Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If my dog did enough damage to a child that required 50 stitches in its face, it would be dead in a flash. No questions asked.
Doesn't the situation come into it?

So what would you do then if you had your dogs locked in your secure back garden and a child jumped into your garden totally uninvited by coming over a 6-foot high wall, and your dog attacked the child because it was only defending it's own home?

Please don't tell me you would blame the dog as it was only defending it's own home.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Doesn't the situation come into it?

So what would you do then if you had your dogs locked in your secure back garden and a child jumped into your garden totally uninvited by coming over a 6-foot high wall, and your dog attacked the child because it was only defending it's own home?

Please don't tell me you would blame the dog as it was only defending it's own home.
Sadly Colin my dogs do not guard, they welcome people, so the answer to your question is no, the situation does not come into it for me.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I have always said it and even the if the two dogs I have here now bit a child for whatever reason they would be PTS - Harsh yes but I could never ever trust that dog again, being a mother of a child that was attacked I would not want any mother or child to go through what we did.
And I AM a child that was attacked and was admitted to hospital for quite some time.

It's not a matter of trusting that dog again, it's a matter of being responsible for that, and killing it when it was just protecting itself is wrong IMO.

Sadly Colin my dogs do not guard, they welcome people, so the answer to your question is no, the situation does not come into it for me.
So you are saying that no matter what, your dogs would never ever bite anyone ?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
And I AM a child that was attacked and was admitted to hospital for quite some time.

It's not a matter of trusting that dog again, it's a matter of being responsible for that, and killing it when it was just protecting itself is wrong IMO.

So you are saying that no matter what, your dogs would never ever bite anyone ?
What? NO, im saying if they did they would be PTS.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Same here Dawn,mine would go get their leads and offer to go for a walk too
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I am of the opinion that it would all depend on if there was just cause for a dog to bite/attack, medical or otherwise.

Storm and Jake attacked someone who broke in, that in my opinion was just cause so there would be no way on earth I would have had them put down, let alone even contemplate it.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

Our dog wasn't protecting himself, and if my husband had not been in the same room I'm sure that dog would have killed my son going by the injuries he sustained.

I couldn't have kept that dog, I had two other children to consider also,as well as one that was petried of dogs,I ended up rehoming my bitch because of what took place.

What should I have done with him? Maybe rehomed him so he could attack again,maybe kill a child next time.This wasn't a small breed it was a large powerful Bullmastiff.
I spoke wth Breeders all of them said have him PTS,it wasn't an easy decison but it was the right one.

If either Tyler or Meg bit a child I would without doubt have them pts too.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I have to agree with Lottie, Colin etc. I am definetly of the opinion that situations have to come into play here.

With this particular situation, I believe that Bajaluna had taken appropriate measures to make sure her dog didnt come into contact with the kids - it was the kids mother who ignored the instructions and her actions that caused the consequences., and whilst 50 stitches is a lot - i cut my leg when I was 10 and needed 20 stitches but it wasnt that big a gash - just the shape of it that required the amount, so 50 stitches doesnt necessarily mean that the dog ripped her face off in a frenzied attack it means it had a big jaw and bit. I do think there is a bit of a difference - so if there had been 1 stitch - would that make a difference to the outcome of the dog in some of yours eyes ??

As for other situations - bruno is not a guard dog, but a few years ago 4 kids jumped over our 6ft fence at the back of our garden... bruno wasnt in the garden at the time but I always wondered what he would have done had he been - he does "patrol " the fence line and although he is a big softy it does make me wonder would he have done anything?

Would I have PTS if he had bitten them - certainly not.

I have to say even if Bruno gave a warning nip to Luca I wouldnt have him PTS - i mean thats what I am talking about here - not attacks etc - If we are saying that any bite any situation - would you PTS - no way. It would certainly depend on the situation.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I have to agree with Lottie, Colin etc. I am definetly of the opinion that situations have to come into play here.

With this particular situation, I believe that Bajaluna had taken appropriate measures to make sure her dog didnt come into contact with the kids - it was the kids mother who ignored the instructions and her actions that caused the consequences., and whilst 50 stitches is a lot - i cut my leg when I was 10 and needed 20 stitches but it wasnt that big a gash - just the shape of it that required the amount, so 50 stitches doesnt necessarily mean that the dog ripped her face off in a frenzied attack it means it had a big jaw and bit. I do think there is a bit of a difference - so if there had been 1 stitch - would that make a difference to the outcome of the dog in some of yours eyes ??

As for other situations - bruno is not a guard dog, but a few years ago 4 kids jumped over our 6ft fence at the back of our garden... bruno wasnt in the garden at the time but I always wondered what he would have done had he been - he does "patrol " the fence line and although he is a big softy it does make me wonder would he have done anything?

Would I have PTS if he had bitten them - certainly not.

I have to say even if Bruno gave a warning nip to Luca I wouldnt have him PTS - i mean thats what I am talking about here - not attacks etc - If we are saying that any bite any situation - would you PTS - no way. It would certainly depend on the situation.
Blooming good post.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I'm still 100% with you on this bajaluna.

There is NOTHING ok about a dog attacking a child, but why should Bajaluna have been punished by losing her best friend when it was the child's mother's fault??

Sal, I hear what you're saying about a child who's been attacked and am in no way trying to make it seem less of a problem but what good would having a dog pts do?? There are millions and millions of other dogs out there, under less control so having one destroyed is not going to help with a fear of dogs.

It was the mother's fault, why should bajaluna have suffered by the loss of her friend??

I 100% agree that a dog should not be allowed to attack a child, but this dog wasn't allowed - he was locked up in a place he felt comfortable and the situation explained to the parents of the children.

What I really can't see is what good would come of having such a dog destroyed and why, if you should have a dog that's attacked destroyed, you shouldn't have any dog that shows any level of aggression destroyed?!

My point being - destroying a dog after an attack is useless, it's already attacked. Fair enough, if you don't feel you can control that dog but if your lifestyle allows you to and you are able to, then why not keep it?

Knowing Takara, I know she'd be uncomfortable when cornered by a group of kids (she just keeps away from them) but she would snap at the air and it'd take a lot for her to go any further. On top of that, she has fantastic bite inhibition so if she did bite, it wouldn't even break the skin but it would scare a child off and allow her to get free.

I adore her though - she's my life saver and my best friend and if someone broke into my house and threatened her enough for her to seriously hurt them then there is no way I'd let her be destroyed without putting up a fight!!

even though I have 2 young kids, I have to say i totally agree, the mother had no right to go into the house she put her own child at risk. The dog would never have bitten if it hadn't been put into that situation. It acted to defend itself, as it felt threatened. Am with you Bajaluna, I would not have PTS either
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 31 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »