Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
So Tilly must be a colliedor - I actually think it's a really nice mix

Bint - my hubby uses it all the time (not to me though!) I thought it was a northen thing & people down here don't tend to use it.
Oh no - Labradollie!.....I imagine lots of crosses could be nice...if you get the best of both worlds....however - imaing a dog with the collie drive and the Labrador exhuburance....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 09:27 AM
So Tilly must be a colliedor - I actually think it's a really nice mix

Sounds like a matodor..just needs a red cape now to pull off the image

Bint - my hubby uses it all the time (not to me though!) I thought it was a northen thing & people down here don't tend to use it.
Dont know about it being regional, but most people see it in derogatory way
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Oh no - Labradollie!.....I imagine lots of crosses could be nice...if you get the best of both worlds....however - imaing a dog with the collie drive and the Labrador exhuburance....

Can you imagine the BoxerDoodle

You would end up a Bl**dy wreck
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Can you imagine the BoxerDoodle

You would end up a Bl**dy wreck
There is a Boxermation at training... I swear he has the worst characteristics of both breeds. He is an absolute terror, and not in a cute way!!

However, he is lovely looking!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Good post Becky, shame something that was thought o be a good thing, escalates into a money making scheme by the unscrupulous..

I think some peopel are very clear in their thoughts.

Re Chi`s.... Is it true they only breed from the "big" ones (non standard) because the standard are to small to breed from.... an why would that be.. because they have huge heads, unable to whelp properly.... do they not even the best of them have bulging eyes...

How can that be confused with disagreeing with designer breeding.

one is doing it for money the other is breding to a standard, that if whelping is problem, needs to be looked at , and standard changed .

Still not sure where your two comments are connected.

You dont have to X a Chi to fix any problems,, jus tweak the standard of the existing dogs

I think you are somewhat confused Jackbox. The Chis I have bred from ARE of breed standard size (up to six pounds). I think you might be talking of a thread a while back when someone was discussing that the show breeders often don't use their show dogs for breeding but use the larger girls of the litter to make breeding more safe (surely nobody can be slated for that ). At that time, I believe the smaller Chis did better in the show ring. However, I think that the light is finally being seen, because apparently (so I hear) the larger (still up to 6lbs) are supposed to be appreciated for their size rather than penalised in shows.

If you look at Chi info, Chis eyes should NEVER be bulging but more large and saucer-like. Bulging eyes are not part of the breed standard. I have seen the type Chi you are talking of, where the eyes are literally bulging from the skull. That is not breed standard. That is poor breeding and I should hope never to produce this kind of problem, as I would not breed a dog with bulging eyes (in fact I don't own one) as that would be irresponsible

So, in fact the Chi standards don't need tweeking at all. It's just that people that slate certain breeds need to get their facts right and not assume that every Chi has certain traits. There are poorly bred dogs of all breeds. That doesn't make the breed "painful" to look at as I think was suggested on another thread.

I'm all for crossbreeds if there is something to offer, as in crossing two breeds makes a perfectly healthy dog for a good reason. However, research needs to be done to make sure this is viable. Not just crossing any mish mash of breeds and attaching a ridiculous price tag.

I saw an internet advert for Chihuahua x Pomeranian pups recently, which were ridiculously priced for mongrels. The advert actually said that they were deliberate crosses to make the pups healthy So you see, when people read threads on Dogsey where people are saying that Chis look "painful" and have "bulging eyes" and so on, the wrong message is being sent. Do you see what I'm getting at Properly bred Chis are happy, healthy little dogs that live long painfree lives. Not the mutants some make them out to be because they haven't taken time to research the breed properly.

I think this picture says a thousand words:

My Krystal (to breed standard) with her two pups (both to breed standard):

*Cheeky stands down from her soapbox*
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I never slated them I stated a fact and I have NOT commented on this thread either!

Really Dawn, I believe several people were talking about seeing pain when they look at Chihuahuas and I believe it was actually you that brought up the size of Chis skulls, bulging eyes, short muzzles and so on................perhaps I was dreaming and made it all up in my little old head, or perhaps not
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I think you are somewhat confused Jackbox. The Chis I have bred from ARE of breed standard size (up to six pounds). I think you might be talking of a thread a while back when someone was discussing that the show breeders often don't use their show dogs for breeding but use the larger girls of the litter to make breeding more safe (surely nobody can be slated for that ). At that time, I believe the smaller Chis did better in the show ring. However, I think that the light is finally being seen, because apparently (so I hear) the larger (still up to 6lbs) are supposed to be appreciated for their size rather than penalised in shows.
Yes , thats what I was referring to.... but dont think I was confused ,as you have just confirmed, what I said,

If a breed (any) has problems with whelping due to the size ( of some) then something needs to be looked at.

So, in fact the Chi standards don't need tweeking at all. It's just that people that slate certain breeds need to get their facts right and not assume that every Chi has certain traits. There are poorly bred dogs of all breeds. That doesn't make the breed "painful" to look at as I think was suggested on another thread.

:

No body is slating any breed, just an observation on certain aspects of said breeds.

But this thread is about Designer dogs, not you and your Chis....

So lets get back on track shall we
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes , thats what I was referring to.... but dont think I was confused ,as you have just confirmed, what I said,

If a breed (any) has problems with whelping due to the size ( of some) then something needs to be looked at.

No body is slating any breed, just an observation on certain aspects of said breeds.

But this thread is about Designer dogs, not you and your Chis....

So lets get back on track shall we

Yes it is about designer breeds but you were saying there is no need for crossing, yet in another thread you were saying that certain aspects of Chis are a problem (which they are not if bred properly) just wanted to point out that you were being a hypocrite - AGAIN

If you don't like getting pulled up on your inaccuracies regarding Chis, then don't spout it, because I will pull you up, EVERYTIME

ETA : This is what you said:

Jackbox said:
Even with careful breeding, the breed still has over large heads... bulging eyes.. teeth problems.... does that make Chi breeders any better than the owner who crops their dogs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes it is about designer breeds but you were saying there is no need for crossing, yet in another thread you were saying that certain aspects of Chis are a problem (which they are not if bred properly) just wanted to point out that you were being a hypocrite - AGAIN
If you don't like getting pulled up on your inaccuracies regarding Chis, then don't spout it, because I will pull you up, EVERYTIME

Please find me any post where I support cross breeding any bred to fix a problem.

In this thread... which a about designer breeds... my opinion (which you will find all over the board on this subject) is there is no need for them.

Going back to the other thread... which you keep insisting on throwing up on here...

I said..... from my understanding, that because Chis have large skulls and bulging eyes.. and some have difficulty whelping.... then they need to be looked at.

YOU... have just confirmed my understanding.... albeit.. with a little more explanation,

Breeders who breed to show/breed standard, are breedign from those who would not do well in the ring, i.e they are to big... the reason being that they whelp easier.

Now.. where is the hypocrisy in those two statements..

The Chi, does not need to be helped, by adding another breed... all that needs to be done to promote healthy whelping, is to ONLY breed from those who are capable of natural whelping..which in turn over time will tweak the breed standard to a slightly larger more healthier dog.

Re- the eyes, and skull, the same applies... breed from the less exaggerated.

Same goes for all breeds who are in need of a little help... you dont need to introduce a new breed to improve it.

Now please , I think (I hope) it has made it clear, that that is TWO seperate opinions , not a hypercritical one

And again.... get back on track... your Chis are not the subject of this thread
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 10:58 AM
ETA : This is what you said:

Jackbox said:
Even with careful breeding, the breed still has over large heads... bulging eyes.. teeth problems.... does that make Chi breeders any better than the owner who crops their dogs
And you point is?????????????
Page 8 of 30 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »