Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
i hope your girl is feeling better.
please dont think there is nothing else you can do fo your girl metacam is just a starting point as far as nsaid's are concerned.hydrotherapy really does help as it is non weight bearing(so feels nice for her too) and helps builds her muscles to support her, exercise little and often is very important too as no exercise will lead to atrophy.also do you have her on any supplements? ask your vet for stride powder (i can give you the uk reps no if you want it just pm me) it has very good results but it wont happen straight away but can be used alongside her medication.i know how sad it is i lost my best friend through his back end 'going' but he still had quality of life with a little help.
Thanks for your kind words and I am sorry to hear you lost your best friend

Flame will start on the Metacam on Monday, as I have to give her a break from her old medication for three days before starting her on the new.

She is on cod liver oil and also cortaflex.

Thanks for the info on stride powder. I will wait and see how she does on this new med before trying anything else, but will definitely bear it in mind.

I have emailed the excellent hydrotherapy pool where I take Flame, and hope to get her in for a session in the next couple of weeks or so. The problem is he is always soooo busy, as he is soooo good

Thanks again.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but have you considered acupuncture? My first dog was in so much pain with his hips he couldn't climb the stairs. He had one session of acupuncture and bounded up those stairs as if nothing was wrong. I too have had it and I think it is definately worth considering.
Becky
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:17 PM
afternoon moobli and flame
just to mention (sorry to be a bore) but if you are going for hydrotherapy she would need 2 to 3 sessions a week!(i was a hydrotherapist for 2 years) which i know is not easy to commit to but she would need building up slowly and regulary so if you can only take her every so often its probably not the way to go she would either get stiffer from it or not benefit at all.
accupunture is a great idea (as long as she dosnt get stressed by vets as only vets can perform it)my old boss was qualified in it but bear in mind after the first few sessions they can be slightly worse.The other thing to try is to ask your vet for a physio they recommend there is alot they can do to help as well traction,stretches tens and also laser accupunture
hope this info helps
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but have you considered acupuncture? My first dog was in so much pain with his hips he couldn't climb the stairs. He had one session of acupuncture and bounded up those stairs as if nothing was wrong. I too have had it and I think it is definately worth considering.
Becky
My sister mentioned trying acupuncture, as her oldest dog really benefits from it. The reason I haven't yet tried it is that Flame gets VERY stressed at the vets (she actually wet herself yesterday while being examined, which is something she has never done before ) and so I am not sure I want to put her through that, if the other combination of remedies/reduced exercise and meds works.

Thanks though, and I am glad it worked so well for your dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
afternoon moobli and flame
just to mention (sorry to be a bore) but if you are going for hydrotherapy she would need 2 to 3 sessions a week!(i was a hydrotherapist for 2 years) which i know is not easy to commit to but she would need building up slowly and regulary so if you can only take her every so often its probably not the way to go she would either get stiffer from it or not benefit at all.
accupunture is a great idea (as long as she dosnt get stressed by vets as only vets can perform it)my old boss was qualified in it but bear in mind after the first few sessions they can be slightly worse.The other thing to try is to ask your vet for a physio they recommend there is alot they can do to help as well traction,stretches tens and also laser accupunture
hope this info helps
Thanks for the info. I will have a word with the guy who runs the pool. It isn't hydrotherapy in the swimming sense though, as Flame is suspended by a harness in the warm water while the hydrotherapist (if that is the right term for him) manipulates her body and joints. I can't remember the exact regime he recommended after our initial consultation but I am sure he said once a month or so would be fine. I will have another word with him about it, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:33 PM
So sorry to hear Flame hasn't been herself lately, I hope you can find something to ease her discomfort. Its horrible to watch a treasured dog to get older - Tara is 14 now, and in the last year she's changed a lot sleeping lots and can't run anymore, just potters around after Taffy!

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Flame and hoping her discomfort will ease!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
So sorry to hear Flame hasn't been herself lately, I hope you can find something to ease her discomfort. Its horrible to watch a treasured dog to get older - Tara is 14 now, and in the last year she's changed a lot sleeping lots and can't run anymore, just potters around after Taffy!

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Flame and hoping her discomfort will ease!
Thanks Lorna, that is very kind. I am really pleased to say that the vet put Flame on Metacam and she has seemed a lot more comfortable since
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I've just read through the thread Moobli, sorry I missed it. I'm glad shes responding to the new meds. Hopefully she will continue to get more comfortable xx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Lorna, that is very kind. I am really pleased to say that the vet put Flame on Metacam and she has seemed a lot more comfortable since
Glad to hear she's on Metacam - both Tara and Taffy are on it too and it seems to really help! Lots more piccies of your beautiful dogs please !xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
I've just read through the thread Moobli, sorry I missed it. I'm glad shes responding to the new meds. Hopefully she will continue to get more comfortable xx
Thanks Berger, it is wonderful to watch her enjoying life again

Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Glad to hear she's on Metacam - both Tara and Taffy are on it too and it seems to really help! Lots more piccies of your beautiful dogs please !xxx
It has worked wonders Lorna I will dig some pics out!
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >