Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
not that I am aware of - although I would guess it could crop up in all breeds? - why do you ask?
You have not been in that situation to have to make that decision. I hope you never will be.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Deafness is not an illness or disease, animals born deaf know no difference. They rely on their other senses instead.

It is we as the human species have this fear of imperfection. This fear has come down from generation to generation.

In days gone by deaf people were hidden away because they were "different" or "imperfect". It is so sad we as a species cannot look beyond what we perceive to be normal or perfect........
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
........but do deaf pups crop up in your breed?
Why would that matter? The only deaf Border I have heard of was 15yrs old, which of course is entirely different.

I dont think of it as a breed thing, i think of the probable implications it could have on the dog and the public.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Must admit when it comes round to firework season I often sadly find myself wishing that Parker was deaf as he wouldn't then react to all the bangs and explosions outside!

I think a deaf dog would be much easier to cope with indoors as probably don't bark as much as hearing dogs but I know someone who has a deaf blue merle collie that is very hard work but I don't think this is due to its deafness but because it is very nervy.

My late Dad was almost completely deaf due to someone making a home-made bomb in the factory where he worked at the time. This madman threw the bomb and my Dad just moved to grab a kitten out of the way or it would have been killed. This saved his life but he was left with nearly total lack of hearing sadly.

It was hard work communicating with him and because it is a disability you can't really see people often thought he was aloof as he didn't respond to then when they were speaking to him.

Different with dogs of course as they go more by smell than other senses. I know from personal experience with Cherry losing her sight how horrified I was when I realised I had been doing agility with a dog that was nearly blind (felt awful). Cherry had just adjusted and got on with it however-it is us that get the hang-ups about coping with disabilities. Yes a dog with a disability can be harder work than a so-called "normal" one but I am sure you will learn a lot in the process of caring for this type of dog that you would miss out on otherwise. Things like patience and care and compassion. Sadly we live in a world where perfection is expected and anything less than this can just be disposed of.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2010, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=Velvetboxers;2128129]Im not as good as you Jackie about fitting in answers between the post but here goes - excuse any errors or bits in wrong places

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

P.S... I know a few people locally who have white Boxers, but funny enough, when talking to them, none of them new anything about deafness in white Boxers? End quote"

You need to look at the whole picture here. The dogs are hearing therefore the breeder did not need to mention that white pups could be deaf. Why should they & bring to attention a faint chance. For the percentage born each year - 25% as we know there may be a very small minority that are deaf. I wonder how many of the coloured pups born each year are deaf. Deafness is not always exclusive to colour. With the trend for flashy dogs (white markings - white marks down front of face quite sought for) white pups will continue to be born & with it the risk of deafness. Trends need to change or should i say "fashion" needs to change.

Breeders and owners should be informed of ALL potential problems in ones breed.

If the pup isn’t deaf I don’t see why the new owner has to be informed anymore than if it is a coloured pup – however if there is a possibility then yes I agree.

On the point "why should a breeder inform , if it may not happen" have to disagree with you there Helen, I think its a duty of care if a breeder suspects she is selling a deaf pup to a new owner, to inform them of the risks.

I worded that wrongly, I meant it that the pup was hearing – I agree that if there is a chance the pup is deaf or partially hearing the new owner must be told
Hopefully , said breeder will have investigated all pups first to ensure none are deaf and going to unsuspecting homes.

Exactly

But as in life , some breeders will be unscrupulous.

Yes that is true – in years gone by some breeders gave white pups away to good homes. A vet I sometimes use told me that he has a client with a brindle dog and when he went to view the pups the owner commented on the fact there was a white pup whereupon the breeder told him if he wanted the white pup he could have it

Owners that discard a deaf pup will discard any pup with what rhey consider to be a problem. Since our rescue was formed there has only been a few deaf whites came through & all have gone on to be successfully rehomed.

Why did they come through to you? due to the deafness or other reasons.

Usual thing – change in family circumstances – check out the website niboxerrescue We got a deaf White pup from a rescue in Eire – he was fostered by a family who had got a hearing White Boxer from us and as soon as he was ready to be homed he was homed very fast with a family who already had a Boxer

The point they do end up in rescue, means 1) new owner was nto informed, 2) new owner could not cope...luckily those few have found the right home

Not necessarily there are other other reasons as above. I will ask our rescue co-ordinator if anyone over the years has given a white deaf Boxer up because they couldn’t cope with it

People are fickle & have no problem getting "rid" of dogs. They dont do any history of our breed before jumping on the bandwaggon to buy one. The point is Jackie if you or I got a pup that turned out to be deaf we would work with it & train it. If we had a pup thar had behavoural issues we would workwith it & train it. Pups are too easily obtainable &too easily disposed of when it suits

I completey agree, that why I would not condemn a breeder for taking matters into their own hands regarding deaf pups.

Couple of years ago i met a couple in PAH with elderly brindle boy. Their comments to me where " Knew someone who had white one, theyre all deaf, blind & sickly, wouldnt have one" & that assumption was based on one white dog who was partially deaf in one ear.

You will always get that attitude from some.
I dont disagree with you Helen , I agree with all you say, and I beleive a deaf pup can have as good a life as their hearing counterparts.

I guess the only difference is I beleive the breeder is the best person to judge where and who her pups go to, and if said breeder feels her deaf pups would be better off being PTS... then I dont condemn them.

I understand where you are coming from - my belief is that once life has come into this world, it should have the chance to grow and survive. As is evident on this forum, there are lovely caring people who take deaf dogs into their homes and hearts and love them as much as any companion animal
QUOTE]
Unfortunately Helen, that people on this forum and others are a small proportion in life.

I know you see more of it than me, but I am a firm believer in the thought , there are worse things that can happen to a dog than being PTS.

Deafness is not an illness or disease, animals born deaf know no difference. They rely on their other senses instead.

It is we as the human species have this fear of imperfection. This fear has come down from generation to generation.

I dont think its anything to do with fear, more commitment to be honest. committing finding the right owner with the commitment needed to invest in a deaf dog, is going to even harder.

In days gone by deaf people were hidden away because they were "different" or "imperfect". It is so sad we as a species cannot look beyond what we perceive to be normal or perfect........
That's a sad fact of life , I am afraid, but our attitudes has changed from the days when we locked "the mentally ill" or "different" away in dark forgotten places.

Helen.

To reply in between quotes, simply, quote said post, then highlight what you want to direct your too, then write under that, and highlight it in a different colour.

I beleive in the same as you Helen , a deaf /blind dog can have as good a life as any, if in the right hands.

I just dont condemn the breeder who decided to euthanize ,
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Deaf dogs can be more bitey than hearing dogs, the pager collar vids I've posted discuss this and also the use of the pager to wake the dog up and make him aware of your presence ect.

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 09:25 PM
You have not been in that situation to have to make that decision. I hope you never will be.
I havent made the decision no, nor did I make a comment on this thread about what I felt right or wrong
Although just because I havent been in the situation myself does not mean I can not have an opinion on what I do find the right and responsible thing to do.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I havent made the decision no, nor did I make a comment on this thread about what I felt right or wrong
Although just because I havent been in the situation myself does not mean I can not have an opinion on what I do find the right and responsible thing to do.
Yes of course you have the right to your opinion the same as any of us.

I was merely thinking along the lines that if deaf pups did not occur in your breed you would not have to make any decisions.

Faced with a 4 + week old pup whom you have raised from day one it may not be so easy to make a decision to have an otherwise healthy pup of that age PTS
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes of course you have the right to your opinion the same as any of us.

I was merely thinking along the lines that if deaf pups did not occur in your breed you would not have to make any decisions.

Faced with a 4 + week old pup whom you have raised from day one it may not be so easy to make a decision to have an otherwise healthy pup of that age PTS
I get what your saying I do - and I dont really have an opinion on it - as long as the breeder feels they are doing the right and responsible thing what ever they choose - and if thats finding it a new home, let it be one that knows of the problems, is perpared and can deal with a deaf dog. Of course its not nice letting a pup go at 4weeks, believe me I know its heart breaking - but for me the dog comes first over the feelings of anyone - you have to look at the whole picture, and decide what you feel best for the dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why would that matter? The only deaf Border I have heard of was 15yrs old, which of course is entirely different.

I dont think of it as a breed thing, i think of the probable implications it could have on the dog and the public.
There are some breeds where a deaf puppy can occur

I was thinking along the lines that if deaf pups did not occur in your breed you would not have to make any decisions.
Page 9 of 27 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »