Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Healing thoughts on their way for Cassie.

My friend has a three year old rescue GSD who has had three fits, one whilst in season, another when she would have been due to have her puppies if she had been mated(which she wasn't)& then she came in season again after 3 months & had that season stopped & was spayed, then had another fit just after she was spayed(again around when she could have been having puppies)

The vet believes it is hormone induced & touch wood there have been no more daytime fits since May.

Is Cassie entire ? just a thought, if not unfortunately there are some lines in BC's that have epilepsy in them
Thanks Joedee. No, Cassie isn't entire. She was spayed before her first season. xx
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:42 AM
So sorry to hear about Cassie. I know what you are going through, I had a Golden Retriever that had Epilepsy, I also have a grandaughter that has it. It is so scary and you feel so useless, you can only comfort them at the time. Hopefully it may be something than can be treated quickly. I am sending all my healing thoughts and prayers to Cassie.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Oh Jackie, I'm sitting here crying over what you had to witness again in the night, when I was in fact, hoping to hear some really good news from you. I don't know what to say, I just hope your vet has now seen her first thing this morning and has given you some medication and checked her all over. As for you, you must be in total shreds and shock, so some gentle hugs from us for all of you up there, this is truly devastating, my favourite little girlie going through this, but she'll be ok, you've got everything you need to know from your vet and from people on here who are also going through the same, and they've all assured you that under the right medication this will be totally under control from now on. Thinking of you Jackie, my heart really does go out to you at this terrible time, but it'll be ok now, you're at the vets with her, they'll help her all they can you know that.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
So sorry to hear about Cassie. I know what you are going through, I had a Golden Retriever that had Epilepsy, I also have a grandaughter that has it. It is so scary and you feel so useless, you can only comfort them at the time. Hopefully it may be something than can be treated quickly. I am sending all my healing thoughts and prayers to Cassie.
Thank you. You're right you do feel useless and it is frightening. I hope it can be treated quickly too. Thanks again . xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh Jackie, I'm sitting here crying over what you had to witness again in the night, when I was in fact, hoping to hear some really good news from you. I don't know what to say, I just hope your vet has now seen her first thing this morning and has given you some medication and checked her all over. As for you, you must be in total shreds and shock, so some gentle hugs from us for all of you up there, this is truly devastating, my favourite little girlie going through this, but she'll be ok, you've got everything you need to know from your vet and from people on here who are also going through the same, and they've all assured you that under the right medication this will be totally under control from now on. Thinking of you Jackie, my heart really does go out to you at this terrible time, but it'll be ok now, you're at the vets with her, they'll help her all they can you know that.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Aitch. It was pretty traumatic but she seems ok now and it's been 9 hours since the seizure. We've decided to walk her slowly to the vet as she wants to be out and doesn't know why she hasn't had her morning walk yet. We'll just take our time and it's quite cool out here this morning. Our appointment is at 11 so will let everyone know how we get on. Thanks again mate xxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi Jackie

Poor Cassie (and you!), I am so sorry to hear this. The vets will probably want to do blood tests to see if there are any causes. Loki also had MRI and spinal tap (expensive!).

It is terribly frightening to see a dog having a fit. The best advice I can give you is just try to keep her safe, i.e. away from any objects where she might hurt herself during the fit but watch her teeth and paws because she will be gnashing and clawing and you could get hurt.

The Guardian Angels website for canine epilepsy is a wonderful source of information:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

and I read on here that sometimes an ice-pack applied to the back during the fit can help stop it. It didn't work for Loki but it's something to try.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...om/icepack.htm

The dog may be blind for a short while after the fits and want to pace around and this is normal and called the post-ictal phase. Sometimes it is worse (for us) than the fits themselves as the dog will bang into things. Try to keep everything quiet and calm, tv switched off, low voices etc.

The dog will also be extremely hungry so will need some food as it takes a lot out of them. Also thirsty and hot so try to keep the dog cool - a wet towel can help and try to get some fluid into her so she doesn't become dehydrated. When Loki is in a bad way, we use a cleaned out washing up liquid bottle to squeeze water into his mouth. Rose (Brandykins on here) uses chicken soaked in water if it's hard to get water in and it works a treat as the dog is ravenous so wants the chicken.

Also, as Karen said, a little ice-cream and honey can help bring blood sugar levels back up very quickly. We give Loki a teeny amount of ice-cream before bed. Some people say that Rescue Remedy afterwards helps too.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-.../ice_cream.htm

Here is the Guardian Angels advice for care during and after fits:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...gencycare.html

General info on seizures:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-..._treatment.htm

And another site, by the neurologist who did the MRI with Loki:

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/

I'm sorry for the huge pile of info there and I know you will not have time to read it all but I hope it will be of some help anyway. Let's see what the vet says and recommends. There are other causes of seizures than epilepsy.

Huge hugs to you all and I will check back later to see how you got on.

xxxxxxxxxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thanks Joedee. No, Cassie isn't entire. She was spayed before her first season. xx
I would start keeping a diary for her, noting what food, exercise, weather conditions etc on the days she has her fits(although I do hope that she never has another one of course)

Diaries can be great value to your vet on diagnosing possible causes
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll be thinking of you all at the vets, I hope you can get this sorted out quickly! These things can come in little bursts and then nevr happend again. Jakes fit was one big one and then a couple of smaller ones over the next two days, i think it was three in total and he was fine after that.

I know the worry you are going through and I so sorry it happened again. I'm sure Cassie is in the best possible hands with you, keep us posted!!!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Thinking of you,

I hope Cassie will be ok,
Hugs xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I was just wondering after reading that very informative post Lucky has put up, whether you can actually put something in their mouths to stop them biting their tongues, like you do with humans? I know we had a girl in our office who used to suffer with them, and some of us would rush over to stop her falling off her typing chair, whilst others grabbed a pencil to stick in her mouth sideways? Just a thought!

Still got everything crossed her for you Jackie and John.xxxxxxxxx
Page 9 of 22 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »