Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
With regard to the hands off thing, here is what ID says in his contribution to CM's book: "I mentioned over and over that I consider touching a dog to be an earned privilege rather than a right and that training should always be off-leash and hands-off. I have always taught people, to never touch a dog to force him to comply but rather, to touch him afterwards as a reward if that’s what he enjoys". So, a picture of him hands-on with Dune is very much against what he is advocating in the book! Which, I think, is why he wanted it taken out...
Well unless I can see the photograph Its impossible to actually know what is happening here
My impression was he was posing for a photograph with his hands on his dogs collar, rather than actually training him, but the is just an impression I havent seen the photograph

I have watched much of his training classes online (unedited) and what I see he does stand by his hands off principle in the classes
I TRAIN hands off - but that dosent mean I dont touch my dogs, that I wouldnt have my hands on their collar or holding a lead when posing for the camera - because at that point my attention wasnt on the dog and I wasnt training (and my dogs are trained that a collar grab is a positive thing)

Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
There is an episode with a husky type dog, which, if you tone down the language quite a bit, sounds like it might be one of the ones you are relating to. I've seen it on various CM threads. I often wonder what would happen if a child had run into that dog and accidentally shoved it - would it have ignored the child, or exploded into action. What situation would its handler have ended up in - likely to be hanging onto a very energised dog at the end of a lead doing its best to damage small child? But perhaps not, maybe the dog would have realised the small colliding child didn't really mean it?
who knows, possibly like my Mia he would have realised, when she was in the state to almost react to a threat an accidentla touch behind her had her whirling around to see where the new attack came from, she was able to inhibit herself never to bite tho
BUT if while she had been whirling around the lead (which at that point was actually a noose with the lead looped tru the handle) had begun to tighten lifting her off her feet and restricting her air then that would have just reinforced her idea that she was being attacked from behind - and who knows how she would react

Yes there is no denying for many reasons that dog needed help
I just disagree fully with the method used there, it seriously stressed out the collie, the dog being trained and let the dog injure CM - this would potentially give him a bite history and make him unable to be rehomed
and watching later in the episode where the dog was muzzled in a down as other dogs were peraded past him the dog was IN NO WAY fixed, his fear of CM was greater than his desire to attack the other dogs but his body language and expression clearly showed not only was he not happy, but that if he was pushed too far he would launch a swift, silent and v severe attack
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Feel the same as you, Ben McF, I would really like to see the picture, as then you would know exactly what ID is referring to. But I can't see why it wasn't edited out, with no reference to it, as no doubt happens day in and day out in these types of situations. Thus, my suspicious mind says "damage limitation", should it appear on the internet, but as I said before, only my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your experience about your dog, who may have reacted as shown on that episode, or may have been able to inhibit herself. I'm basically a wimpy lurcher type person, they've got my kind of energies. And, for your interpretation of what you saw going on - much appreciated.

I try to train my dogs as each one requires - temperament, breeding, instincts and unique little quirks - they're all very individual. Someone described it on a dog behaviour thread as "aaah, dog training as a form of art" (I think they were trying to be sarcastic, but I like the description - I think I'll design a mission statement for myself around it). So, professional dog trainers I tend to steer away from, other than study, with interest, the various media images and styles being presented.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Is there anywhere online to watch these UK CM programmes? (since his change of methods has come up......would be interesting to see...)
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I think he has used lots of reward from the start.

I don't watch it much (mostly old stuff on sky 3) but have seen him use food to cc a retrieve to a noisy machine.
A squeaky ball to get a dog to stick its head in a looped lead.
And food to reward getting into the car.

I think a lot of time what you see is what editors want you to see. I could video a training session of mine, edit and have 100% aversive or 100% reward.

Adam
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I think he has used lots of reward from the start.

I don't watch it much (mostly old stuff on sky 3) but have seen him use food to cc a retrieve to a noisy machine.
A squeaky ball to get a dog to stick its head in a looped lead.
And food to reward getting into the car.

I think a lot of time what you see is what editors want you to see. I could video a training session of mine, edit and have 100% aversive or 100% reward.

Adam
I couldnt ....
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Mine have never been social dogs, well behaved, yes but since Izze has gotten older & her arthritis has gotten worse, if someone were to come from behind or unannounced to her & bump her in the hip or rear area she would probably lash out. So I try to stop those situations from happening.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Mine have never been social dogs, well behaved, yes but since Izze has gotten older & her arthritis has gotten worse, if someone were to come from behind or unannounced to her & bump her in the hip or rear area she would probably lash out. So I try to stop those situations from happening.
Like CM does. LOL

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I couldnt ....
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Rune- yeah she might be a good canodate for 'teaching him a lesson' lmbo, the first time he shoved her with his leg or 'bit' her, she would grab him, pretty sure of that.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I don`t really see why people need a guru...
Every dog is different, every owner is different so a `one size fits all` isn`t going to work unless you use drastic methods. Like the Ugly Sisters chopping their toes off to fit the slipper.
Dog training doesn`t need artificial aids etc. All it takes is patience and intelligence.
CM isn`t about training - even he says he`s not a trainer. It`s as much about dog training as Wife Swap is like Relate or Come Dining is like Delia.
Page 8 of 14 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »