register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
breeding white to white is asking for trouble, the white gene is associated with deafness/skin problems so its going to increase the risk
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2005, 09:02 PM
thats what I thought so more red/brindle boxers could be deaf.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 09:05 PM
take a peek here :

http://www.boxerunderground.com/bu20...ite_boxers.htm

QUOTE FROM ABOVE SITE :

"It is my opinion that white boxers carry a version of the regulatory gene that causes over- expression of the piebald gene, producing heavy white color, blue eyes, and deafness. Breeding these dogs back into the boxer gene pool will very likely increase the overall incidence of deafness in ALL boxers (white or otherwise). I do not know the genetics of BCM, but it is not likely that white boxers are free of the defect, and nothing associated with pigmentation (or its absence) should logically protect against BCM. Breeding a white boxer without BCM back into the breed gene pool is not likely to affect BCM incidence, and in fact could worsen it if BCM is polygenic and the white boxer carries some of the responsible genes. If asked, I would be opposed to breeding white boxers -- to either whites or colors. If this practice is continued the prevalence of deafness in all boxers will increase as has happened with other breeds. I know that there is a strong group of advocates for white boxers, mostly because there is always attraction to something novel. To me it seems totally without logic to continue a breeding practice which, based on all available knowledge, will increase the prevalence of hereditary disease in a dog breed"
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks CBT
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
It is interesting that willowwisp mentions breeding white shepherds and them being healthy, as far as I am aware (Im sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if Im wrong ) the white gene in GSDS differs from the white gene in boxers in that blue eyes are rarely seen in the GSD and they have good pigmentation on their noses, eyes, pads, claws, ears etc, whereas white boxers often show blue or odd eyes, poor nose, claw, pad and ear pigmentation, which is linked with deafness.

So you cant really compare breeding white sheps to breeding white boxers
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-02-2005, 09:19 PM
I am reading this disscussion with interest and would like to ask a question i was always told and this is from i was young that white boxers were always PTS because of deafness and health probs as people have said but this last few years i have seen a lot more white boxers about ....reading on this board it seems that some people are saying no there is no deafness or probs with them while others are saying there is
Could the reason that deafness and probs are not showing up be because of the breeders habits of culling out the whites and getting rid of the bad genes passing on the deafness .
Now that the white boxers are not getting culled and people are actually breeding from the white this is going to make the numbers of deaf dogs rise dramatically
Also i have heard some of the white boxers have been used in the making of some of the so called bulldogs going about
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 09:29 PM
minty you will often find that people who breed white boxers will try to justify it by saying that they are healthy, its the same with albino dobermanns there are breeders who insist on calling them "whites" and trying to say that the gene came about by result of white coloured greyhounds used in the original creation of the breed, when the simple fact is that albino dobes are genetically true albinos and they suffer many health, conformational and behavioural faults but of course the breeders charging £1200 for them as "rare blue eyed white dobes" are not going to tell you that

Its rare to find a breeder of dogs, or colours within breeds which carry health risks, who will be honest enough to admit these things, because if they admit it, what implications does that have towards their ethics as a responsible breeder? :smt017
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Willowwisp I am shocked that you are breeding a white boxer, why? they may be born healthy but at the end of the day they do carry a faulty gene , there is very good reasons for not breeding whites.
I am totally against culling white pups at birth but I most certainly don`t agree they should be bred, I have a stunning white boxer and a very good example of the breed outwardly but he carries a fault, I have two flashy boxers(white pup parents) they have had one litter which produced 4 white pups, I would not breed them again.
This is my personal opinion, I would really like to know WHY

yvonne
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
now say what you like or call me what you like but if i was into breeding boxers instead of staffords if white pups or any pup was depremental to the health of the breed i would cull it I would not like doing it but I would do it because it is my responsibility to maintain the health of the breed ......and as I have seen from above people are going to breed of white pups regardless of the health issues
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
rehoming ex brood bitches to good homes i dont see that as being irresponsible
omg, my mouth literally dropped when u said that!!!!!

If anyone is so damn selfish that they will get rid of 'breeding stock' when they r too old to breed from anymore, they certainly are not responsible! These sorts of people should NOT be allowed to breed. As far as i can see they are obv in it for the money and dont give two shits about the dog in question.

I agree that it is stupid to breed white boxers when they carry a faulty gene, but if a white pup does happen to turn up in a litter it shud not be pts, thats disgusting!!!!
Page 8 of 14 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »