Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think you'd only to listen to the comments 'on the street' to know the overall impression left by the programme. People were left with the impression that it's better to buy a cross or unregistered pups because they are healthier <sigh>
In that case they stupidly put 2 and 2 together and came up with 666

The programme didn't even touch the subject of cross breeds or non-kc registered dogs from what I remember.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Have you got a reference please---I can't find it.

Thanks.

rune
The owners had a webpage detailing this at the time, which I can't find. JH confirmed it on another forum. There's a mention to him being pet bred here http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....hs-busted.html
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I thought the cavalier male that was featured was KC registered and being bred from? Are you talking about the one that was ill and the fitting boxer----how do you know they weren't registered? Was it found out after the programme?

One of our vets was on talking about problems in pugs. The eye vet for the area is also at the practise and they seem to see loads of shar peis.

rune
There was a Cavalier female that was featured. From memory of a conversation she was acquired by her owners by going through recommended breeder channels.

The Cavalier male that was being used at stud and passing on the SM condition, however, was definately not pet bred.

The boxer was pet bred as well.

What difference does this make, though?

Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Are you sure? Would those people have bought pups from health tested parents and responsible show breeders before that problem or is the only difference that instead of buying a puppy farmed bichon or beagle they bought a puppy farmed 'cockerpoo' or 'juggle'?
I believe the only difference it made for those that don't care to research is that they might have an inclination to buy an unregistered dog from a puppyfarm rather than a registered one from a puppyfarm.

No difference overall then for that sort of buyer.

Ruby
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
There was a Cavalier female that was featured. From memory of a conversation she was acquired by her owners by going through recommended breeder channels.

The Cavalier male that was being used at stud and passing on the SM condition, however, was definately not pet bred.

Thank you for that information---it doesn't make any difference to me! It was brought up by someone else and I just asked how they knew as i didn't think they were right.

I believe the only difference it made for those that don't care to research is that they might have an inclination to buy an unregistered dog from a puppyfarm rather than a registered one from a puppyfarm.

No difference overall then for that sort of buyer.

Ruby
rune

rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
The owners had a webpage detailing this at the time, which I can't find. JH confirmed it on another forum. There's a mention to him being pet bred here http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....hs-busted.html
He was the only pet bred dog. The others were not.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I thought the cavalier male that was featured was KC registered and being bred from? Are you talking about the one that was ill and the fitting boxer----how do you know they weren't registered? Was it found out after the programme?

rune
The Cavalier bitch that had SM & symptoms was bred by from unregistered parents that were not shown, the Cavalier Champion dog that had been scanned & diagnosed as having SM was asymptomatic & being shown & bred from(with the bitch owners knowing he had/has symptomatic SM)

The 2 Cavaliers were not closely related to each other, although the program did not make this clear-the relationship(or lack or)was simply not mentioned at all, leading(deliberately)the viewer to assume that they were related
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post

Ruby
The owner of the Cavalier bitch in a later interview stated that the bitch was bought locally through an advert & not KC registered.

The difference for the boxer was that the dog was a result of someone buying a dog & bitch from the same litter & them having a litter whilst they were still puppies.

The reason the origins of the two dogs was never mentioned was it would not have been so sensational if this had been mentioned(JH has publicly admitted this)
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 08:25 PM
(with the bitch owners knowing he had/has symptomatic SM)
. . . and selling pups and further descendents of his to pet owners who were NOT made knowledgeable of the inherent risk.
"My name is Gail and I have a reason for joining this forum. In 2009 a programme called pedigree Dogs Exposed was aired on the BBC. I only found out about this tonight after doing some searching on google. My dog Harry was sired by the dog Beauella Radzinski owned by Beverly Costello. I have spent a few hours reading about everything that went on and am horrified.

My dog was born in May 2005, I believe after the first MRI had been done. He seemed OK initially but there was a bit of a delay in getting his kennel club membership.

Harry suffers from very bad itching and yelping pain. I remember seeing a bit of the uproar on the news about this last year but never got round to watching the programme and I just found it on youtube, I remember seeing on the news a dog displaying the same behaviours as harry.

Well harry acts exactly like those dogs on the programme, whimpering, scratching, walking Harry is an absolute nightmare, we have to stop every few hundred yards while he yelps and scratches. Our vet told us it was hayfever or skin allergies and prescribed steroids which did not help one bit.

Something was nagging at the back of my head, probably about beverly being difficult at the time, so tonight just on intuition I decided to google harry's sire as well as the itching symptoms, didn't take long to come up with pages of stuff but most of it was from just after the programme was broadcast.

I am just wondering if anyone else has dogs from this lineif they have SM, whether beverly ever published the results of the scan to prove herself (a long shot maybe?), and well I dont know really know what I want to know, I guess maybe I am just after a sympathetic ear.

I am not a breeder or a knowledgeable dog person, I did not choose harry for his looks, I bought harry for the family, we were adopting a young child and I read all about different breeds before deciding on ckcs for their lovely temperament. Harry is my rock, when we are having difficult days harry is there for me and I am devastated that he may have this condition passed on to him."
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...e-to-post-this
I bought this puppy from a very well known breeder, I didn't breed him myself and no was not aware until last night that his grandfather was affected with SM. Well i suppose there is no point in hiding it, it would show in the catalogue of a show i enter anyway. He was bred by norma inglis and is out of ch.craigowl ryton and craigowl roxette and his relation to beaualla radzinski is that he sired craigowl ryton. Dare i say he is extremely similar to beauella in looks I hope not in health though
http://www.*********forum.co.uk/cgi-...3956#pid953956

Ruby
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If the programme was called 'Pedigree Dogs' or 'Behind the Scenes at the KC' you could reasonably expect BALANCED content. But it isn't. The name of the programme tells you it is an 'expose'. They are obviously going to concentrate on the BAD - not balance it out with the good.

An expose on restaurants will concentrate on kitchen staff who pick their nose or spit in your food - not the staff who adhere to H&S regs and are a credit to the industry.

Or a Builders from Hell programme - it is not going to show you any GOOD jobs a particular builder did - only those where there was justification for harsh criticism.
Thats a good point - an exposed is never going to be balanced

From my experience in my area talking to no forum reading pet owners
Before the first program people round here boasted about their pedigree dogs, one woman paid a fortune for 2 dogs because they had been to crufts - and since then been used as breeding machines till the owner sold them on (and the bitch was actually preggers at the time too) but the woman was very proud of her 'crufts' star - and basically had paid a fortune to rescue a poor puppy farm dog with a pretty rosette
People really did look down on my dogs because they were not a 'breed' and people paid way too much for a dog with 'papers' because they assumed it would be better

Unfort now people round here can be heard saying things like 'I am glad I have a crossbreed because pedigrees are so unhealthy'
So its kind of swung too far the other way

At the moment we really need an 'puppy farmers exposed' and 'designer crossbreeds exposed' programs as well

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The Cavalier bitch that had SM & symptoms was bred by from unregistered parents that were not shown, the Cavalier Champion dog that had been scanned & diagnosed as having SM was asymptomatic & being shown & bred from(with the bitch owners knowing he had/has symptomatic SM)

The 2 Cavaliers were not closely related to each other, although the program did not make this clear-the relationship(or lack or)was simply not mentioned at all, leading(deliberately)the viewer to assume that they were related
Its a while when I watched the show but I thought they were showing the bitch on the show only to show and example of what the condition did
Not saying that THAT was a show dog - but what the time bomb the stud was carrying

The progeam was of course one sided - BUT - that side does exist
What has sickend me is how the show world closed ranks and sharpend their claws
When in reality they should have been attacking the people who DO these terrible things - not saying 'oh but other people do it' but saying 'this is terrible, we dont agree with it and we are doing this to fix it'
I know to an extent this is being done, but more should be being done

Intead of spending so much energy trying to discredit this woman - why not spend the energy educating the public what a good breeder is

As Rune has said that is blooming difficult, I wouldnt know where to start. There is a kennel I know has been strongly reccomended by people on here yet I know for a fact it is producing terrible puppies
- so if I couldnt even find out on Dogsey then where could I find out??

I also want to add as well
I remember crufts on the telly a few years ago doing their little chat to the owners and breeders clips between the showing
and that sickend me almost as much as the exposed program

People with toy dogs stacked 3 deep in crates
A lady getting her (rough collies) ready for the show saying she stops them running about and playng in the weeks before a big show because the energy needed to run would be taking goodness away from their coats

Yup thats not everyone - but thats the ones crufts chose to show

Lets see some good ones please
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Well I have two quite close friends who are exhibitors, breeders & also work their dogs.

1 has Labradors & Border terriers plus 1 dog of two other breeds. They all work in the field(not just trials)& yes all health tests available done-result ? very happy healthy dogs who one day can be looking like a walking mud mound & the next immaculate for the show ring.

The same goes for the other friend who has Bearded Collie, her dogs are free exercised & raw fed & also allowed to work sheep & yes they are immaculate when they are in the ring, but at all other times are quite normal pet dogs.

There are the sites on the net selling dogs/puppies of eavery breed/cross breed in the UK mostly bred by pet owners/BYB/puppy farmers-yet these dogs were never mentions & no doubt won't be mentioned in the next program either. JH gets more publicity & self gratification by making programs that sensational the content-otherwise she would have shown the good side of breeder-like the Border Collie breeders who do far more tests than most breeds & also aid research in to new conditions & problems as they arise.
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 42 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »