16-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll also add this for some reading:

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...llDogsBite.htm
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Terri View Post
I have been reading the posts on Dogsey for some considerable time now, especially this thread.

I think it should have been titled, Pit Bulls-are they dangerous? but if you think they are, expect to be belittled and condemned by the socially challenged among the membership.
I agree with pit bull victim and no amount of disparaging remarks will make me change my mind. Neither will any staged photographs of pit bulls snuggling up to babies have any influence on my opinion. Pit Bulls kill people, so how can they be considered anything other than dangerous. It's irrelevant whether some pit bulls are ok with kids, it's the ones who are not who add to the breeds worsening reputation as a devil dog.
Anyone who takes a pit bull on and leaves it alone with a child definitely has a screw loose, or more than likely, has no respect for the wellbeing of their own offspring.
Wouldn't it be lovely if the anti pitbull populas could actually form a well balanced reasond argument to support their views.

But alas, that would seem to be asking to much.

What the anti pitbull populas seem to be ignoring quite conveniently it seems is that, no one on this thread has said that pitbulls arn't dangerous. What we have been saying is that:

1. The breed of the dog does not automaticly mean that the dog will be human agressive. There are far more environmental factors that go into creating a dangerous dog, than just its breed.
2. Any dog regardless of breed, are subject to those environmental factors. Therefore, any dog regardless of breed, can become dangerous/human agressive and can kill.
3. With the above in mind it is therefore logical to conclude that all dogs regardless of breed, have the potential to be dangerous, and that the pitbull is not some special case.
4. Historically, the pitbull was not bred for human agression. Infact, it was discouraged as a pitbull that bit a human in the fighting pit was disqualified. Losing the owner their money and most likely the dog its life. There are other breeds that because of the job they were bred for have more potential towards human agression than a pitbull, subject to environmental factors.
It is important to point out that like the pitbull, those breeds in the right hands are no more dangerous than any other breed, when raised correctly.

In conclusion

The pitbull like any other breed has the potential to be dangerous however, they are not more likely than any other breed to become dangerous.
Any dog regardless of breed is an individual. Their likes, dislikes and triggers are molded by the environment in which they develop.

Ignorance and intent are what breed dangerous dogs.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Wouldn't it be lovely if the anti pitbull populas could actually form a well balanced reasond argument to support their views.

What the anti pitbull populas seem to be ignoring quite conveniently it seems is that, no one on this thread has said that pitbulls arn't dangerous. What we have been saying is that:

1. The breed of the dog does not automaticly mean that the dog will be human agressive. There are far more environmental factors that go into creating a dangerous dog, than just its breed.
2. Any dog regardless of breed, are subject to those environmental factors. Therefore, any dog regardless of breed, can become dangerous/human agressive and can kill.
3. With the above in mind it is therefore logical to conclude that all dogs regardless of breed, have the potential to be dangerous, and that the pitbull is not some special case.
4. Historically, the pitbull was not bred for human agression. Infact, it was discouraged as a pitbull that bit a human in the fighting pit was disqualified. Losing the owner their money and most likely the dog its life. There are other breeds that because of the job they were bred for have more potential towards human agression than a pitbull, subject to environmental factors.
It is important to point out that like the pitbull, those breeds in the right hands are no more dangerous than any other breed, when raised correctly.

In conclusion

The pitbull like any other breed has the potential to be dangerous however, they are not more likely than any other breed to become dangerous.
Any dog regardless of breed is an individual. Their likes, dislikes and triggers are molded by the environment in which they develop.

Well said!!! And THAT is the whole point.... !
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I have been reading the posts on Dogsey for some considerable time now, especially this thread.

I think it should have been titled, Pit Bulls-are they dangerous? but if you think they are, expect to be belittled and condemned by the socially challenged among the membership.
I agree with pit bull victim and no amount of disparaging remarks will make me change my mind. Neither will any staged photographs of pit bulls snuggling up to babies have any influence on my opinion. Pit Bulls kill people, so how can they be considered anything other than dangerous. It's irrelevant whether some pit bulls are ok with kids, it's the ones who are not who add to the breeds worsening reputation as a devil dog.
Anyone who takes a pit bull on and leaves it alone with a child definitely has a screw loose, or more than likely, has no respect for the wellbeing of their own offspring.
Anyone who takes any breed of dog on and leaves it alone with a child definitely has a screw loose, or more than likely, has no respect for the wellbeing of their own offspring.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

In conclusion

Bravo! This is exactly the point so many are making and that a few select others seem to ignore.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Bravo! This is exactly the point so many are making and that a few select others seem to ignore.
Tbh, its not so much the fact that they seem unable to comprehend the point we're trying to make, more than the fact that they seem unable to articulate a response in a way that is productive to their argument, that gets me.

Getting the upper hand in a debate, or trying to get someone with a differing view to see things from your perspective requires:

An understanding of the subject.
An understanding of the opposing argument, and the motivations behind it.
And most importantly, a well constructed, well articulated counter argument.

Throwing immature insults at the opposition for example, will be nothing more than counter productive in an argument that relies just as much on persuasion as it does on information.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Ive watched this thread for ages, I have suspicions about Pit Bull victim. His styles fits another.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Well that's not surprising - given you and pitbull-victim share the same IP

Account banned - we do not allow multiple accounts here.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 02:17 PM
It amazes me how people that are so vehemently anti this breed or that breed, can differentiate so massively between one breed and another.

Surely a dog is a dog. He is a product of his upbringing first and foremost as so many of the dogs owned by members on the site prove.

I have a dog who is apparently born to chase, hunt and kill. She does chase but has no bloodlust at all. My dog is also typecast as a snappy, yappy creature. She doesn't bite and only barks in play or to sound an alarm.

My lurcher, who had years of hunt instinct bred into his type, was fearful of any small furry creature that crossed his path. He adored the cats he lived with but would leave the room when the hamster was out of her cage.

My point is that you cannot just assume that a dog will behave a certain way just because one of his type have. Of course you may expect certain tendencies, but just because one collie is a natural herder, does not mean another will be. Each dog is an individual and should be treated as such.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Guess the pitbull answers.

1. Alapaha Blueblood Bulldog.
2. American Pitbull Terrier.(APBT)
3. Patterdale Terrier.
4. Dogo Argentino.
5. American Pitbull Terrier.(APBT)
6. Dorset Old/Olde Time Bulldog.(DOTB)
7. American Bulldog.(ABD)