View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tracyh259
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just picked up your story by Googling it. Hope things are going well, but have to selfishly confess my interest being piqued as my Berner has eaten a foreign object (ie hubby's cycling gloves). It happened Sun PM and logic tells me, as his other functions are fine, that everything will be OK, but wanted to know about others' experience. Do I go to our vet, or concur with the latest advice from your vet, that even if it doesn't come out, it's not harming him?
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi! Glad you came here. I'm relatively new myself, but have found this a wonderful community.

You can't go wrong taking him to the vet, or at least phoning them up for advice, but if functions are going on as normal, don't panic. Do watch him very carefully. Stretchy objects like socks and underpants (and, presumably, cycling gloves) can cause problems if they aren't passed. Above all, watch out for signs of bloat. Symptoms are pain (dogs tend to hide this well, but you may see anxiety, panting, pacing, whining, hiding, That Look-- you know your dog), retching without producing anything or perhaps only a bit of mucus, trying to poop without producing anything, or, in later stages, signs of circulatory disorder (check the gums: they should be healthy, warm and their right colour, and refill with blood right away if you press on them for a second or two. If they don't, or if they are cold or blue, get to the vet). If you see any of these symptoms, don't wait: get him to the emergency vet right away. Even if it's nothing, no vet will fault you for caution. Bloat is extremely serious and can kill very quickly, but it is readily treated with surgery if caught in time.

If everything's going normally, just keep an eye out. It can take a while for a dog to pass a weird object. One of my own picked up the neck of a broken bottle, crunched it up and swallowed it, with no ill effect-- needless to say we were crazed with worry, but he was fine. You might try giving him some olive oil, to help smooth the journey along. It couldn't hurt.

Good luck to you!
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi

One thing I have learnt from this is the advice given for Murphy is not always going to be the same with others dogs for two reasons, one its not the same object & secondly its depends on the size of the dog, a cycling glove may not cause a problem to a 12stone rottie but would with a jack russell,

If it only happened sunday its still early days, get yourself some liquid parafin, only usually for sale in independant chemists now or if you have a horse feed/saddlery place near you its a very commonly bought item for horses so you should find it there, I was told the dose was the same for all dogs & thats 25ml once per day for three days, just keep an eye out for the above mentioned symptons & if nothing has passed after a week take him to the vets for a check up

Helen
tracyh259
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi guys, Thanks for the advice on my earlier posting. Just wanted to report that after 11 days the gloves had appeared in the hall when I woke this morning. I cannot honestly say from which end they emerged, as there was little matter around them to add to my knowledge. All I would say is that unless the dog shows signs of distress - not eating/drinking/unable to toilet/behaving differently, do not try to do anything and let nature takes its course. The vet care line I called, said if they were coming out, they would in 18-24 hours. This obviously wasn't the case. Much relief all round.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by tracyh259 View Post
Hi guys, Thanks for the advice on my earlier posting. Just wanted to report that after 11 days the gloves had appeared in the hall when I woke this morning. I cannot honestly say from which end they emerged, as there was little matter around them to add to my knowledge. All I would say is that unless the dog shows signs of distress - not eating/drinking/unable to toilet/behaving differently, do not try to do anything and let nature takes its course. The vet care line I called, said if they were coming out, they would in 18-24 hours. This obviously wasn't the case. Much relief all round.
So glad the gloves reappeared - strange that they appear to have come out relatively clean - perhaps he was hiding them under his cap
3dognite
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
perhaps he was hiding them under his cap
LOL Hi, I'm new here also. Haven't even had a chance to post an introduction. This thread (excuse the pun) caught my eye because it hit very close to home.

We recently acquired a 4 month old terrier mix, on April 20.
All was going well until about a week later, he started chewing on my couch. I decided to sew up all the dangling threads so they wouldn't be a temptation to him. While I was sewing it up, an important phone call that I had to take came in so, stupid me, stuffed the thread and needle under the couch cushion so it wouldn't be noticable and took the call.
5 minutes later I went back to finish the job, and No Needle, No Thread.!!

We searched and searched, no sign of it, but my gut told me where it was. I called vet, took him right out, X-ray, had to be sedated for that, and yes there it was on the X-ray in his stomach in all it's bright and shining glory.

The vets agreed that it was something that would not pass and operated on him that day, kept him there for 2 more days on IV fluids, went home, special diet for 1 week, antibiotic for 30 days. Just finished it yesterday.

Cost of ordeal: $965.00 Peace of mind: Priceless

If it had been almost anything other than a sharp skinny needle we too would have followed the wait and see approach, but the object being what it was led us to believe that it was worth the risk in this case.

I'm happy to be able to say that our pup is doing very well now. (Darned dogs!!) (Ooops, excuse the pun again )

I hope your fellow continues to do well and decides in the future that dog food actually does tastes better than silicone.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9