View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Is there anyone on Dogsey then, I wonder, that shows their dog but actually agrees that JH's programme was a good thing???? Just wondering, as there seems to be a pattern forming:
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Is there anyone on Dogsey then, I wonder, that shows their dog but actually agrees that JH's programme was a good thing???? Just wondering, as there seems to be a pattern forming:
Not me CC. All I see is people cashing in on "none KC" registered pups, that are "healthy" because of it!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not me CC. All I see is people cashing in on "none KC" registered pups, that are "healthy" because of it!

Me too Dawn.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Is that a fact though BD or is that just people imagining that the GP will go out and buy unreg pups now rather than KC reg pups because of JH? I don't think that the GP are that stupid, are they? I think it has just made it clear to the GP that just because a pup is from KC reg parents, doesn't guarantee anything much at all, including the health of the pup. That isn't a bad thing in my eyes. Awareness can't be a bad thing. Also, I expect that any show/breeders that were breeding irresponsibly in the search of their perfect pup for the show ring, may now be cleaning up their act - don't you think. That definitely has to be a good thing imo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I can give you two view points..

Mine I dont show, nor do I breed do I think her programme was a good thing.

NO!!! do I think that some of the points made in the programme needed to be aired..yes, but for every negative there should have been positive...THAT would have made a much better educational programme/

I have a friend who shows and breeds, did she agree with the programme........No.

For all the same reasons I gave...along with having a first hand response from potental puppy buyers.. asking if her pups where KC registered, as they had done their research (programme) and learnt that KC pups where unhealthy.

So two views from two perspectives... no pattern forming there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Is that a fact though BD or is that just people imagining that the GP will go out and buy unreg pups now rather than KC reg pups because of JH? I don't think that the GP are that stupid, are they? I think it has just made it clear to the GP that just because a pup is from KC reg parents, doesn't guarantee anything much at all, including the health of the pup. That isn't a bad thing in my eyes. Awareness can't be a bad thing. Also, I expect that any show/breeders that were breeding irresponsibly in the search of their perfect pup for the show ring, may now be cleaning up their act - don't you think. That definitely has to be a good thing imo

You can still breed for "that perfect puppy" responsibly..as has been going on for as long as we have had pedigrees.

Irresponsible breeding is just that, and if you realise anything about showing you will realize you cant show a sick dog!!!

There is simply no point to it.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I do not show- most people know my views on show line gsds(which i wont go in to)
I liked the fact that the program brought dogs health to the forefront of peoples minds when thinking of getting a pup, BUT i dont like the serious editing and mis-information and falce facts given on the program- it was totally biased so shouldnt of been aired imo.
What would be good was if someone else put together a documentary, explaining health problems etc, but also showing the 'other' side- and that most kc reg dogs that are shown and bred from are the best and healthiest examples of the breed. Yes, changes are needed in some breeds, that is not going to happen overnight and should not be from a knee-jerk reaction to the program. jmo
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Irresponsible breeding is just that, and if you realise anything about showing you will realize you cant show a sick dog!!!
No but you can show and breed from a dog whose faults have been surgically corrected though
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
As a pet dog owner (not a breeder) I am extremely pleased that my attention was drawn to the health problems in certain breeds by this TV program. Without programs like this most people would have no way of knowing that serious health problems might exist in the puppy they are thinking of buying. Who else would tell them? Until the program was broadcast my impression was the KC registration was a sign of quality and good breeding practices. We now know that this is NOT the case.
Me too! I didn't realise until after I'd got my first dog and found this website that KC registration is a guarantee of practically nothing and certainly not better health. So I agree with Scarter that the GP needed to have this brought to their attention.

I am really struggling to figure out how the NEC /KC could stop anyone, JH and all the Staff from DT.. from entering the show.

Probably like the rest of us, bought a ticket and walked through the doors.
That's exactly what they did, they were refused press passes (the KC's prerogative) they weren't banned from the show.

Don't think it is confusing at all.... reporting an unbiased programme on the health of all breeds would be welcomed by all...sadly hers was not.
Unfortunately the type of programme you suggest would have to be very long (and quite dull to anyone outside the dog world) and no broadcaster would have been interested in commissioning or showing it. Not saying I agree with this but that's the media system.

Reporting a sensationalism biased programme edited to show thew world of breeders and dog shows in a negative way... will gain the reaction it deserves.
The main point is it got a reaction, a big one!!! and things started to happen. The KC have been talking for 2 decades about changing breed standards but did sweet f.a. about it until their hand was forced by this (admittedly flawed) progamme.

(ETA this is a general question/point didn't mean to sound like it was aimed at Jackbox)
Here's my point; why did it have to come to this? Why had they not put their own house in order long before this? There should never have been a need or an oppertunity for JH to make her programme. The KC said they were dealing with the matters she raised, just what was taking them so long?

To the GP the KC represents the highest standards in dogs and breeding it's time they lived up to this.

Then all those lowlifes claimming their dogs are healthier because they are are not KC dogs won't have a leg to stand on.

J
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
You can still breed for "that perfect puppy" responsibly..as has been going on for as long as we have had pedigrees.

There is simply no point to it.
Really...................not all dogs that are sick or carriers of disease look the way they are, like the dog that was shown on the programme, being used at stud, that did have a serious health issue - I think he went home with many a rosette in his PROUD owners hand!
Page 9 of 28 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »