register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
What about if I said all dogs be required to do ringcraft training? Sure, it might have nothing to do with what you want to do with your dog, but it teaches the dog skills doesn't it? Equally, national service might teach a few lessons but I find it hard to believe those skills can't be learnt through other avenues.

The problem with teenagers is very like what happens with bull breeds. The media focuses on the bad, many people would be surprised were they to go into a classroom full of teenagers.

I like the sound of that, I can see many getting a job sharpish!

Can anyone tell I like to compare things to situations involving dogs?
Excellent post Alice.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I voted yes!
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:41 AM
If you too lazy to find a job within a year or two of leaving school then yes you should do the service, but not if you have a job and are interested in a career.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:51 AM
So I think what many of us are saying (I'm surprised at the results of this poll to be honest!) is that for those kids who want to carry on in further education, they can do so, for those who go from school into a job/apprenticship etc, they can do so, but for those who leave school and go straight on benefits they can't. In fact maybe they shouldn't be able to get benefits at all once they leave school and have to go into the 'National Training Scheme'?
In this country we are now on our 3rd generation of people who have never worked which is horrifying, thats 3 generations of people who have never contributed to this country but have taken. That needs to be stopped.
Becky
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Yep, thats what i think, from school to either further education that you HAVE to do, not just an excuse to be lazy, or apprenticeship or if neither of those National Service, for both sexes too....
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:06 AM
When I voted I presumed a National Service meant a NS for everyone - as per other countries.
Yes NS can be deferred until you finish education, but once that is done, you go in for your year, or two years, whatever the case may be.
Everybody - not just the problem element.
I actually think discriminating in that fashion could lead to more bleating from people who think they are special cases. People will bleat anyway, but if everyone has to do it, there's no favouritism.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Re: parents not doing a proper job bringing up their children, perhaps if they had done national service they would be different parents.
Society in the UK has went downhill IMO, youngsters are caught in a downward spiral, some do want to get jobs but the majority don't, remember, these ones will be the parents of future children and so it will go on and on.

National service could perhaps break that downward spiral, give them a sense of responsibility and accountability, nowadays all they want to do is have a good time on state benefits.
Well it had to start somewhere, and the first generation of feckless useless parents must have had parents who did national service and it obviously failed to work in their case.
Why can't those that fail in their responsibilities be held accountable?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
But I'm not talking about traditional national service and never have throughout this thread?

I've been talking about a training programme similar to national service (for men and women) for those how see fit to contribute nothing to society and sit on their backsides claiming benefits that us hard working tax payers pay for!

Is that too much to ask?
Ok well the original post was about National service, and if we wait until they claim benefit before putting them into your training course half of them will have kids etc. and will be excused. Perhaps they need to learn much earlier in life that their are alternatives and that they can have aspirations.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok well the original post was about National service, and if we wait until they claim benefit before putting them into your training course half of them will have kids etc. and will be excused. Perhaps they need to learn much earlier in life that their are alternatives and that they can have aspirations.
I totally agree but who is going to show them this, a lot of their parents are already in this system and cant see the wood for the trees. If all you see is poverty, unemployment and crime then that becomes your world. At least with compulsory NS they get a chance to see what they could acheive if they got out of bed before noon.
For the young people who have been brought up well and whos parents did a good job, I dont think it is too much to defer their careers for a year and experience something
different.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I totally agree but who is going to show them this, a lot of their parents are already in this system and cant see the wood for the trees. If all you see is poverty, unemployment and crime then that becomes your world. At least with compulsory NS they get a chance to see what they could acheive if they got out of bed before noon.
For the young people who have been brought up well and whos parents did a good job, I dont think it is too much to defer their careers for a year and experience something
different.
Maybe we could start to recognise a lot earlier in their lives that they need a little (ok a lot) more motivation to get out of their comfort zone and give them something to aspire to.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >