Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Who said otherwise

The question was asked, why would you want your dog to bite a sleeve that is attached to an arm !
and SB answered that
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Horrendous video with complete A**hole handler.

There are quite a few macho type people involved with Schutzhund I think, and some of the handlers are still fairly old school but certainly not all. And I don't think it is exclusive to Sch or bite sports...

The worst training abuse I have seen has been a gundog trainer, I've never personally seen a NICE gundog trainer but I am sure they are out there. Its the same with Competitive OB, I know some lovely positive handlers and I know some (sweet old lady lookalikes!!) who are really harsh and get really frustrated with the dog if they they don't win.

People will be the people they are, in whatever sport they are participating in.

To answer the question about why would I want my dog to bite a sleeve, my answer is because he loves it so much. And I like to do stuff that makes him happy, and pretty much nothing makes him as happy as bitework and tracking which are 2 of the components of Schutzhund.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No I think it is better to use Tasers and guns.
I agree with SB. Far better to have other non-lethal options to subdue criminals than to just shoot them - although a bullet would be a good idea in some cases!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:49 PM
There is a possibility that people who are critical have never actually trained a dog to do very much, that might explain why it is thought that highly trained dogs might go AWOL?

Asking why you would want your dog to do anything is a bit like asking why you would want to participate in any sport---with or without an animal.

Training the way we now do changes the relationship between owners and dogs and raises it to a whole new level. Obviously the video shown doesn't come into that catagory---sadly many people still have a long way to go and maybe in 50 years time we will have moved on again and more people will realise how amazing the communication can be between dogs and humans.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't know a huge amount about Schutzhund. However, wasn't the sport developed originally to measure the working ability and temperament of the GSD, in order to breed from the best examples of working dogs?

Schutzhund also comprises of three sections - obedience, tracking and protection. It is all about overall control of the dog. I would imagine that, if that is the case, that many of the competitors train and compete because they want to develop and test all aspects of their dog's character.

As I said earlier, I don't think there is any doubt in most people's minds that this type of sport does attract macho egotistical type of (mainly) men, but that is not to say that ALL in the sport are like this.
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
the same reason I would want it to catch rabbits, retrieve shot game, jump over lots of obstacles, totter round a show ring, or do doggy dancing.

Because it is a fun activity for both dog and owner.
I agree entirely with the above.
I think the video is appauling, as would any right minded soul. It is no way to treat a dog or indeed anything, we do bitework for PD stake in working trials, and the dogs adore it, from the little collies and working sheep dogs right up to the larger breeds.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Here is my dog training last year..I am trying to work on capping his excitement (he barks because he is just sooooo excited) so he gets rewarded (by a clicker) for a few paces of quiet. Is there anything about this video that looks macho? Especially my pink coat and groovy hat?

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=010-15.mp4

Or this video (different club) - note both helpers have clickers attached to them and lots of praise.

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=021-13.mp4
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:03 PM
What a bizzare thread! Why do people do any sport, or for that matter, why do people show their dogs?? It's all for the same reasons I can't undersyand why Schutzhund is being targetted for a witch hunt?

You should hear some of the tales of abuse gundogs have had to endure. My OH once witnessed a guy pick up his spaniel and drop kick it - should we assume all gundog people are like this?

I train my dogs to jump over poles, possibly the most pointless sport in existence, do I need a reason to do it other than I enjoy training it and the dogs love it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't know a huge amount about Schutzhund. However, wasn't the sport developed originally to measure the working ability and temperament of the GSD, in order to breed from the best examples of working dogs?

Schutzhund also comprises of three sections - obedience, tracking and protection. It is all about overall control of the dog. I would imagine that, if that is the case, that many of the competitors train and compete because they want to develop and test all aspects of their dog's character.

As I said earlier, I don't think there is any doubt in most people's minds that this type of sport does attract macho egotistical type of (mainly) men, but that is not to say that ALL in the sport are like this.

Yes clubs do not allow people to come and train ONY in protection, if you look at any of the clubs on the net they usually specifically state this, you MUST come for all three phases.

In addition, if you and/or your dog are deemed unsuitable (which usually means that either you and/or your dog are potentially dangerous) there are usually no vacancies.

I shall compete in Schutzhund again hopefully with my next dog (Malinois) and I am not macho or male (but I am very egotistical).

And yes Schutzhund is a breeding suitability test unlike many of the other similar sports. It is designed to demonstrate the all round capabilities of the GSD, however other breeds can and do take part including

Airedale Terriers
Hovawarts
BSD
ASD

and more

To compete in the FCI worlds your dog has to be one of the breeds the FCI recognise for this.

In the UK, any breed can participate and I was present when a LABRADOR got its Schutzhund 1
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Horrible video
What an amazing dog tho, goes tru all that and still keeps on working, I really wish someone decent would take the dog out of that guys hands and show him how he could really shine when trained with kindness

Just to balance things out - here is how happy dogs can be training
tHat is Brilliant, BenMc. I met Mary Rea, at portsmouth show. She was lovely. Her Doggies loved her so much. Total respect and Devotion. I think You Tube is Great, But Horrible, too. That poor Mali, was so devoted, and the bloke needs a good hiding.... and the poor Dog taken away from him. It will never happen. We can not control every horrible person. We can not save every poor Dog. The Human Race.. in general, is horrible.
Page 8 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »