Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
but there is no damage!!!!! you come and see him and you will find out yourself he isnt in pain or scared!!! he wants to do things you ask him, he isnt enthusiastic because he is scared, thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard. why would he be exited about getting treats and doing things when he is scared????

maybe some dogs wont react to clicker training, every dog is different. like some people learn differently to others.

i dont put the lead at the top of his neck cause i think it has more control, it just tends to sit there more comfortably than at the bottom with his collar.
How do you know ?? Have you had his neck scanned or X rayed ??

It does cause more pain due the very high number of nerves & blood vesselsat the top of the neck near the surface.

The slip lead is designed to rest loosely ay the bottom of the neck & never tightened, it is meant to be a slip lead because it "slips off"to release the dog to hunt/work as in a gundog
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Take a clicker trained dog into a class full of dogs trained with CM type methods and the difference in attitude between the dogs is obvious. Only class I could get Rupe into was a traditional class but the trainer was happy to let me use the clicker. There were a couple other positively trained dogs there and all of them were FAR more relaxed and confident when learning new things than the traditionally trained ones.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:27 PM
but there is no damage!!!!! you come and see him and you will find out yourself he isnt in pain or scared!!! he wants to do things you ask him, he isnt enthusiastic because he is scared, thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard.

Show us a video - I for one don`t believe what you say. Prove me wrong.

maybe some dogs wont react to clicker training, every dog is different. like some people learn differently to others.

No - dogs learn the same. It`s the trainers that differ. I don`t clicker train because my timing is cr*p. If you can`t train a dog using a clicker the problem is between the clicker and the ground

i dont put the lead at the top of his neck cause i think it has more control, it just tends to sit there more comfortably than at the bottom with his collar.
you have a deformed dog? Or you have a tight lead all the time (more likely)

How`s your offlead work?
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:00 PM
i dont think all dogs learn the same tbh. but my opinion as each are individual animals and may learn more easily in different ways.

my puppy isnt in pain or scared no matter how much you may think he is just by reading a few replies on here. Its no ones elses busines how some one decides to train thier dog unless they are in real pain!!! (which Arthur is not)

thanks for calling my puppy deformed!! and no the lead isnt tight all the time because he walks next to me!
my offlead work is coming on well, he is off lead when we go to the park and wherever there is no road close, the recall is getting much better. yes we have hiccups but remember he is only 7 months old. he has stopped jumping up so much and knows a variety of tricks (i havnt used a clicker because i found it diddnt work, and yes i know how to use one!!)

just because someone doesnt train how you all do donesnt mean its wrong or cruel, my puppy is doing fine!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:38 PM
i dont think all dogs learn the same tbh. but my opinion as each are individual animals and may learn more easily in different ways.
Not getting into the rest of it as there are others explaining better than I can
Although I know what you are saying, no 2 dogs, people, goldfish or killer whales are the same
but
What is being talked about here is the learning theory not the mechanics of the training
it is really simple and it works for anything with a brain

Do something and good things happen, you are more likely to do that thing again
Do something and bad things happen, you are less likely to do that thing again

that is the simple bare bones of it
It expands slightly
Do something, good things happen you are more likely to do that thing again, you are more confident to try other new things again, you become more confident and you actually become smarter

Do something, bad things happen you are less likely to try that thing again, you are less confidet to try new things again and you dont improve your mind

That is the same for any species (it even works on men - I have tried) - just what they find good and bad changes and what they try naturaly is different depending on the individual and the species
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:58 PM
yeah i agree they learn that way but what im saying is that the method to achieving this can be done differantly. clicker training isnt the only way and not all dogs will learn well using this method.

i diddnt clicker train and Arthur has still learned tricks and how to walk properly on the lead ect... im just saying thats all!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:19 PM
It isnt just Clicker training thats a different way, a clicker isonly a tiny bit of my training (yet IS very effective for aggression cases)

You can try in a happy , motivating way, without clicking. In a way that teaches the dog what behaviours you WANT..CM teaches the dog what behaviours he DoSENT want
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:28 PM
yeah but how else do you teach a dog what you dont want???

its very well teaching the dog what its doing good but what about when it does something wrong, i dont know rips up a bin bag in the garden for example as Arthur has done this. i caught him doing it and shouted no at him and he hasnt done it since, i cant just leave him to do it and ignore it as he will just carry on???

my friends dog used to bite people when you play with it so her dad started tapping her on the nose when she did, when she diddnt the game carried on. my friends mum diddnt like this so hasnt done it, now the dog doesnt bite her dad but does her mum!!! doesnt act scared around her dad but knows the boundaries thats all.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
In a way that teaches the dog what behaviours you WANT..CM teaches the dog what behaviours he DoSENT want
Never heard it so succinctly put
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
It isnt just Clicker training thats a different way, a clicker isonly a tiny bit of my training (yet IS very effective for aggression cases)

You can try in a happy , motivating way, without clicking. In a way that teaches the dog what behaviours you WANT..CM teaches the dog what behaviours he DoSENT want
Yes exactly
I love clicker training, but its only a little bit of my training and I clicker train without the clicker too
It started with dolphin trainers using whistles, goldfish are clicker trained with a flash of light
clickers have been sucessfully used on horses, dogs, cats, zoo animals, babies and gymnasts
SOme people use pen ends to click, food lids and often their own voice (but that isnt quite as powerful for many reason)
But the best bit I take from clicker training is that no behaviour is wrong
If you instead of expecting perfection right from the start and getting angry with every little thing that is 'wrong'
you look at every tiny step towards the behaviour you want and reward them, show your dog how fun and rewarding you are then not only do they love to learn, you learn how smart and funny your dogs are and you learn to love them more
CM type training involves ignoring the dog doing the right thing - because thats whats expected of them
Then putting them into a situation they dont know how to deal with and punishing them until they stop doing it

Its a stressful way to live with anyone always looking for the wrong
Page 9 of 24 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »