View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2011, 08:11 PM
We decided a puppy was best for us, because of the cats mainly, we wanted a dog that had never met a cat before so they could meet on our terms. We adopted Motley as a 12 week old puppy from a rescue.

If you want to rescue then the perfect dog will come along it can just take some time, it must be easier now with the internet though
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I live in Orkney and I got my pup from Derbyshire!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I live in Orkney and I got my pup from Derbyshire!
Schnauzers are quite common in my area especially breedrrs so I wont need to travel far!

bit more excitted I have a price which seems about right as I checked puppy for sale adds online and a breeder has got back in contact with me! Turns out they wil have some puppies of the colour I want around the time im hopping to get a dog! Now all I need to do is sit pationtly wait and save. Of course I have contacted more then just one breeder but all are KC registered I also made sure all had their puppies vet checked with all the propper tests for the breed.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Schnauzers are quite common in my area especially breedrrs so I wont need to travel far!

bit more excitted I have a price which seems about right as I checked puppy for sale adds online and a breeder has got back in contact with me! Turns out they wil have some puppies of the colour I want around the time im hopping to get a dog! Now all I need to do is sit pationtly wait and save. Of course I have contacted more then just one breeder but all are KC registered I also made sure all had their puppies vet checked with all the propper tests for the breed.
Ooo how exciting I bet it's all starting to feel real now. The time will drag.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Good luck
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Even me ? What a rude way to put that !

Well even rescues get it wrong sometimes - dogs bounce back, or they are put into situations where they have to be rerescued. One rescue we visited in our quest for a chihuahua turned out to be taking dogs from an (at the time) well known puppy farm. To me they were simply enabling the puppy farm to carry on with no consequences to them at all. Another offered us a dog and just as we were leaving someone turned up who actually owned the dog and it turned out the dog had been stolen.

So chances of us making a mistake is quite large IMO

So we will still to going to a breeder where we can check who they are and have a reasonable idea if they are genuine.
But what about well known publicised resues like the RSPCAor the Dogs Trust or the Blue Cross - they are genuine
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
But what about well known publicised resues like the RSPCAor the Dogs Trust or the Blue Cross - they are genuine

Name one that will rehome to a flat because that is the only thing we have to mention before they say no way despite having had dogs for over 30 years who have all lived happily and as healthily as they could.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Name one that will rehome to a flat because that is the only thing we have to mention before they say no way despite having had dogs for over 30 years who have all lived happily and as healthily as they could.
Battersea used to - but I have not been there for years, so they may possibly have changed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
The smaller rescues - ones where you can actually go and talk to people are your best bet. The bigger ones have policies made from afar which can`t easily be flexible.
Why not visit or contact someone from a Rescue and talk?
Alternatively you can go on a big UK Rescue site which has a section for homes offered.
The Dogsey software will take out the link so pm me for the web address or google dog pages.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
We did just that for all our dogs I just can't do it any more - physically not possible. I think we are going round in circles now as I am sure I said that before
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >