Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 37 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
but not as far as the skeletal system where growth plates dont close and so they grow bigger
Yes but this happens if you neuter at 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months. Testosterone plays the part in closing the growth plates at sexual maturity. If you remove this testosterone before maturity (before the growth plates close) they take longer to fuse, it makes no difference when the testosterone is taken, if it's not present at maturity, it's not present doesn't matter when it was taken. Am I making sense I'm trying to explain it as best I can
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Yes but this happens if you neuter at 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months. Testosterone plays the part in closing the growth plates at maturity. If you remove this testosterone before maturity (before the growth plates close) they take longer to fuse, it makes no difference when the testosterone is taken, if it's not present at maturity, it's not present doesn't matter when it was taken. Am I making sense I'm trying to explain it as best I can
as I said I havent a clue there are just not enough studies done to prove anything I do know the growth plates close at puberty and thats different from maturity
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 09:58 PM
the growth plates close at puberty and thats different from maturity
appologies I mean sexual maturity, growth plates close at approx 8 months to 18 months of age.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 09:59 PM
when I got my shepherd they told me he was a girl and gave me a spay voucher It wasnt till I got the dog to my vet (straight from the shelter)that we realised he had extra parts and actually wasnt a girl he also had a 104 temp so thank god they didnt put him under to spay him anyway the point of my post is the voucher they give you you have to use at one of the shelters supporting vets of course no one but my own vet is going to touch my dog so I didnt use it. There was no follow up on the shelters part so as far as they know I have a unspayed bitch so they dont even pay attention to the vouchers(OR THE DOGS) and there is zero screening of the adopters you just say I want that one and as long as you have the adoption fee its yours also if they base their numbers off how many vouchers are used they must be way off, plus they make you pay for the voucher as part of your adoption fee anyway
The majority of rescues in this country do not rehome like that at all....there are home checks etc, quite a long process in fact and with most you sign an agreement that you cannot rehome the dog yourself if you cannot have it for any reason. It always should go back to the rescue.
So my comment was relating to the majority of cases.
But this is all off-topic to the spaying/neutering age discussion so I won't go on.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
The majority of rescues in this country do not rehome like that at all....there are home checks etc, quite a long process in fact and with most you sign an agreement that you cannot rehome the dog yourself if you cannot have it for any reason. It always should go back to the rescue.
So my comment was relating to the majority of cases.
But this is all off-topic to the spaying/neutering age discussion so I won't go on.
thats cool wish they did that here
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Please don't get personal in threads - if you believe someone is breaking our rules, use the report post icon.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I do think it's a bit young, but that's my own opinion. They're still babies at that age
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 11:47 PM
my and my vets opinon is also 12 weeks is too young,in rescue centers were this happens can i ask,if the pups have came in to you in bad health lets say 10 weeks,do you still put them on the table at 12 weeks or do yo wait how long till there in good health?what about fostered puppies in foster homes are they also done at 12 weeks?
if therev not reached sexual maturity till lets say between the 8-18mth stage why nueter them at 12 weeks?

is it only your rescue anne uk that do this or is it common pratice?its just id never heard of it happening before till last night when you enlightened most of us on this xxzbxx
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
my and my vets opinon is also 12 weeks is too young,in rescue centers were this happens can i ask,if the pups have came in to you in bad health lets say 10 weeks,do you still put them on the table at 12 weeks or do yo wait how long till there in good health?what about fostered puppies in foster homes are they also done at 12 weeks?
if therev not reached sexual maturity till lets say between the 8-18mth stage why nueter them at 12 weeks?

is it only your rescue anne uk that do this or is it common pratice?its just id never heard of it happening before till last night when you enlightened most of us on this xxzbxx
Happy to answer your questions :smt001

Early neutering in the uk is still a fairly new concept, however many private vets and rescues carryout early neutering and it's becoming more common, give it a few years and I believe it will be standard practice over here as it is in the states.

We wouldn't put a sick dog under G.A to be neutered regardless of age. The dog or pup would be treated and brought back to health first, then neutered and then rehomed

All our pups are kept in foster homes and are neutered at 12 weeks before being rehomed.

No we're not the only rescue that carries out early neutering :smt001
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Basically you have a choice of neutering before or after sexual maturity. If you want to wait until after sexual maturity you have to wait until at least 18 months of age, this carries far to many risks of the dog having an accidental mating. If you neuter before sexual maturity the younger the better due to healing and recovery times. if you neuter at 8 -17 months you are neutering before sexual maturity and it's been proven that it's more beneficial for the dog to be done younger if you're not going to wait until after sexual maturity.

Lastly there is also the added bonus of knowing those you rehome can not add to the unwanted dog crisis. No matter how thoroughly you vet someone, accidents can and do happen, even if you have a follow up neutering scheme in place.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 37 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »