Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Ok don't take this the wrong way but if you are not managing anything with it then why do you need the flexibility it offers?

Example; My dog can "go" when off lead and "come" when off or on. If I want to leave him on lead I just adjust his training lead to allow him on the grass next to me (does not mean I will be dragged all over the grass with him if I choose not to walk there) So why would I need the flexibility of a flexi? Unless managing a situation (I.e.re-call)
In my case as I have already explained, Pepsi has a predelectation for badger sets.
The Flexi allows her to potter at a greater distance when in the woods than a regular lead.
As Rips says a little extra freedom.

Rips I think I might soon have to consult you on a professional basis
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I use to use a flexi with Ollie on his harness no problems. I used a long line with a harness on the fields mostly with Ollie no problems they do take some getting use too but imo do work if you work at working them out. I also use to use a double ended training lead with a harness on Ollie no problems. I guess its what works for you and making sure you are in control of situations.

I do know the woman who lives across the way from me used a flexi lead and let her young Husky jump up at a man and he received rope burn round his neck he was not amused.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
In my case as I have already explained, Pepsi has a predelectation for badger sets.
The Flexi allows her to potter at a greater distance when in the woods than a regular lead.
As Rips says a little extra freedom.

Rips I think I might soon have to consult you on a professional basis
Thats what I mean, its managing the fact that the dog wont 'leave' or 'come' when the badger sets are around.

So to me that is managing an issue with them not simply offering flexibility, if you see what I mean

My comment was in reply to:
The Flexi for me is just another tool used when walking my dog, I'm not using it to manage anything
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Personally i think the flexi leads are great, i have only let go of the lead once when leading someone elses dog (run a small boarding kennels) luckily the rascal of a terrier was on the end of a flexi lead so when it shot out of my hand and flew in the direction of the dog the handle part of it circled the dog a couple of times and had him trussed up like a turkey so i was able to retrieve him pretty quickly because he couldnt go anywhere i was thankful he didnt have a normal lead on that day as he probably would have got in to the 1200 acres of woodland next door

Did teach me a lesson though, to always have another handle clipped on to them secured round your wrist just in case.

Agree they can be lethal around other dogs and people and on roads if not used correctly but i have found them handy where we live as its remote where we walk them on a country lane and very rarely see other people or traffic.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:06 PM
i've ordered a long line for opie to use on his day time walk in the park, but it's back to flexi lead a the moment. i was walking him off lead, but he's started to ignore his recall round other dogs, and with oh's mam deciding to try and eat anything that she thinks is edible off of trees and the floor, i need to be in control of him at all times while keeping a very close eye on her. it just means that his off lead walk is a teatime in the fields. at least there i can see well in advance if anyone is around with a dog. the flexi feels really heavy and akward, whereas with the long line i can tie it round my waist if need be.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
i've ordered a long line for opie to use on his day time walk in the park, but it's back to flexi lead a the moment. i was walking him off lead, but he's started to ignore his recall round other dogs, and with oh's mam deciding to try and eat anything that she thinks is edible off of trees and the floor, i need to be in control of him at all times while keeping a very close eye on her. it just means that his off lead walk is a teatime in the fields. at least there i can see well in advance if anyone is around with a dog. the flexi feels really heavy and akward, whereas with the long line i can tie it round my waist if need be.
Put a carabiner through the handle and you can clip a flexilead round your waist if you want to carry it while Opie is off lead. just lock it after clipping through the carabiner for a perfect fit - one size fits all -he-he!I don't like walking dogs along the road on flexileads at all, so do that and swap it over with a halti lead, which also clip round the waist really easily without having to resort to tying them.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tibter View Post
What is it about Tibetan breeds? Mine is a Tibetan Terrier and cannot be trusted to come back. He was taken to a dog trainer when he was younger. After ten individual lessons the trainer did teach him to sit and walk to heel.
I think it is East Asian breeds in general. They were not selectively bred for obedience but for looks or work. So obedience is probably not the right term. They were not bred to be as tame as the Western breeds. Like my bangkaew will come when out on a run because he thinks it his job to be my right hand man, but at home when he is 'off duty' forget it. Same with other commands, if you have food in your hand, he will do anything you ask. If not, he will not even sit. He thinks - why do you want me to sit?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I have been considering getting a flexi for Jake. He spends most of his walks offlead, and his recall is pretty good. He has, once, chased a runner though... he usually always ignores them but this one he didn't. I do believe that it was because the guy was standing and started full out sprinting really suddenly, but now, I will not let Jake off lead around any runners/joggers. I don't think he really needs to go onlead, but I think it is better to be on the cautious side, just in case.

I have used a long line with Jake in the past, and it was fantastic for teaching Jake recall. I have recently tried to use it with Paddy, and oh, it was horrific... I am thankful to the long line for helping with Jake... but it brought back all the negatives... the difficulty in reeling it in, how wet and muddy it gets (and covered in grass cuttings!), getting tangled around me, and the dog!

I think a flexi would be great for using with Jake, so that on the few occasions he needs to go onlead, then he can still get a wee bit more of a wander (the other night, he was onlead for an hour coz there were joggers running around the park). If people use them correctly, I don't see a problem with them. They reel in easily, the don't get all digusting and eww! And they don't get tangled on the dog it is being used with. We used one when we had Sam, and it was great with him.

The one I am looking at for Jake is a tape one, both because of his weight, and coz I refuse to get a cord one! Those ones I do not like, I think they are at more of a risk to snap... I have met a few people who have cord ones that have snapped, but haven't met anyone who has had a tape one snap.

Those who have had flexi's snap... has that been tape or cord ones? And was it a proper 'flexi'?
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I bought my first two large sized flexi cord leads nearly 30 years ago to use with our two GSD guard dogs. I have never had a problem with them and they are still going strong and have been used over the years with every medium and large dog of all breeds we have owned or fostered.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I've had my flexi since about 1983 never had a problem with it and although it hardly ever gets used these days it's still working just fine.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >