View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:28 PM
It certainly sounds like colitis to me. Hope the vet can shed some light on it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Well I sent a dog to New Zealand and to go there they need worming with three diferent types of wormers about three times in the 30 day period before they go. I did not seem to do her any harm.

Check with the vet but I would be inclined to give the 3 day panacur sooner rather than later. And do a follow up after just incase.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
I don't have anything to add to this except I definately think a vet visit is in order, if anything just to help you.

One thing I would say is "relax" stop over thinking this... ie: the ball and dirt etc.. remember she is a dog, they eat sh*t, they eat dirt, they eat stuff we wouldn't think was possible but they do! and they deal with it in their own way. I feed my girls a lovely healthy grain free diet it costs plenty of $'s but TBH they would be just as happy with horse sh*t!!!

I hope I don't sound patronising so I am sorry if it appears like this, BUT, could you obsessing over the poop situation be causing the poop situation - in a way, following her around, being in the poop as soon as it appears etc.. I know I used to be like that with Daisy and it is SO hard not to be like that. But they pick up on everything, and it sounds like Zena is a really sensitive girl who is picking up on your anxiety, you worry about her poop before it has even appeared and so she tenses up get anxious and then - voila... runny poop!

I really have no idea I am just trying to help you understand what is going on!
Lol! Yes, I know I sound kind of paranoid about this poop, but honestly, I don't follow her around, she only does 2 in the mornings, maybe one on a walk occassionally, and she's done them before I even come downstairs, I just make my cuppa and head out the door with the bags (and magnifying glass lol!).

I could have lived with it, the intermittent runny stuff, just like I've learned to live with the throwing up a meal in the middle of it, I could live with all of that, except what came out of her last Friday, that wasn't right at all and had to be whisked off to the vets on the instructions of the receptionist when I rang them up about it, so I wasn't even being paranoid then, I was only ringing them to ask if I should bring the whole lot down considering what was on top of it and whether they could send it off for testing. She was the one who said, that isn't right, zena must be brought down with the sample, which I did, but he never saw her that day, didn't think it was wise, coz of stressing her out.

That gagging she was doing for no reason, she'd suddenly start gagging, coughing, heaving when just coming in from the garden on occasions, just so weird, and of course, I tied it all in with this vomiting she was doing at the time, all that has stopped and now I'm left with big, globules of goooe and blood on her mr whippy's I look at it this way, if I was c*apping like that, I'm darn sure I'd be off to the quack, it's just not normal to me, not even for a dog, especially a fit and healthy looking one. Would I ever be able to forgive myself, if suddenly one night she took a real bad turn for the worse, they discovered something that could have been easily treated, and I just left it and ignored it? I just couldn't do that. This isn't right, I'm sure it's not. I've had dogs for many, many years who've had the sh*ts and got over it, it hasn't gone on for months on end with vomiting and gagging preceeding it all.

Maybe it's because of my previous dog and her problems that weren't diagnosed, who turned out to have EPI, and ended up heamoorhaging (sp?) at both ends at 3 am in the morning and ended up on a drip for 5 days with a vet who couldn't believe she was still alive each day. I dunno, I don't want to go there again ya see.

My other half's answer to it all is "it's just dogs being dogs" lol! Maybe I should just sit back and ignore it and see how it goes, gonna be hard mind
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Well I sent a dog to New Zealand and to go there they need worming with three diferent types of wormers about three times in the 30 day period before they go. I did not seem to do her any harm.

Check with the vet but I would be inclined to give the 3 day panacur sooner rather than later. And do a follow up after just incase.
That's just how I feel about it, I really want to do that Panacur this week, if only to get this worm idea out of my head. That's interesting about your dog, but I do remember my vet saying to me once that I couldn't worm all the time she was like this, and then of course, when she's ok again, I don't do it I bought a horse once, who had to go in for something minor and they told me he was "riddled" with redworm, and they wormed him every single day for a week to rid him of them and he survived!
thanks leadstaffs.

Thanks Kirsty, hopefully the vet will give her something tomorrow and allow me to worm with the Granofen by the end of this week or sooner I hope!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Bloody hell Helen I was hoping that things might have been sorted by now. Must admit that colitus crossed my mind. I used to groom an Airedale who had it and the descriptions of poo and mucus sound very similar. I didn't worm Alfie in the end as we are back to normal with his poos. I have been super strict with his food but he did manage to eat what can only be described as an alien on the beach the other day! I only realised this when he threw up later (I wasn't home) and so I checked through the disposed of bag when I got in. Hideous looking mess it was but no other ill effects thank goodness.

Poor you and poor Zena, although she sounds like she's got the better end of the deal here! Deep breaths Helen, you'll get it sorted xxxxxxxxxx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Come in very late on this discussion Helena, but this sounds to me like what my poor daughter would pass when she had her Crohns flare up - she would produce sometimes what looked like very runny liver, mixed up with bits of colon from where her guts were so frazzled. Sorry to be so graphic everyone, but I am trying to help H. The tubey bits COULD be bits of colon ...

is there any chance this could be Cryptosporidium? (I am thinking biosolids here again ... have they spread that around you again this year H?).
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that Panacur will kill Crypto as well as parasites and giardia ... it wouldn't hurt to 3-day Panacur - in fact, make that 5-day. Our vet's advice now for our 2 is to dose for 5 days when they get giardiasis.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:35 PM
H, I think that it is time to stop speculating here and sit back and let your instincts take over in the short term, until you see the vet. You know your dog better than anyone else, and I expect that writing everything down on here as you have done is helping you to clarify things a little.

You trust your vet don't you, and you trust your instincts too. As with any illness or set of symptoms, there can be many different causes, but between the two of you I know that before very long Zena will be over this episode.

It's no good telling you not to worry, that would be a daft thing to say, but please try to believe that this will be sorted out very soon.

By the way, your husband sounds exactly like mine.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh blimey, I missed all of the H! Poor old Zena, and poor old you! I hope you find out what it is soon and that it all gets sorted soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Come in very late on this discussion Helena, but this sounds to me like what my poor daughter would pass when she had her Crohns flare up - she would produce sometimes what looked like very runny liver, mixed up with bits of colon from where her guts were so frazzled. Sorry to be so graphic everyone, but I am trying to help H. The tubey bits COULD be bits of colon ...

is there any chance this could be Cryptosporidium? (I am thinking biosolids here again ... have they spread that around you again this year H?).
Blimey, had to Google that one Nikki, never heard of that, but I'll investigate it after I've had me sarnie!! Bits of liver, yes, but this wasn't red, it was more bright pink (the stuff that was lying on top of her poo on Friday that I took in for evaluation). If those tubey bits ARE bits of colon then surely the microbiologist chap who's doing the tests will spot that and it'll come up in his report. Hope so, Thanks for all that info, I'll be busy on Google again for a while then.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe that Panacur will kill Crypto as well as parasites and giardia ... it wouldn't hurt to 3-day Panacur - in fact, make that 5-day. Our vet's advice now for our 2 is to dose for 5 days when they get giardiasis.
I'll be asking about that 5 day course then. It's very safe is Panacur along with the Granofen that I use from my vets. Thanks again Nikki. Yes, we get the spreading over the road of those biosolids but I never venture over there! Does this sound like giardias again to you Nikki? It's that awful smell that goes with it that's reminding me of it, let alone the colour!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
H, I think that it is time to stop speculating here and sit back and let your instincts take over in the short term, until you see the vet. You know your dog better than anyone else, and I expect that writing everything down on here as you have done is helping you to clarify things a little.

You trust your vet don't you, and you trust your instincts too. As with any illness or set of symptoms, there can be many different causes, but between the two of you I know that before very long Zena will be over this episode.

It's no good telling you not to worry, that would be a daft thing to say, but please try to believe that this will be sorted out very soon.

By the way, your husband sounds exactly like mine.
Thanks Sally. I wish I could say I trust my vets, but hand on heart, it's too big a concern, they're a big hospital, they're people vets as opposed to animal vets, everytime you go in there you come out £200 lighter I've heard so many horror stories of them opening dogs up to do more tests, and then the owners have been telephoned to say the dog didn't make it can we have our £700. I stick with them coz of their 24/7 service, which the others don't have nearby, and having been send home at 3 am in the morning with my previous dog having to watch her splatter the walls with blood coming out of every orifice, watching her slowly dwindle and fade before we could take her in at 8.30 wasn't a good experience, so it's imperative for me to know that I can take any of my dogs down there in the middle of the night and not be sent home again and have to wait for them to open.

My instinct is telling me to take her for the appointment tomorrow, so I will. Thanks Sally.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Oh blimey, I missed all of the H! Poor old Zena, and poor old you! I hope you find out what it is soon and that it all gets sorted soon.
Thanks Amanda, I'm getting greyer by the day here!!!xxxx
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >