Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I do worry at people's knee jerk 'how dare she' reaction.
She is a dog lover first and foremost and she made an excellent programme that has finally made the kC sit up and take notice. Hoorah for that I say.
I totally agree Ramble. The programme was designed to make people sit up and take notice - and it worked! I can't understand how people who are so-called dog lovers would not be backing JH all the way in order to change things around for some of these extremely poorly bred dogs. JH is not attacking ALL dog breeders or even dog showing, but wanted to highlight the plight of some of the very unhealthy, pedigree dogs in this country. Surely this is a good thing for ALL dogs, dog owners and dog lovers?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I totally agree Ramble. The programme was designed to make people sit up and take notice - and it worked! I can't understand how people who are so-called dog lovers would not be backing JH all the way in order to change things around for some of these extremely poorly bred dogs. JH is not attacking ALL dog breeders or even dog showing, but wanted to highlight the plight of some of the very unhealthy, pedigree dogs in this country. Surely this is a good thing for ALL dogs, dog owners and dog lovers?

Thank you Moobli, exactly what I have been trying to say...and exactly what Jemima has been trying to say. I am totally bemused about people being so up in arms about it all.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I for one like and admire Jemima.
She is dedicated to trying to help dogs...I don't see why she gets so much hassle for that.
She has acted as a catalyst to the long overdue changes within the KC that have been happening over the last few months. Brilliant.
I also admire the fact that she is heavily involved in rescue.

The article says nothing that isn't true. It's all true. It does stink of pee a lot of dogs do look bored. Most of the dogs there will live long and happy lives (she says that) but some of the dogs are still suffering. There is also an air of defiance everywhere about her and her programme...a 'how very dare she criticise us'. Instead of people listening/reading. She isn't criticising everyone...she doesn't criticise every breeder, every dog, every show. She criticise the ill dogs that can't walk properly or that are winning high profile shows, despite being riddled with health problems. Good on her.
I'm not always very good a putting what I mean into words but this post says what I feel too.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:11 PM

You would think that (highlighted in bold). However, some people seem to have such a problem with Jemima it's very confusing really. I would have thought that anyone owning dogs/breeding dogs/showing dogs would be all for exposing some breeders for what they are; selfish, self-important and utterly irresponsible! BYBs/PFs and Pet Breeders get slammed for breeding dogs to make money (which I agree is shameful if you breed any dog in the hope of raising cash and no other reason). What about show breeders that breed unhealthy dogs/inbreed.................. in the hope of producing the next Crufts winner!!!!! That's even worse to me. So called 'educated, responsible, respected' people behaving like idiots. Shame on them Respect to Jemima for exposing such people!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
INCOGNITO.........

Considering the term Incognito was Jemima's own!! , and her being a journalist, I am sure she wrote exactly what she meant...
JH said in her article that the KC would not allow her to film at Crufts (what do they have to hide?) and therefore she had to go as a paying customer. As Ramble said, all of Dogs Today staff are refused entry at Crufts! Why?!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
As a pet dog owner (not a breeder) I am extremely pleased that my attention was drawn to the health problems in certain breeds by this TV program. Without programs like this most people would have no way of knowing that serious health problems might exist in the puppy they are thinking of buying. Who else would tell them? Until the program was broadcast my impression was the KC registration was a sign of quality and good breeding practices. We now know that this is NOT the case.

When I saw the program I just thought "OK - something to watch out for when buying a pet. But it's probably a small minority of nut cases that are at fault". I also assumed that there was a lot of sensationalism.

Since the program the thing that has really shocked me and lowered my opinion of breeders as a group is the number of people that try to defend those that are breeding 'mutants' and unhealthy dogs.

The woman that directed the show opened a can of worms. The people that have really given breeders a bad name since is breeders themselves. And not just a tiny minority - it seems that so many want to be allowed to carry on without interference. As if they own the breeds and can do with them what they like.

Of course there are good breeders and healthy breeds. But the ****impression**** that I get from reading threads like this is that the world of *show* breeding is a very insular, unhealthy environment - cult-like almost, with members fanatically believing what the rest of the world can clearly see is not the case.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Until the program was broadcast my impression was the KC registration was a sign of quality and good breeding practices.
Thats just how I felt till I started working at a vets and seeing the inherited problems these dogs have. The GP just don't know because the breeders sure as hell aren't going to tell them when they ring up about buying a pup, so who is?
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
JH said in her article that the KC would not allow her to film at Crufts (what do they have to hide?) and therefore she had to go as a paying customer. As Ramble said, all of Dogs Today staff are refused entry at Crufts! Why?!
I am not shocked in the least, and I admire the KC for standing their ground and I do feel that they were right to refuse entry to JH and her staff, as , to me it's a case of "once bitten twice shy" I think it is better not to give her the chance to turn what people say into the way she wants it to read , as she has done in the past, with a lot of the things in the PDE Programme, just to make it sound sensational, after all that is what sells papers and magazines.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
JH said in her article that the KC would not allow her to film at Crufts (what do they have to hide?) and therefore she had to go as a paying customer. As Ramble said, all of Dogs Today staff are refused entry at Crufts! :shock: Why?!
I am really struggling to figure out how the NEC /KC could stop anyone, JH and all the Staff from DT.. from entering the show.

Just going on the entries I saw going through the doors, the thousands of people with e.tickets, paying on the door... I did not see on member of staff. check one entry to see if their names where on the banned list.

I think it is more likely the KC refused to allow representatives of DT & JH to broadcast ... and interview at the show.

And to be honest can you blame then..would you allow yourself to be interviewed by someone who has already tried to bring you down,

And if JH and her friends where banned from entering ther show... how did they get in.

Probably like the rest of us, bought a ticket and walked through the doors.

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
You would think that (highlighted in bold). However, some people seem to have such a problem with Jemima it's very confusing really. I would have thought that anyone owning dogs/breeding dogs/showing dogs would be all for exposing some breeders for what they are; selfish, self-important and utterly irresponsible! BYBs/PFs and Pet Breeders get slammed for breeding dogs to make money (which I agree is shameful if you breed any dog in the hope of raising cash and no other reason). What about show breeders that breed unhealthy dogs/inbreed.................. in the hope of producing the next Crufts winner!!!!! That's even worse to me. So called 'educated, responsible, respected' people behaving like idiots. Shame on them Respect to Jemima for exposing such people!

Don't think it is confusing at all.... reporting an unbiased programme on the health of all breeds would be welcomed by all...sadly hers was not.

Reporting a sensationalism biased programme edited to show thew world of breeders and dog shows in a negative way... will gain the reaction it deserves.

I am not sure why people seem to think, if you are not a fan of JH , you must have your head in the clouds regarding the health of our dogs..

Thank you Moobli, exactly what I have been trying to say...and exactly what Jemima has been trying to say. I am totally bemused about people being so up in arms about it all.

Again you seem to have privileged information on what and what not JH has in her head... as you seem to know what she meant to say over what she did say.

your tongue back in,” says the owner of a rasping pug, who then helpfully pops the dog’s protruding appendage back into its mouth herself.

“He has an elongated soft palate,” she explains, “and his sister has luxating patellas.” Both are serious faults. And yet here they are at the mecca of pedigree dogdom. “They are a very ill breed,” she then whispers conspiratorially
Mmmmmmmmm.. you would have to be a complete fool to divulgde such information to a tottal stranger standing next to you, dont you think... shame JH has not got proof to back that statement up.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Ramble said:
Do you really think there are no problems in pedigree dogs?
I replied:
I dont think anyone would be as naive as to think that.
Page 8 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »