , normally fab at recall, recalled fantastically well this morning (AFTER brekkie) but tonight both him & Ruby (who has 100% recall since around 6 months old) decided to ignore me... I walked to where they were, put their leads on & brought them home..I fed sasi first, (who recalled 1st time I shouted for her) & made the other 2 wait an hour or so before I fed them.

I'll try again tomorrow with Khal on his longline. I take out garlid sausage (as suggested to me by some-one on here) & before I let them off I give them a taste (Khal * sasi)of what is in the treat bag...so they know I have it, I know they want it (as theyre both greedypants)

I've been out most of today (with the OH & kids) calling in every 3-4 hours to let dogs out etc so I'm taking Khal & Rubys not recalling as that they havent had as much attention today as they would normaly have..I'll see how they are in the morning.

My theory is..if I am hungry I cant concentrate, if my boss has more work for me & I cant get my lunch at the usual time & am starving it takes me longer to do the job than it would normally take as I cant concentrate...I apply this to doggys too.

I'm not a trainer (far from it) & yes I understand where you (SB & doberman) are coming from BUT if I I had to eat my meals in a park, out of breath from running back & forth & then had to walk home say 5 minutes after eating I doubt I'd be bothered about coming back when some-one shouted for me either..just IMO.
so how are your dogs going to equate being fed later with not coming back in the park?

Your dogs avoid giving you attention when they feel they havent had enough?

But if it was a tasty treat that others have recommended it would be ok to come running back and forth maybe?

I like to eat outdoors and I like to snack and exercise is good for you. To be fair this isnt about how he likes to be fed, its about preventing him getting into deep trouble/potentially life threatening situations and him not ruining everyone elses walks in the park.

The owner chose to use this way based on the fact that she KNOWS her dog which others dont!

PS; TABITHA, will go and empty my inbox now
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post

I know what it's like to have a dog who just goes completely and utterly deaf at times. Rupert has improved massively but now and then he'll still take off.

Another thought, have you tried using a stop command rather than a recall? Shadow wouldn't recall but if you told him to wait he'd stop dead and not move until told he could. Not ideal but better than nothing.

That is a great idea!

I hadn't thought of trying a 'stop' instead of a recall. Thank you!
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >