View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh many many thanks to each of you for your wishes for Loki and me. Since I update this earlier this morning, she has had 7 more, one just a few minutes ago. I thought too she was going to get a spell without them as I had given her her Phenos and Potassium at 11 am - 3 x 60 gms Pheno but obviously the extra one hasn't really kicked in yet. She is lying panting on the floor. I managed to get her to drink water by slicing up a cooked chicken leg - took all the meat off it, skin as well and put in in a bowl with water. So she drank the water and ate the chicken.

I am forever hopeful that they will ease up and hope the last one will be all for a while. If only she could get a good sleep. I am trying to keep my eyelids open!!

Again, everyone, many thanks for your support and good wishes, I do appreciate them.

Take care and hugs to each of you from me and Loki xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh no, how awful that she has had so many more ;(.

I do hope the meds kick in very shortly and help to settle her down. My heart goes out to you & Loki - best wishes sent your way xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Awww...Rose. I'm so sorry neither of you have had any relief as of yet. Will be thinking of you and hoping you both get some respite soon. xxxxx
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Many thanks Anne-Marie and WH. Loki is sleeping at the moment - she drank 2 full large bowls of water, which was great and no more fits so far. I am always frightened to say too much - tempting fate and all that!

I appreciate your comments and wishes and from everyone as well and I am sure they have all gone a long way to helping Loki.

Fingers crossed here - even my parrots have their claws crossed (joke)

I think I may try and get a wee nap - I am shattered!!

Again, many many thanks.

Take care.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Aw Shona, after each fit, they get so thirsty and hungry and ice cream brings them round a bit quicker, I believe. Lucky Star would be able to tell you more about the ice cream. Loki, like other dogs who fit, get very hungry - Loki will even eat the kibble on its own and she hates it normally unless something is mixed through it!! She drinks gallons of water to make up for all the water she loses. I believe this is the case with all dogs who fit.

Take care I will need to put her on a diet next week
A huge amount of energy is expended in a fit and the patient can be ravenous afterwards, so it is useful to offer a small amount of food after a fit. This also brings up the blood sugar levels so that if the fits are down to blood sugar, this may help avoid another one.
The ice cream was highlighted on the Guardian Angels Website, where the sugar and fat content of ice cream is thought to help stabilise blood sugar levels during the night and stave off a fit - if the problem is blood sugar. However, it can also help bring up blood sugar levels after a fit, in order to avoid another one that might come about through low blood sugar levels (brought on by the fits). Only a small amount is required though - about a tablespoon ... Rose, how much are you giving?

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-.../ice_cream.htm
thanks for that info, it makes perfect sense, I understand the blood sugar part more so as royce had diabetes,

so if Im ever in the possition of seeing a dog having a fit, I should offer some food afterwards? or is this only advisable when you know why the dog has taken a fit?

sorry for asking so many questions,
sorry to hear the fits are still ongoing, hugs.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, Loki hasn't suffered another fit since the last one at 11.40 am. She got a sleep - and so did I, on the settee in here in the living room. I even got one of her smiles when I got up from the settee. She has drunk more water and is far more alert now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this cluster has now finished.

She is up on her feet going her walkabouts, as they do, getting to know everything again and she is eating her dinner at the moment - I cut up another chicken leg - the meat off it, I mean, and put it in with a little of her kibble and she is scoffing that down!

Fingers crossed everyone that is the end of them for another long while.

Again, many many thanks for all the moral support and advice each one of you has given me and all your wishes for Loki. Although the fits were bad, they were not as bad as some she has had in the past, in that they did not last as long and I think the extra mgs of the Pheno has helped her.

Take care and many thanks. I appreciate each one of you.xxxx

PS - Shona, I don't see why you shouldn't offer a dog unfortunate to suffer from epilepsy and coming out of a fit, a bite to eat. I am sure Lucky Star will be able to help there. I know that when Loki took her first fit and came out of it (just before her first birthday it was), she went to her eating dish and scoffed the lot of the Kibble, yet before that she wouldn't hardly touch it!!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh Rose I am so pleased to read this. I won't count the chickems yet butreally hope thats it over. So pleased you and Loki managed a sleep, now...go and eat something girl, you must be starving.

Still sending prayers and vibes and lots of hugs
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh no! So sorry to read this, Rose. There there are no more to come with this latest round. Hugs coming your way. x
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Many thanks, Benzmum and Westie. My toes are crossed as well. She has eaten her chicken and kibble and is now sleeping again at my feet, bless her!

I got a lovely smile off her when I woke up earlier - she was lying watching me!!

Again, many thanks for all the moral support you have given me. I do so appreciate it. I didn't feel I was on my own!

Take care.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Thank goodness she seems to be feeling better Rose. I honestly don't know how you cope with the clusters. It's bad enough coping with Cassie having one fit, I really don't think I could do what you do. I have so much respect for the way you cope. Fingers crossed you both get some rest tonight and the worst is over. Big hugs. xxxxx
Page 8 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »