Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
They are when they have been bred for a correct temperament for the breed. They would not be one of the primary choices for guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, dogs for the disabled and as working gundogs if they were 'difficult' dogs. Individuals within any breed Labs included can be difficult, but as a breed on the whole they should not be.
But then I suppose it depends what you find difficult and easy. As I say, I find Spencer an easy dog, my hubby on the other hand finds him very difficult. His intelligence, energy level and desire to be doing something with you are what I find make him easy and highly enjoyable and they're the exact same things my hubby finds difficult.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
The best thing to do is to see the dog behavior professional, but if i would be you i would try one thing: once he performs any unaccepted behavior put him straight down on back and you sit on top, but in the way that it doesn't hurt him, so u feel your body! Place your hands over the throat till and say the words you usually say when he does wrong for example "NO" or "BAD" whatever you use...Do it till he comes down, it might take up to 5-15 seconds no longer.

Be careful once you sit on him, as mentioned make sure you don't hurt him on his chest. The reason why this works, is because it shows you are in control over your dog and you are a boss. Next time he should be scared to perform unexpected behavior, because he will remember what will happen. It might take 5-10 times every time he does something very wrong, like biting you... If it doesn't improve then immediately see the dog trainer.

OMG Are you a dog breaker ?? this is a technique that any self respecting dog trainer or behaviourist would never ever even consider.

Where on earth did you dig this dreadful technique up from ??

To the OP please ignore this stupid suggestion
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 05:58 PM
You don't use any pressure to hurt him, you just show that you are a boss and this unexpected behavior.This method was used from my previous dog behaviorist.

Some people shout, or punish them in a very bad physical way which is a total NO for me, and in most cases doesn't work as it can put even more aggression!

If he would be a puppy then also another method used by most dog behaviorist is to take them from the back like the dog mummy does to correct their behavior.

Have a look over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMyA...eature=related
"mummy"dog ?? I've never ever seen a bitch do such a thing to any of her puppies & I've seen 100's of bitches with their puppies of all ages
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
My dog doesn't live in fear my dog respects me and I respect him! Since he did it never happen again, I have no problems with his behavior because he knows I am his pack leader. Read about dog dominance over the humans, there are many books written about it. Once your read about you will understand what it means.

"If you don't let your dog know your the dominate person in the pack your dog will always challenge you. Dog has different mentality from us humans and you have to act and speak dog language"
, otherwise your relationship with your dog will be what you have now.
I suggest you watch one of the best dog behaviorist videos Cesar's Dog Training! You will get many tips and he uses this method as well! Good luck

Millan is not a behaviourist he is an untrained unqualified TV presenter who believes in incorrect theories based on artifical wolf packs kept in zoos & wildlife parks.

Even one of the wolf experts who thought this theory was correct has by observing real wild wolf packs has corrected his beliefs.

Wolf packs have no "dominant"or alpha leaders, they are conprised of a fairly unrelated breeding pair & their offspring from several litters. They have no need to punish their offspring & as only the breeding female has litters & is mated there is never a situation in which one of the younger wolves pushes for"domination"of the pack. As the cubs reach sexual maturity they lead the pack to form their own.

Try googling David Mech a real expert in wolf behaviour.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:12 PM
It's also worth training at home(if you have a big enough garden/yard)off lead & using treats with or without a clicker

This description & advice on loose lead walking is not too bad
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:16 PM
You don't use any pressure to hurt him, you just show that you are a boss and this unexpected behavior.This method was used from my previous dog behaviorist.
But surely you are old enough to see that violence breeds violence? I think you need to move away from bullying as a training method - and I`m really pleased that the OP is intelligent enough to see that using physical force and incurring fear in an animal is cruel.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Sit on the dog's chest and get your hands round it's neck?
I've never heard anything like it. The only situation I can even remotely imagine myself doing anything like that with a dog would be if it was trying to kill me or eat my dog!

I did once hold onto a dog by the skin on the top of its head at arm's length until its owner got it away from me. Hurt my bliddy hand - it was bruised and swollen for AGES afterwards where I'd held on with all my strength!

Certainly wouldn't consider anything like what has been suggested for 'training' my own dog.

Surely your dog would end up just being 'frightened of you'?
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Sit on the dog's chest and get your hands round it's neck?
I've never heard anything like it. The only situation I can even remotely imagine myself doing anything like that with a dog would be if it was trying to kill me or eat my dog!

I did once hold onto a dog by the skin on the top of its head at arm's length until its owner got it away from me. Hurt my bliddy hand - it was bruised and swollen for AGES afterwards where I'd held on with all my strength!

Certainly wouldn't consider anything like what has been suggested for 'training' my own dog.

Surely your dog would end up just being 'frightened of you'?
I am not an expert on this, I just shared what the dog behaviorist did on mine. I have given some links to watch on youtube too, I would never do something without asking a professional before stating something like that!

As I said, one of the best dog trainers Cesar Millan uses this method too. How you can say it will frighten your dog, if you have no practice to back it up...
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
OMG Are you a dog breaker ?? this is a technique that any self respecting dog trainer or behaviourist would never ever even consider.

Where on earth did you dig this dreadful technique up from ??

To the OP please ignore this stupid suggestion
If you would know more about dog trainers and behaviorists and read more books about it and watch professional videos, you would have different opinion!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 07:10 PM
As I said, one of the best dog trainers Cesar Millan uses this method too. How you can say it will frighten your dog, if you have no practice to back it up...
I have never had a gun to my head but I'm pretty sure it'd frighten me if it happened!
"Best" is subjective, I would certainly not rate Cesar Milan as a top trainer.
Page 8 of 15 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »