Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I don't know that there is any connection with queen anne legs and early onset arthritis. If there was, we would be seeing an awful ot of this in achondroplastic breeds. Conformation is just a small part of fitness. There is a whole load of other qualities to do with soft tissue and physiology that are all under genetic control and if a dog is an efficent worker despite a bone abnormality, then he has to have good general fitness, not to mention temperament which is a major part of this.

A dog that is put through the rigours of a work discipline would break down if it did not fullfil the requirements and I'm talking here about qualities that don't have DNA or clinical testing, there's no way that those could cover everything. The only way to test for fitness is to use the dog in the field.

Late onset disease is always a problem and this where DNA testing is a godsend but it will never eliminate all LO diseases as new mutations always occur. But the very practice of breeding within a closed gene pool increases the incidence of these... and yes I know the working fraternity do breed this way, though probably to a much less extent than show breeding. What I'm proposing as a heathier way of breeding, is to open gene pools to selection based on performance rather than aesthetics and pedigree. This would reduce the incidence of genetic diseases across the board, to an extent where DNA testing wasn't needed.

There is massively more genetic diseases in the human population compared with dogs (5,000:~400) but we don't all go through DNA screening before being allowed to breed, yet the incidence of serious genetic disease in humans is relatively low... much lower than in the canine population.

Oh yes I agree I think we've got to a point where the deformities we see in many breeds will become unacceptable to the general public.
I didn't say there was, they're 2 seperate examples. Again I have to disagree, just because the dog is fit, doesn't mean it's healthy.

Yes breeding within a closed gene pool will always increase health problems, but as I've said opening the gene pool and getting rid of individual breeds is never going to happen, so the idea of breeding healthy mutts is a moot point so to speak.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Pod - another one who can say exactly what I want in fewer words

I dont think anyone is saying that DNA testing and stuff isnt a good thing in some places - I was just saying that my preference was to find a dog proven on the field so to speak

Just taking collies as an example, I know there are new genes being discoverd all the time
when you are testing your dogs where do you stop?? Hips and eyes, parentige, how about all the temprament things that are being discovered?? I believe they are well on the way to find the nervousness gene, then agression? then of course if they found the gene for 'eye' in a collie would show breeders care to keep that in their selection?

Many working collies would not be considered good conformation - cow hocked or something - but they have proved themselves with work abitlty
Many show bred collies have evolved due to judge selection to be too heavy boned for most farmers to look twice at - although these are considered good conformation

and a big problem I can see with the DNA testing is that it will further restrict a already small gene pool
DNA testing is not really 100% yet - we dont know everything
so dogs with 'bad' results would be excluded from breeding - wheras - as has already been said - there have been some excelent workers who would not have been considered for breeding because they had bad hip scores - but because of the muscle development these dogs were able to perform as well as a dog with good hips

hahaha - I was just thinking about how everyone would be up in arms if it was suggested that humans would have to be screened before being alowed to breed.

Yes totaly agree on the state some breeds are getting into - that has to be sorted out NOW before these poor animals are so deformed they can have no quality of life
and its sad because many of these people would argue that breeding for show and conformation is preserving the breed - but if that was the case why over time is the looks of the show dog changing so dramaticly?
DNA testing can gradually remove carriers from a breeding population, it doesn't automatically exclude animals. Such DNA testing has got to be a good thing as, without it, in effect, you don't know what you're breeding due to the nature of the carrier gene! A few generations of healthy dogs proves nothing when a disease can hide away for many, many generations. It may only pop up every now and then, but at the end of the day you've still ended up breeding affected pups purely because you refused to health test. It's a preventative measure, why ignore it!

Also, personally, I don't think the gene pools of the more common breeds is really relevant. IMO it's the unnecessary in breeding and close line breeding that's causing more hereditary problems than the size of the gene pool. Think of the thousands of registrations of Labs and Springers (even within the show world) there is, but yet people will always want the latest winner, instead of thinking about the health and longevity of their breed!

I also don't think you can compare humans to dogs either. Dogs are pedigrees, humans are just mongrels!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes breeding within a closed gene pool will always increase health problems, but as I've said opening the gene pool and getting rid of individual breeds is never going to happen, so the idea of breeding healthy mutts is a moot point so to speak.

Opening the gene pool doesn't mean getting rid of breeds. Breeds, or more accurately 'landraces' were in existence long before the advent of pedigree breeding. It's little more than a century since closed registries were set up. Prior to this, breeding was somewhat random and selection was post zygotic as opposed to the pre-zygotic of today.

'Fixing type' has been the mantra of pedigree breeding but this is not how dogs were bred for thousands of years pre 19th century.

DNA testing can gradually remove carriers from a breeding population, it doesn't automatically exclude animals. Such DNA testing has got to be a good thing as, without it, in effect, you don't know what you're breeding due to the nature of the carrier gene!

Yes of course DNA testing is a good thing. In closely bred populations it is a godsend but it will not restore health to a diminishing gene pool.

A few generations of healthy dogs proves nothing when a disease can hide away for many, many generations. It may only pop up every now and then, but at the end of the day you've still ended up breeding affected pups purely because you refused to health test. It's a preventative measure, why ignore it!

Again, closed gene pool breeding does benefit from DNA testing but there are far more diseases than can ever be tested for and the closer the breeding the more these will tend to show up. Outcross breeding reduces the chances of recessive meeting up to produce disease. In addition to this we have ill health that is not controlled directly by gene action.... more to do with diversity, or lack of.

Increased homozygosity of the MHC complex genes is now thought to be a significant factor in the increase in immune mediated diseases. Very significant in many of today's breeds. There is no DNA test that could ever prevent this occuring, only opening up the gene pools would.

Also, personally, I don't think the gene pools of the more common breeds is really relevant. IMO it's the unnecessary in breeding and close line breeding that's causing more hereditary problems than the size of the gene pool. Think of the thousands of registrations of Labs and Springers (even within the show world) there is, but yet people will always want the latest winner, instead of thinking about the health and longevity of their breed!

The two are intrinsically linked. If you inbreed you are automatically reducing the gene pool and if you breed within a small, closed gene pool, you are automatically inbreeding regardless of what's on the pedigree.

I also don't think you can compare humans to dogs either. Dogs are pedigrees, humans are just mongrels!

And all the healthier for it
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Opening the gene pool doesn't mean getting rid of breeds. Breeds, or more accurately 'landraces' were in existence long before the advent of pedigree breeding. It's little more than a century since closed registries were set up. Prior to this, breeding was somewhat random and selection was post zygotic as opposed to the pre-zygotic of today.
In English please!

'Fixing type' has been the mantra of pedigree breeding but this is not how dogs were bred for thousands of years pre 19th century.
Just out of interest, what would you do to improve pedigree breeds then? How would you go about governing the opening of individual gene pools?

Yes of course DNA testing is a good thing. In closely bred populations it is a godsend but it will not restore health to a diminishing gene pool.
How are the gene pools diminishing? Dogs can now be bred fairly easily across the world, making the gene pools expand if anything. I certainly wouldn't say English Springers (or many other breeds for that matter) have a small or diminishing gene pool! Some people seem to think that if a certain line has been free from health problems for generations, then health testing isn't necessary. All I was saying, in the event of the carrier gene, that that's a load of twaddle!

Again, closed gene pool breeding does benefit from DNA testing but there are far more diseases than can ever be tested for and the closer the breeding the more these will tend to show up. Outcross breeding reduces the chances of recessive meeting up to produce disease. In addition to this we have ill health that is not controlled directly by gene action.... more to do with diversity, or lack of.

Increased homozygosity of the MHC complex genes is now thought to be a significant factor in the increase in immune mediated diseases. Very significant in many of today's breeds. There is no DNA test that could ever prevent this occuring, only opening up the gene pools would.
English again please!

The two are intrinsically linked. If you inbreed you are automatically reducing the gene pool and if you breed within a small, closed gene pool, you are automatically inbreeding regardless of what's on the pedigree.
Now to me inbreeding is Mother to Son, Father to Daughter. Line breeding Mother to Grandson, Father to Granddaughter etc.

In my experience inbreeding very, very rarely happens, line breeding is more popular and healthier imo. Again I don't think the majority of breeds have a small closed gene pool.

My understanding of the "begininng of the world" was that we all came from the same initial organism and then evolved along different paths, so aren't we all inbred anyway?!

And all the healthier for it
That I definitely disagree with!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 09:43 PM
In my breed it doesnt matter where in the world you buy the dog if it is from West German lines they are inbred on the same sibblings half sibblings in the 6/7th generations dependent on age. Same again with some of the working lines, so the actualy gene pool is small and it is this that causes some of the genetic mutations and development of new inherent conditions.
The best way forward would be to cross the lines between work/show lines, you may loose type for a few generations but would decrease the incident of inherent conditions.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 09:53 PM
In English please!

Sorry. Before the advent of pedigree breeding, it is said that very few intentional matings took place as dogs were more or less freerange and chose their own partners. The fittest and luckiest of the offspring survived and the best workers were retained, and so selected to keep the 'breed' going. This is post zygotic, meaning 'after fertilised egg' as the actual mating partners were not planned and selection was based on the progeny. Pre-zygotic is when matings are planned so the breeding partners are selected.

Just out of interest, what would you do to improve pedigree breeds then? How would you go about governing the opening of individual gene pools?

I think a good start would be for breed clubs to embrace the KC's recent introduction of the scheme to incorporate unregistered dogs into the stud books. From what I gather, there have been applications to do this in the Bearded Collie and Bloodhound. The Beardie one didn't get past the breed club as they regard the working type to be untypical in coat. Actually it's the show type that has incorrect coat according to the standard but that's another matter

The KC info on this - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/pr...q=registration

Another step forward IMO would be to allow cross breeding in varieties such as the Belgian Shepherd, Rough and Smooth Collies, Dachshunds, smooth and lomgcoat Chihuahua etc etc.

Also better education and regulation for judges to reduce the tendency for exaggeration that occurs in many breeds. THe GSD for instance has a wide gene pool but because of extreme types, we have different factions that breed only within their own type, so restricting their individual gene pools.

How are the gene pools diminishing? Dogs can now be bred fairly easily across the world, making the gene pools expand if anything. I certainly wouldn't say English Springers (or many other breeds for that matter) have a small or diminishing gene pool! Some people seem to think that if a certain line has been free from health problems for generations, then health testing isn't necessary. All I was saying, in the event of the carrier gene, that that's a load of twaddle!

The diversity of a gene pool is dependent on the number and relatedness of the founder animals, and the breeding stratergies since foundation. In breeds that have a small number of founders, or which have gone through a bottleneck, the gene pool will be reduced regardless of breeding stratergy. It matters not that you can now go to the four corners of the earth for 'unrelated' lines, these will all have originated from the same gene base so will be close genetically whether it show in the pedigree or not. The only way to expand the breed gene pool is to outcross to a different breed.

Inbreeding does actually reduce a breeds diversity because whilst selecting dogs of close relation, you are discarding dogs that are less related, so in effect reducing the number of alternative alleles ('genes') in the population.

English again please!

I'm going to do this one with a link. C A Sharp, an Aussie breeder, scientist and writer, well respected on both sides of the Atlantic - http://www.ashgi.org/articles/immune_rising_storm.htm

Now to me inbreeding is Mother to Son, Father to Daughter. Line breeding Mother to Grandson, Father to Granddaughter etc. In my experience inbreeding very, very rarely happens, line breeding is more popular and healthier imo. Again I don't think the majority of breeds have a small closed gene pool.

That's the generally accepted definition of inbreeding but that only accounts for what's in the immediate family. A more efficent way of calculating involves the COI - coefficient of inbreeding, which can inccorporate many generations and produce an estimated degree of homozygosity based on this. In could be that some dogs that have no duplications in a five generation pedigree are actually higher in COI than dogs from a close breeding on paper.

My understanding of the "begininng of the world" was that we all came from the same initial organism and then evolved along different paths, so aren't we all inbred anyway?!

Yes, good point! When life began the organism would have been under the control of just a handful of genes and it has taken billions of years for the development of more complex life forms that require thousands of genes arranged in chromosomal formation. New genes and alleles are formed by mutations and these occur at a more or less predictable rate.

It has taken the wolf many hundreds of thousands of years to develop, and the dog, thousands of years since domestication. It's not yet known for sure how diverse the domestic dog foundation was but there has undoubtedly been new input from the wolf over the millenia which has produced a diverse gene pool.

Human interference in creating breeds in the last century has diminished the individual population gene pools to such an extent that the mutation rate has no hope of compensating within those breeds.

That I definitely disagree with!

We may not be particularly healthy as a species but that's more to do with lifestyle and our own polution than genetic factors. The human race has a massive number of identified genetic defects compared to dogs, yet dogs have a much higher incidence of genetic illhealth.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
In my breed it doesnt matter where in the world you buy the dog if it is from West German lines they are inbred on the same sibblings half sibblings in the 6/7th generations dependent on age. Same again with some of the working lines, so the actualy gene pool is small and it is this that causes some of the genetic mutations and development of new inherent conditions.
The best way forward would be to cross the lines between work/show lines, you may loose type for a few generations but would decrease the incident of inherent conditions.
Ahmen to that! I'm hoping to include some working lines in my dogs to bring back some of the natural hunting ability lost from the show type ESS.
Sorry. Before the advent of pedigree breeding, it is said that very few intentional matings took place as dogs were more or less freerange and chose their own partners. The fittest and luckiest of the offspring survived and the best workers were retained, and so selected to keep the 'breed' going. This is post zygotic, meaning 'after fertilised egg' as the actual mating partners were not planned and selection was based on the progeny. Pre-zygotic is when matings are planned so the breeding partners are selected.
Sounds pretty sensible to me.

I think a good start would be for breed clubs to embrace the KC's recent introduction of the scheme to incorporate unregistered dogs into the stud books. From what I gather, there have been applications to do this in the Bearded Collie and Bloodhound. The Beardie one didn't get past the breed club as they regard the working type to be untypical in coat. Actually it's the show type that has incorrect coat according to the standard but that's another matter

The KC info on this - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/pr...q=registration

Another step forward IMO would be to allow cross breeding in varieties such as the Belgian Shepherd, Rough and Smooth Collies, Dachshunds, smooth and lomgcoat Chihuahua etc etc.

Also better education and regulation for judges to reduce the tendency for exaggeration that occurs in many breeds. THe GSD for instance has a wide gene pool but because of extreme types, we have different factions that breed only within their own type, so restricting their individual gene pools.
Can't disagree with that, all the better for the dogs. But of course there is one major flaw - people would have to start thinking of the dog first and not the rosettes hanging on their wall. Knowing the human race, that would take alot of persuasion!

The diversity of a gene pool is dependent on the number and relatedness of the founder animals, and the breeding stratergies since foundation. In breeds that have a small number of founders, or which have gone through a bottleneck, the gene pool will be reduced regardless of breeding stratergy. It matters not that you can now go to the four corners of the earth for 'unrelated' lines, these will all have originated from the same gene base so will be close genetically whether it show in the pedigree or not. The only way to expand the breed gene pool is to outcross to a different breed.

Inbreeding does actually reduce a breeds diversity because whilst selecting dogs of close relation, you are discarding dogs that are less related, so in effect reducing the number of alternative alleles ('genes') in the population.
I see what you're saying there, but as I've said before taking pedigrees back to crossbreeds just isn't going to happen. I agree with trying to widen the gene pools, but you have to be realistic.

I'm going to do this one with a link. C A Sharp, an Aussie breeder, scientist and writer, well respected on both sides of the Atlantic - http://www.ashgi.org/articles/immune_rising_storm.htm
Thanks for the link, will have a gander tomorrow!

That's the generally accepted definition of inbreeding but that only accounts for what's in the immediate family. A more efficent way of calculating involves the COI - coefficient of inbreeding, which can inccorporate many generations and produce an estimated degree of homozygosity based on this. In could be that some dogs that have no duplications in a five generation pedigree are actually higher in COI than dogs from a close breeding on paper.
Ah I'm guessing this is the percentage rate sometimes quoted with pedigrees? What, in your mind, is the best percentage to have? Or to put it better, the highest percentage you would be happy with (again being realistic within the pedigree breeds! ).

Yes, good point! When life began the organism would have been under the control of just a handful of genes and it has taken billions of years for the development of more complex life forms that require thousands of genes arranged in chromosomal formation. New genes and alleles are formed by mutations and these occur at a more or less predictable rate.

It has taken the wolf many hundreds of thousands of years to develop, and the dog, thousands of years since domestication. It's not yet known for sure how diverse the domestic dog foundation was but there has undoubtedly been new input from the wolf over the millenia which has produced a diverse gene pool.

Human interference in creating breeds in the last century has diminished the individual population gene pools to such an extent that the mutation rate has no hope of compensating within those breeds.
Very interesting.

We may not be particularly healthy as a species but that's more to do with lifestyle and our own polution than genetic factors. The human race has a massive number of identified genetic defects compared to dogs, yet dogs have a much higher incidence of genetic illhealth.
Yeah like I said, we're all mongrels!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Ah I'm guessing this is the percentage rate sometimes quoted with pedigrees? What, in your mind, is the best percentage to have? Or to put it better, the highest percentage you would be happy with (again being realistic within the pedigree breeds! ).

I don't think this is something you can do on an individual basis as it requires a joint effort within the breed but the general impression that I get from my readings is that the lower it is, the better. I don't actually see the odd inbred litter now and again, for the right reason, as anything to scream about so long as all relevant health testing is done, and with good knowledge of the bloodlines. What is more detrimental IMO opinion is continuous 'line breeding' without incorporating outcrossing. It eats away insidiously at the gene pool whilst not being thought of as particularly harmful, as a closer inbreeding would be by some.

Yes, COI is usually expressed as a percentage. Father x daughter, mother x son and brother x sister would each be 25%, assuming there was no other inbreeding in the calculation.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8