View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I plan to use a crate for Willow's first few months, mainly for house training.

She will be locked in the crate when we go to bed, with the front half filled with bedding and the back half with newspapers. I'll be up for 6am to let her out and to clean up any mess, and she won't be locked back again until we go to bed the next night, however the crate will be left open during the day for her to pop into if she likes.

I agree that they can be used responsible, however they can also be misused. xJx.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi Katrina, you seeem to have the right idea when it comes to crate training, but i would like to give you some advice, You mention that you will be placing paper iin the crate. This is ok but if you paper train your dog in the house it will think it is ok to use the paper in the cage and it will be more difficult to stop. Also when ever I placed paper under the bedding ever dog I have had shreds it up like confetti.
All the best
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2006, 08:02 AM
I too think the paper in the crate is not necessary, just set the alarm and get up once in the middle of the night for the first week or so. Mine slept right through after about a week. That way they never get the idea of weeing in the crate.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Thank you Gaz and Trouble. That sounds like eminently sensible advice. I did wonder about how to move her from paper training to outside, I guess I just omit the paper from the start which solves the problem!

Thanks again.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
Thank you Gaz and Trouble. That sounds like eminently sensible advice. I did wonder about how to move her from paper training to outside, I guess I just omit the paper from the start which solves the problem!

Thanks again.
Hi Katrina I too would not put newspaper in the crate or encourage the puppy to relieve itself in there, by using paper you are adding an extra step to the training. If you possibly can it is best to get your puppy used to going outside to relieve itself from the start...
this article may help you.
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
I have crates for both my dogs and as others have said i think if used appropriately they are a wonderful aid for both you and your dog,mine are left open in an out of the way place and the dogs can chose to go in and have a snooze or some 'time out' if they feel like it.Mine do not dislike their crates and consider them 'their own space'
I do feel however that keeping dogs in crates continually for long periods of time or for no reason is wrong and yes you're probably right in saying that people abuse the use of crates.It is a shame.
I wholeheartledly agree with Tink, of all the dogs I've had, it was only when I got Banjo that I got a crate and Banjo loved it so much so that when it was put back up for Seth coming home he kinda claimed it back .... My boys were never shut in there through the day unless there was no other option and they were never left for long periods of time, during the day the door was left open for them to come and go freely using it as somewhere to have 'Time Out' and at night they would be put in there with the door closed for bedtime and neither of them have ended up with 'issues' because of using one ..... but I do think they can be and are abused - unfortunately
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Katrina I too would not put newspaper in the crate or encourage the puppy to relieve itself in there, by using paper you are adding an extra step to the training. If you possibly can it is best to get your puppy used to going outside to relieve itself from the start...
this article may help you.
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
Thanks Mini I want to get it right from the start, so will deffo follow that advice. The pain of having to get up twice during the night will pay off I am sure!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I use a crate for pups to help get them used to travelling in the car cage. The door is never shut, they can go in and out as they please but they are used to being surrounded by wire. My current pup has his cage in the corner and very often takes himself off to bed in it even though he has a huge soft bed of his own. I find all his toys and, sometimes the other dogs toys, in there ready for bedtime. The adult dogs will, given the opportunity, try to cram themselves inside it, not just for the goodies that are in there but I think they feel safe and comfortable in it. I wouldn't feel happy shutting a dog in a cage and going off to work but that is merely my opinion, I am well aware that circumstances very often call for dogs to be shut in for their own safety. When I did work my dogs were all indoors with a dog flap that allowed them access to the garden at all times. From personal experience I find them invaluable and recommended them to the new owners of my recent litter but I would never use them as a punishment.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I use a crate for my JRT but only when i go out for short periods and thats for 2 reasons, firstly he chews and swallows what he chews which has proved dangerous to him, so he is safer in his crate, which is never for longer than 2 -2.5 hours and not everyday.
Also my other dog weighs 30kg more than him so if they were to play fight unsupervised he could become injured.
I do have a very large crate for my big girl but havn't used it for some time now, although she is starting to go through another chewing phase and chewed and ate part of a chair leg last time she was left and has ripped my net curtains to shreds., so she may have to for safety sake have to use hers again for a while if this is going to happen.
I would far rather come in and be happy with my dogs than be worrying about them and have to feel disheartened at the damage.
They are not in them at night as JRT sleeps under my duvet and Big girl on her duvet next to my bed.
If I am going to be out 4 hrs or more I have a lovely lady come in and walk and play with them after a couple of hours.
So used sensibly I think they are great, but I personally don't agree with them to use to housetrain or for use excessivly.
Mine do have stuffed kongs when I go out too so its not so bad.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Mine need to see a crate as "normal" at times as we show roughly 50 times a year and not only do they travel in the car in a large crate for their and my safety, but as Irish champ shows are unbenched most people have a crate ringside as even with one dog it's handy when you need the loo, etc!!! With two dogs on your own it's essential. When I go to UK shows I prefer him in a crate on the bench as I feel it is safer than chaining him and he is better protected against stupid visitors feeding him sweets or worse
Deccy eats in the one I have in the house otherwise Polo would try and steal and there would be a fight. Otherwise, now he is out of the puppy stage, he can do as he pleases and is only shut in at mealtimes or when we are travelling/at shows.
Crates are like everything else - good if used properly, but can be part of an ignorance/cruelty regime if abused like leaving a dog in an undersize crate for 20/24 hours. Also - mine are far larger than that recommended for the breed so there is loads of room for them.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >