Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I guess I should have also added something about competitvness
I know I will get slated here
But
In the main I am against people being major competitive with their hobbies that involve their dogs
- imo you do your hobby as something fun to do with your dog that makes both your lives better
I'm ridiculously competitive, I always have been.

As i said earlier, i bought my collies because of agility and wanting to be more competitive within the sport.

This weekend, i was competing, how ironic that my gsd did fab and my collie was an utter hooligan in the ring. She produced two of the worst runs i have seen of any dog in a long time. Am I annoyed with her? no. Am I wanting to rehome her? no. Do i still love her very much? yes. Did she get a big juicy bone with the others when we got in last night? of course she did!!

What im trying to say, is that we can be really competitive but still love our dogs dearly, yeh there are a few people in dog sports that view their dogs as just a commodity, but they are dog owners and not dog lovers.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Dogs were never originally a 'hobby' their co-existance(?) with humans and the benefit to both in a changing world were discovered and utilised. The relationship(exploitation?), lifestyles, reasons for dog ownership and breeding are far removed(very much) from the above. Has all this gone too far to be reversed? At best there are many who try give a dog/s the best life possible within the realms of the world as it is.
'The Old Order Changeth'
'Tennyson'
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 05:52 PM
agree with Collie Convert, im another who wasnt a collie person, til i started doing flyball with the rotts, now i have a colle and a colle x. they (of course) are much faster than the rotts and do/will compete in higher divisions than them, BUT i love my rotties endlessly, and dont care where they get placed, of course i love coming first, but that doesnt always happen, BUT i and they still enjoy it! if they had to stop doing FB tomorrow then so be it and the same would apply to the collie.
Im was NOT a competitive person, UNTIL i started doing FB lol, which was why i wanted the collie. If for any reason none of them could compete, i would very likely get another, but still keep the rest!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post

What im trying to say, is that we can be really competitive but still love our dogs dearly, yeh there are a few people in dog sports that view their dogs as just a commodity, but they are dog owners and not dog lovers.
But im not saying you dont love your dogs
Im just saying I disagree with these dog owners, I dont like that
It is not saying anything bad against you or anyone like you - it is against the people who put the hobby first
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:16 PM
When ever did the changes for the dog/human relationship ever come about and why? Living with, caring/providing for any living creature is far removed from picking up a piece of knitting or any such like
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
actually I am competative in normal life

I never got the feeling from you in your posts that your dogs were only there to win for you. It always sounded liike you love your dogs and you try and give them a good life

You say you are going to breed obedience puppies
Just out of interest are you happy to sell them to a home who will return them to you if they dont do well at obedience? or would you prefer owners who will love and train the pups, and will still love them if they find the pups dont actually excel at obedience
and who will get rid of them when they get too old and are retired?

Will you sell them to someone who has a dozen dogs already, dogs who only ever do things to help their obedience training - or would you prefer someone who gives the pups a full life that includes obedience?
?
I will not sell them as pets or as non competitive Ob Dogs, that would be a waste (imo)

I will only sell them to people that train their dogs in a maNNER I & keep them in a manner i like.
That means a full life, just like a massive majority of Ob dogs have.

They would have to come back to me, at any time that the owner couldnt have them, as any responsible breeder would do. But i would not seell to someone that does not keep their dogs/rehomes willy nilly.

They dont have to excel, thats down to the trainer,buit id like them to be "enjoyed" which with the lines ive got & how fussy im being about the husband, they will be bred to be made the most of.

I think you have some really bad sterotypes going on.

There may be the "odd" person like this , but its far from the norm

To add , id much prefer them to go to serious comp homes, than to homes thsat did only six shows a year, Id like my pups to do the best they can, rather than someone who wasnt doing it seriously
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Obviously baffled by that one ?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Happy to say what I think

If you mean "exploit" as in to employ to the greatest possible advantage, then I don't have a problem with this provided that the dog is well-treated with all of it's emotional, physical & cognitive needs catered for, i.e. the dog is happy. So if this what you mean by "exploit" with pet dogs, then that's fine ~ it's a win-win situation for dog & owner

But if you mean "exploit" as in to make use of a dog selfishly & unethically, then in most circumstances I would not agree with this. But again, just using a dog selfishly & unethically doesn't necessarily mean the dog is ill-treated or unhappy. I'm struggling to thinkof specific examples, but perhaps the exploitation of greyhounds to satisfy human cravings for betting could fit the bill. It doesn't necessarily mean the greyhounds are ill-treated or unhappy just because they're used for racing, but their use in this way is selfish, i.e. primarily for human needs, rather than for the dog's needs.

With pet dogs it seems likely that the majority are cared for, loved & well-treated but perform no functionality for us humans (other than perhaps to fulfil nurturing needs & provide companionship). So in that sense you could say that domestic dogs "exploit" humans
If only the majority of pet dogs were cared for, loved and well-treated
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Whilst it is true that the MAJORITY of ex service dogs are retired with their owners, occasionally this is not possible due to lack of room etc.

With PD it may be that the old dog does not accept the new one or sometimes the dog is a non compliance dog and thus not suited to home life......
I don't want to split hairs, but you said ... "It is often not possible for a guide dog or police dog handler to keep their retired pet, so should they also be castigated?" ... which to me sounds as though it is quite a regular thing for PD handlers not to keep their retired dogs, which is not the case in my experience.

Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I will not sell them as pets or as non competitive Ob Dogs, that would be a waste (imo)

I will only sell them to people that train their dogs in a maNNER I & keep them in a manner i like.
That means a full life, just like a massive majority of Ob dogs have.

They would have to come back to me, at any time that the owner couldnt have them, as any responsible breeder would do. But i would not seell to someone that does not keep their dogs/rehomes willy nilly.

They dont have to excel, thats down to the trainer,buit id like them to be "enjoyed" which with the lines ive got & how fussy im being about the husband, they will be bred to be made the most of.

I think you have some really bad sterotypes going on.

There may be the "odd" person like this , but its far from the norm

To add , id much prefer them to go to serious comp homes, than to homes thsat did only six shows a year, Id like my pups to do the best they can, rather than someone who wasnt doing it seriously
but I think she means if someone bought a pup intending to do Ob, serious style but then for whatever reason dosnt and so the dog is considered useless to them and they want to return it (even though not the dogs lack of ability?)- would you be happy with that? (I dont suppose anyone would be and correct me if I'm wrong BM but thats the impression I got?) or would you prefer that the dog stays with the person beacuse in all other ways the dog leads a fulfilled life?
Page 8 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »