View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angel 02
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2008, 02:27 PM
im not sure what i feel about this subject, i have a staffie (angel) who loves to play with other dogs as long as they are bigger than her. but sometimes people get funny when she is off the lead and call there dogs back so now i keep her on the lead then people think im keeping her on because she is not friendly and avoid us even more, any advice???
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by angel 02 View Post
im not sure what i feel about this subject, i have a staffie (angel) who loves to play with other dogs as long as they are bigger than her. but sometimes people get funny when she is off the lead and call there dogs back so now i keep her on the lead then people think im keeping her on because she is not friendly and avoid us even more, any advice???
In my Opinion If her recall is good and she can be trusted to behave around others I would let her off, as long as she's not charging upto others it's not a problem. The problems arise when people can't control their off lead dogs.
angel 02
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2008, 03:53 PM
i can control her to a point but if she sees another dog she does charge a bit and wants to play but only if the other dog is off the lead. i do find it hard to make her come back sometimes again any advice xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Since this thread started, i've noticed certain things in respect of it.

Today in the forest there was a family with a tiny CKCS pup on a lead. Flynn went over to say hello and the woman nearly had a heartattack and scooped it up in her arms whilst kind of shooing Flynn away.

I called him back but this family were following quite close behind so Flynn thought he'd have another attempt at saying hello. The woman was in that much of a panic and a rush to pick this puppy up that she dropped it and it was swinging on the end of this lead which she was trying to lift higher and higher in the air. I simply said "He wont hurt the pup" in a kind of 'are you real?' tone of voice before calling him away again. Trouble was Jed could smell this pup in the womans arms but couldnt see it so he was kind of following her with nose in the air wondering what she'd got.

I dont think she was impressed and granted, the pup was tiny in comparison to my dogs but her reaction was totally over the top. I was on the verge of asking her why she'd reacted in such a way but she obviously knew nothing about dogs so I let her get on her deluded way. I got the impression it was going to be one of those dogs who grows up pampered and spoilt and not allowed to do doggy things.

On a brighter note, we came across one lady with an older BC pup who, after putting it on a lead, asked if my dogs were friendly and so allowed them it have a romp around. I think dogs are more willing to respond to a recall if they've been allowed to have a little play than if you deny them all the time.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have to say, in the past, part of the joy of owning a dog, was walking a dog and chatting to other doggy people when out and about. Now, there seems to be less and less of that and more people with their dogs on leads giving off a 'don't come near me please' vibe.
I feel like I am always watching out for other dogs, incase I put my foot in it with other owners.
I think it's really sad.
Whatever happened to dogs being allowed to say hello and greet each other??? It just seems to be happening less and less and I think it's a real shame...or is it just me?
No its not you i agree its one of the pleasures of dog walking ,and still is for me ,where we go everyone is very friendly ,as are their dogs ,so its fun all the way .
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8