View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I don't know who or what has upset you today Ramble but you seem determined to misconstrue what I have written and turn this into a diatribe againt me and my dog with all sort of assumptions and insinuations.
We have never caused any problems for your dog or anyone else's dog so it may be useful for you to reflect on who you are really angry with.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear you are still having some problems with Tala's recall, but you should take some comfort from knowing that she is a very sociable and friendly girl who just wants to play, play, play.

I would definitely take Mishflynn up on her offer of help with the training, as she really knows her stuff and could help point you in the right direction, or point out where you may possibly be going wrong.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to recall reading an article on dogs with no recall, and that the author suggested splitting the dog's daily food intake (if it is kibble) into three (or was it five?!) parts. Take one part out on each walk. Call your dog and if she doesn't come (which she won't initially) then throw that portion of her food away. Try again with the next part on your next walk of the day and do the same again - and again on the third. Apparently, by the third or fourth day the dog should start coming. You have to be really tough for this to work though, and not feed her anything other than the food if she comes first time.

Another twist on this method could be to halve her daily portion and then take out some really high value food reward (fillet steak if need be ), which she only gets when she recalls. After a few days of being on half rations she should be hungry enough to start seeing the high value food as worth coming for.

Worth a try anyway?

Good luck. Tala sounds like a really lovely girl who perhaps just needs time to mature a bit. My sister's border terrier was just the same, and her recall has got much better as she has matured.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I don't know who or what has upset you today Ramble but you seem determined to misconstrue what I have written and turn this into a diatribe againt me and my dog with all sort of assumptions and insinuations.
We have never caused any problems for your dog or anyone else's dog so it may be useful for you to reflect on who you are really angry with.
I don't need to reflect on anything as I am not angry. I get annoyed when offlead dogs pester Cosmo when he just wants to play ball and I get annoyed when offlead dogs bark at my onlead dog. Angry? No. Annoyed. Yes.Am I angry with you? No..why would I be, I don't know you and therefore have no feelings one way or the other.

If you feel my posts were a 'diatribe against you and your dog' then I apologise, I am quite surprised you feel that way however,I was just pointing things out from the other side, as someone who's dog hates dogs that chase him when he just wants to play ball and as someone who has a dog reactive dog that is walked on a lead. I was trying to help in the beginning...but you don't seem to want to hear that her behaviour is being encouraged when you let her offlead when she is totally hyped up. That's fine. It is entirely up to you what you do with your dog.
I hope you take Mish up on her offer. As I said I think your dog sounds lovely. At the end of the day, I hope you find a positive method that works for you and your dog and I hope that you are able to find a way to make yourself much more interesting than other dogs,I know how hard that is as we struggle with it everyday. Small steps though.
Good luck.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I don't need to reflect on anything as I am not angry. I get annoyed when offlead dogs pester Cosmo when he just wants to play ball and I get annoyed when offlead dogs bark at my onlead dog. Angry? No. Annoyed. Yes.Am I angry with you? No..why would I be, I don't know you and therefore have no feelings one way or the other.

If you feel my posts were a 'diatribe against you and your dog' then I apologise, I am quite surprised you feel that way however,I was just pointing things out from the other side, as someone who's dog hates dogs that chase him when he just wants to play ball and as someone who has a dog reactive dog that is walked on a lead. I was trying to help in the beginning...but you don't seem to want to hear that her behaviour is being encouraged when you let her offlead when she is totally hyped up. That's fine. It is entirely up to you what you do with your dog.
I hope you take Mish up on her offer. As I said I think your dog sounds lovely. At the end of the day, I hope you find a positive method that works for you and your dog and I hope that you are able to find a way to make yourself much more interesting than other dogs,I know how hard that is as we struggle with it everyday. Small steps though.
Good luck.
I felt that you were taking what I said out of context and changing the meaning. Why do you think she is offlead when she is barking? I felt when I read your last post you had a scenario in your head involving Tango and other dogs and you were trying to fit us into that. You don't need to know us to do that, people do that every day it's normal human behaviour.

I really struggle with her problems which severely limit where we go and what we do and consequently I no longer feel the joy of walking and playing with her as I did with the dogs I had before. So I would like to thank you and everyone else who has taken the time to offer advice and help which is much appreciated. That was what I was asking for, I had no other agenda.

I am hopeful with help that we can work through this. But of course positive training may not be the answer. In which case I may have to resort to ...........
getting another dog!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to recall reading an article on dogs with no recall, and that the author suggested splitting the dog's daily food intake (if it is kibble) into three (or was it five?!) parts. Take one part out on each walk. Call your dog and if she doesn't come (which she won't initially) then throw that portion of her food away. Try again with the next part on your next walk of the day and do the same again - and again on the third. Apparently, by the third or fourth day the dog should start coming. You have to be really tough for this to work though, and not feed her anything other than the food if she comes first time.

Another twist on this method could be to halve her daily portion and then take out some really high value food reward (fillet steak if need be ), which she only gets when she recalls. After a few days of being on half rations she should be hungry enough to start seeing the high value food as worth coming for.
Thanks Kirsty, I like the second option of halving her ration. It has been so difficult to keep weight on her that starving her really doesn't seem feasible. But maybe now she is speyed I will have to start limiting her food.
I have been given some really good ideas to try and as Michelle said somewhere there is a key and hopefully we can find it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I felt that you were taking what I said out of context and changing the meaning. Why do you think she is offlead when she is barking? I felt when I read your last post you had a scenario in your head involving Tango and other dogs and you were trying to fit us into that. You don't need to know us to do that, people do that every day it's normal human behaviour.

I really struggle with her problems which severely limit where we go and what we do and consequently I no longer feel the joy of walking and playing with her as I did with the dogs I had before. So I would like to thank you and everyone else who has taken the time to offer advice and help which is much appreciated. That was what I was asking for, I had no other agenda.

I am hopeful with help that we can work through this. But of course positive training may not be the answer. In which case I may have to resort to ...........
getting another dog!
I was trying to help but I think wires got corssed somewhere along the line. It is hard over the net at times.

I genuinely hope you get it sorted...a word of caution about getting another dog though...you could end up with 2 dogs doing the same thing. She may also not be interested in the dog you get when you go out walking, she may prefer the thrill of new dogs still. There aren't any guarantees it would help at all...Cosmo doesn't help Tango.

Good luck and keep is posted.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8