Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its awful. Vets have had a lot to do with it and TV aswell. Welfare is suffering because of it too. People breed a dog with very high working instincts and sell to people who cannot cope.

been doing this with springers for years, sad to see it happening in other breeds, as it happens i'd love a border, but if this is happening with borders there will be more turning up in rescue
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Sorry, I see temperament and health as one and the same. So I meant that.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Sorry, I see temperament and health as one and the same. So I meant that.
Absolutely and responsible breeders would not use a health tested dog if it didn't have a good temperament.

My friend has a flat coat btw which is a dual champion, he even won BOB at Crufts after winning the working class.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup it is great that you have a breed that can still do that
but it isnt true for many breeds
and that is sad and something I am very against happening in 'my' breed

exactly, well put. You need to know the strenghts and weaknesses and working style to get an idea of the best dog to put to your dog
- based on working ability and what you need in a dog

hmm yes and know. Its nice to show off your tool, let people see how well it can do the job
and many farmers are proud of their dogs
also they want to be able to breed the best workers they can - because a good working collie does the job of many men

Yes Im afraid a vet friend of mine when I was looking for a dog said borders were the healthiest breed she had seen
- she didnt say anything about a 1st time owner taking on a working terrier breed
I had a Vet contact me the other day wanting a puppy from Livvy, I pointed out she is just 16mths, he replied well thats old enough isnt it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
been doing this with springers for years, sad to see it happening in other breeds, as it happens i'd love a border, but if this is happening with borders there will be more turning up in rescue
The most I get asked on discover dogs is coat and running off! They "didnt realise"the coat would need to be stripped, and they "didnt realise" that they would run off, chase things and go down holes!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I had a Vet contact me the other day wanting a puppy from Livvy, I pointed out she is just 16mths, he replied well thats old enough isnt it?
One of our Vets has one as well.....but she is certainly not one that you would want!! I think she was a rescue...and she has a couple of issues....well...just one really...and they all have 2 legs!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
One of our Vets has one as well.....but she is certainly not one that you would want!! I think she was a rescue...and she has a couple of issues....well...just one really...and they all have 2 legs!
They are not easy dogs Hannah, not at all, not unlike a Collie really, full of energy and instinct. Great in the right hands, a nightmare in the wrong hands.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:03 AM
They are not easy dogs Hannah, not at all, not unlike a Collie really, full of energy and instinct. Great in the right hands, a nightmare in the wrong hands.
Trust me - I know!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Along with collies, patterdales (nightmare in the wrong hands) and many many JRT's.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Trust me - I know!
We need to stop agreeing here!
Page 89 of 103 « First < 39 79 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 99 > Last »