Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

Whilst I do agree with those who say 'enjoy what you have' I don't necessarily think this means just giving up and accepting her stiffness - there are definitely things out there that can make a difference. Different things definitely suite different dogs, so its worth trying different things.
I agree totally. You should try everything. I did. and do. But dont get "attached to the outcome". If it helps than brilliant - have a a party and celebrate, but if it doesnt, then take heart in the fact that you, as a loving human being, have done all you can, you are determined, commited and loving, all very commendable things, but you are not God.

Life happnens. Respect to Hali for pointing out that you will be better in your head for trying all you can. Being the best you can, is a great way to go about things. And what little I know of you, nI do know you will do that. respect to you and to hali.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You really have helped me so much.
And in doing so, it has brought me great joy . THANK YOU for providing the popportuinity and the motivation., You and Flame are special. We all are.

I wish you nth good luck and good fortune.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi, have you heard of/considered Serrapeptase (also called Serratia Peptidase)?

It's a proteolytic enzyme that has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Basically, it digests all forms of inflammatory non-living tissue.

It has proven to be very effective on animals with arthritis and is particularly popular in mainland Europe where it gets rave reviews.

A couple of info links:

http://www.serrapeptase.info
http://www.haventherapies.co.uk/1022....php?p=4&pno=0

The best one I've found for both quantity, strength and price is:

NATURES AID SERRAPEPTASE 60'000IU 90 TABLETS

HTH
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Im not good with Websites. And I cant multiquote. Forgive me.

I am sooooooo chuffed by so many kind words - thank you to all those that have written them. I look for a red faced blushing icon but cant find one. So Il stick with grins.

I have been extremely lucky in my life, granted some very "challenging dogs", to share my life. I have made sooooo many mistakes. But I have chosen to learn from them. And to take that learning and to spread it. And I hope that it helps others.

A serious head injury some years ago, led me to give up my career and focus on my love, dog training. I have been sooooo lucky to have had this wake up call, so early on. It adjusted my thinking to the now. Most of the time at least. Becasue the now is all we have.
Tomorrow I will wake (that's the plan anyway ) and I will count the years of love I have had from my dogs and the love I still receive daily. And I will try to ensure that I repay them. And my friends, who make me strong and teach me. And my customers who make it all possible. And the people I meet in the streeet who give me perspective, and the bed I lie in, that gives me comfort. The flowers that smell lovely, the trees that grow green, the weather that keeps coming, the sun that keeps us all alive. And I will try to enjoy each moment.

Lace could die any second. Any number of bad things COULD happen. But I will not look at those things and focus on them. Why should I spend any moment, thinking of the bad that COULD happen, when I am surrounded by the good that IS happening. "Bad" does happen, but I need not spend the "good" times pondering it - the point of that would be, what exactly???

For those that don't do that appreciation thing, why not try it - it works!

Thank you to all of you for making me feel welcome and useful. I hope that I will continue to be.

I thank you.

Sorry Kirsty for hijacking your very purposful thread. You are trully lovely and I totoally resppect your approach, personality and experince (I need a bow down icon here). I hope that one day we will meet. It will be my proviledge. And thank you for inviting me to Dogsey. Sorry it took me a long te to arrive ,

Thanks again, to all that have made me feel so welcome and useful. What better way to feel in this life than welcome and usefull. ...... I suppose there is always licked to death by an adoring dog..... Connor, where are you when I need an adoring lick??? He's Asleep.....
Once again, a very thoughtful post from you. I totally agree, I think we all should have a wake-up call, I've already had mine 13 years ago now, and just like you, I appreciate everything I have around me, and every single night I lie in bed thanking "whoever" that I have, him, her, them, everything in my entire life and the fact that I appreciate it every single day, just in case somebody takes something away from me Wtg!

Hope you've hit on a restrictive exercise regime for Flame which suits her now Kirsty, and hope you've had a chance to speak to the vet about that Metacam, coz I really think you will be surprised! Good luck with her, it's a good job the summer's here as I'm sure it will help her condition when it's dry too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks again everyone for your lovely replies.

Ziva. I will make a note of the meds you are talking of and speak to the vet about them if needed.

However, I took Flame to the vet today. After a fairly thorough examination, the vet said she thinks the main problem is just the bad arthritis in her hindquarters and possibly also her spine. I told her of the medication we had already tried and that Metacam had been recommended by so many that I would really like to give it a go. So I have come home with a month's supply to try, and see how we get on. Also, the vet agreed with less exercise, but not to stop altogether (2 or 3 short walks a day instead of 1 or 2 long ones) and to continue with hydrotherapy.

Fingers crossed the combination of these things help my special girl
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks again everyone for your lovely replies.

Ziva. I will make a note of the meds you are talking of and speak to the vet about them if needed.

However, I took Flame to the vet today. After a fairly thorough examination, the vet said she thinks the main problem is just the bad arthritis in her hindquarters and possibly also her spine. I told her of the medication we had already tried and that Metacam had been recommended by so many that I would really like to give it a go. So I have come home with a month's supply to try, and see how we get on. Also, the vet agreed with less exercise, but not to stop altogether (2 or 3 short walks a day instead of 1 or 2 long ones) and to continue with hydrotherapy.

Fingers crossed the combination of these things help my special girl
Eeverything crossed here.
The thing to do is find the meds and exercise regime that works for her. Mo did really well on metacam but it didn't touch the sides with Biff, the only meds that have worked with him are rimadyl.
I think you will both enjoy your time to gether on your shorter walks too
You sound much more positive
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Ailsa. You are right - it is all about finding the right balance of everything.

I am feeling much better now I have something else to try
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Good one, you have had some good advice there anything is worth a shot hun. Jake, my Boxer, was on Metacam for 3 years along with other med, and I think it was the Metacam that kept him going, he never showed any sign of sickness with it never vomitied or anything.

Good luck

Elaine xxxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
hi
i hope your girl is feeling better.
please dont think there is nothing else you can do fo your girl metacam is just a starting point as far as nsaid's are concerned.hydrotherapy really does help as it is non weight bearing(so feels nice for her too) and helps builds her muscles to support her, exercise little and often is very important too as no exercise will lead to atrophy.also do you have her on any supplements? ask your vet for stride powder (i can give you the uk reps no if you want it just pm me) it has very good results but it wont happen straight away but can be used alongside her medication.i know how sad it is i lost my best friend through his back end 'going' but he still had quality of life with a little help.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Good one, you have had some good advice there anything is worth a shot hun. Jake, my Boxer, was on Metacam for 3 years along with other med, and I think it was the Metacam that kept him going, he never showed any sign of sickness with it never vomitied or anything.

Good luck

Elaine xxxx
Thanks very much Elaine. It is nice to know that Metacam helped your Jake so much.
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >